where is the file that tells fsx which airplane folder to load?

giorgoskoy

Im trying to make a separate folder for all addon planes, for the default fsx ones and one for other aircraft im testing.I found out that it loads only the folders with the name Airplanes, Rotorcraft, Misc, Animals, Boats and GroundVehicles. There should be a file that tells fsx to load these specific folders if anyone has figured out a way to do it pls help also if there is any other way to organize the airplanes a i said above.

Thanks in advance.

George.

The Sim will only load any aircraft in a folder called airplanes, Rotocraft, etc. I keep my addon aircraft that I don't fly often in a separate folder called Hangar, or Hangar-Military. I'll pull the individual aircraft from one of those and place in the Airplanes folder for flying or testing.

Only other thing I can think of is to rename your individual folders to Airplanes and rename the original Airplanes folder to Airplanes_orig. and it will show your new folder of addon aircraft. Be sure to place the renamed folder inside of the SimObjects folder.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I have my WOAI Traffic aircraft in their own SimObjects folder, to activate it I just added this line to the [Main] section in FSX.cfg:

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\WOAI Traffic

You can create any folder name you like in the SimObjects folder and add it to the FSX.cfg SimObjectPaths list.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

There should be a file that tells fsx to load these specific folders if anyone has figured out a way to do it pls help also if there is any other way to organize the airplanes a i said above.

As Tim says, the section of the fsx.cfg file that he mentioned allows you to set things up however you like. In fact, the default .cfg file shows you the default setup, but you can change that however you like. You do have to be careful about the path name, though, and notice that the default is all set up to be under the root folder of FSX. I've not tried other locations, but they might be available. Certainly you can put scenery anywhere you like by using the scenery library commands, so aircraft might be available that way -- still, as I said, I've not tried it.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I agree with Tim and Larry....but my impression of what the OP wants is to only see certain aircraft when he runs the Sim. Like only see addon aircraft that he wants to test and not see any default aircraft. At least, that's my interpretation.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I agree with Tim and Larry....but my impression of what the OP wants is to only see certain aircraft when he runs the Sim. Like only see addon aircraft that he wants to test and not see any default aircraft. At least, that's my interpretation.

In which case, commenting out the paths he doesn't want prior to starting the sim would allow controlling exactly where FSX looks, without the trouble of retyping each path each time.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

I have my WOAI Traffic aircraft in their own SimObjects folder, to activate it I just added this line to the [Main] section in FSX.cfg:

You can create any folder name you like in the SimObjects folder and add it to the FSX.cfg SimObjectPaths list.

Tiger1962 - I tried as you said, made a WOAI Folder & added the string to the FSX.cfg to see if it would work and it did but it took all my default AI out. I deleted the WOAI folder and removed the string I added and now I don't have any AI. How do I get the Default AI back?

I like being in control of MY computer and my sim setup...

first off: my simobjects list inside FSX.cfg

I have a few add-on aircraft inside the \airplanes folder but most are isolated to their own folder

[Main]

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter

SimObjectPaths.6=G:\AI_Boats

SimObjectPaths.7=G:\AI_Aircraft

SimObjectPaths.8=G:\Addon_Aircraft

Prostock: keep in mind that WOAI traffic files are usually in FS9 format and will (if present) prevent FSX format traffic files from running. Additionally, I keep my various traffic types in individual folders so they can be turned on/off at will - The default traffic files are initially found in scenery\world\scenery IIRC but they will work in ANY activated scenery folder so...

[Area.180]

Title=Ship traffic X

Local=Addon Scenery\AI Ship traffic X

Layer=225

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.181]

Title=addonTrafficMisc

Local=Addon Scenery\addonTrafficMisc

Layer=226

Active=FALSE

Required=FALSE

[Area.182]

Title=addonTrafficMil

Local=Addon Scenery\addonTrafficMil

Layer=227

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.183]

Title=addonTrafficGA

Local=Addon Scenery\addonTrafficGA

Layer=228

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

You created a WOAI folder for... the aircraft or the traffic files? If you put the planes in there, and then deleted them you wouldn't see any AI Traffic if the traffic files are still active which is what you are saying you did even if that's not what you meant. Are your WOAI traffic files active?? you need to find out and then deactivate/move them to get the default traffic back.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Thanks Loyd for explaining it to me. In short, It's fixed by getting a copy of the default AI-Traffic.bgl file and placing it in the scenery\world\scenery folder. I also had to delete the AI File it made for the 1 AI plane I installed.

To answer your questions: I created a WOAI Folder to extract the WOAI Airplanes into inside of Simobjects. I have no idea if they were still active or not. I deleted that folder from Airplanes\Simobjects. I also searched appdata\microsoft\fsx and deleted what was related. Also removed the line from FSX.cfg. I then replaced the AI-Traffic.bgl with the fresh copy & now I have my Default AI back.

I have a question? How can I get my Default AI to play nice with WOAI ? Or is there a better solution? I don't know how to covert WOAI to FSX so that's not an option. Right? Thanks

Along these same lines, when adding the folders suggested in Posts 3 & 9, is there some way such that only one folder of airframes show on the Aircraft Selection page, rather than all of the items in the 9 folders listed in post 9? ie: Show only :"Boats" or "Rotorcraft" rather than everything posted in Simobjects? I'd rather not have to edit every entry's aircraft.cfg ui category, if possible.

I9-10850K, Mugen 5 cooler, Gigagbyte Aorus Z490 Master, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2, 1TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 870evo, Corsair RM-850, G-Skill DDR-4 3600, Lian Li LanCool Mesh, Nvidia 3070Ti, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, MFG Crosswind pedals, Win10 Pro

If I've read your last post correct, instead of having separate folders for boats, rotorcraft, airplanes etc you want everything in one folder, then if so that is a bad idea.

That folder would be very big plus harder to fine certain items you may wish to edit, remove etc, as others have said having separate folders is far better.

Can you imagine if that also happened on your PC and everything was in one folder, I'm really not too sure what you are looking for, if it is to keep things tidy then the separate folder idea is the best way.

Along these same lines, when adding the folders suggested in Posts 3 & 9, is there some way such that only one folder of airframes show on the Aircraft Selection page, rather than all of the items in the 9 folders listed in post 9? ie: Show only :"Boats" or "Rotorcraft" rather than everything posted in Simobjects? I'd rather not have to edit every entry's aircraft.cfg ui category, if possible.

At the top of the Select Aircraft window in the sim, there are three drop-down menus for filtering the list of flyable aircraft/driveable vehicles/sailable boats:

Aircraft manufacturer, Publisher, and Aircraft type.

Click on Aircraft type and select the one you want to choose from, and only that type will be shown.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Only the folders listed in the fsx.cfg are loaded.

If you don't want to see the rotorcraft, close fsx, then remove the line

simobjects---rotorcraft. And save the fsx.cfg file. Then start fsx.

To see them again, close fsx, add the line back, start fsx.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

where can i find the FSX.cfg file i cant seem to find it anywhere

If he removes his 'SimObjects/Airplanes' in fsx cfg he will be back with the problem of not having the C-172 as the default flight when fsx starts a flight and then discovers that nothing flys right. Hehe.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

If he removes his 'SimObjects/Airplanes' in fsx cfg he will be back with the problem of not having the C-172 as the default flight when fsx starts a flight and then discovers that nothing flys right. Hehe.

Chuck B

Napamule

Don't delete aircraft or entries in the .cfg, especially not default.

There are several ways to remove them from view without actually deleting them.

Perhaps be a little more explicit about what you are trying to achieve - and why?

Just making the menu selectable on startup would seem an obvious solution to your `problem`; or select the .flt directly so it contains aircraft and scenario ready-to-go and have that launch the sim. Have you considered that?

Certainly changing default folders and locations of files is most definitely NOT the way to go about it...

If you don't want to see the rotorcraft, close fsx, then remove the line

simobjects---rotorcraft. And save the fsx.cfg file. Then start fsx.

Why remove the line -- just comment it out. That just means add a pair of slashes to the front of the line:

// SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

Then the sim won't read that line, but you don't have to add it when you want it back, just remove the pair of slashes from the beginning of the line.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Why remove the line -- just comment it out. That just means add a pair of slashes to the front of the line:

// SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

Then the sim won't read that line, but you don't have to add it when you want it back, just remove the pair of slashes from the beginning of the line.

Pointless. It does the same thing as making the folder `invisible` to the sim.

Not AT ALL what one wants to do and retain a fully-functioning sim.

Lets wait for the OP to expand on what he is trying to achieve, assuming he does want to retain a fully-functioning sim.

I think my post, #11, was misinterpreted. I don't want to lump all vehicles in one folder. I wish to create folders like Military Props, Mil Jets, Civilian Props, Experimental, etc. and have only vehicles in these folders appears for selection. Tim, I think you hit the nail about the aircraft type, but what that means, I'll have to touch every ac.cfg and update the aircraft type. If so, How could I update the drop down list that is offered. I'd like to differentiate "Warbirds" into WW1, WW2, Modern. Is there a way to add to this drop down selection in the Aircraft Type?? Thanks for any ideas....Terry

I9-10850K, Mugen 5 cooler, Gigagbyte Aorus Z490 Master, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2, 1TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 870evo, Corsair RM-850, G-Skill DDR-4 3600, Lian Li LanCool Mesh, Nvidia 3070Ti, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, MFG Crosswind pedals, Win10 Pro

No. Can't select a subset in the selection menu.

Create the folders in simobjects.

Add a line for each of the folders in the fsx.cfg file.

Then to make your selection, use the // in the fsx.cfg file to switch off folders you don't want during that session. (have to switch off folders before starting fsx.)

the plane that is in your default flight (usually the ultralight) does need to be there and not disabled.

(.the default plane in fsx is not the c172.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the plane that is in your default flight (usually the ultralight) does need to be there and not disabled.

(.the default plane in fsx is not the c172.)

Unless you've changed it to be the C172, parked on the ramp and engine off. Making the Trike in the air was the silliest thing MS's ACES team ever did, IMHO.

As for "sorting" of aircraft types, that's a simple as editing the aircraft.cfg file for each of your aircraft, and using whatever name you want. For example:

ui_typerole="WWI Military"

ui_typerole="WWII Military"

ui_typerole="Korea Military"

ui_typerole="Vietnam Military"

ui_typerole="Desert Storm Miliitary"

et cetera. You can then filter your selection to "see" only those specific "typerole" aircraft in the menu!

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Il88pp, Thank you for the reply.. I was afraid of that... Bill, thank you for confirming what I suspected. I was hoping I wouldn't have to touch each and every ac.cfg... but I think it's an extensive exercise that will eventually pay off. Thanks to one and all who contributed..Great ideas....

I said to MAKE the C-172 the DEFAULT 'flight' (that load when FSX starts) to simplify your sim experience, and I did not say that it is the 'default' anything.

He says he doesn't want to 'touch' the cfgs. How else are you going to tell the Sim what simobjects are available?

You double click the aircraft.cfg, it opens with notepad, you make your edit(s) and click 'SAVE'. (Windows KNOWS the path and thus which cfg you have open, so no need for 'Save As' or to browse - just do 'File>Save'. Done. You do the FSX.cfg the same way. Dbl Click to Open, edit, SAVE.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived