There is no such thing as "slightly pregnant"

asos

"Too much power" is just about enough...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

A Greek proverb wisely says "the is no such thing as slightly pregnant".

An fs-related comment I can make is:

There is no such thing as a professional flight simmer.

See if you can add your own comments.

I've read that Leonardo Da Vinci loathed creation, or pregnancy, intercourse and all that rot. Very strange fellow. But he did envision the Aerial screw and the tank about 400 years before they were built.

Shame. No Aerial screw here in the library. LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M-XA2L2T3I

Well would you look at that. It has a clock, gyro and magnetometer. LOL

RoRwgdM.jpg

I'm referring to the video. You have to watch it. It's about Da Vinci. :D

In this day & age they call that a smartphone.

"professional" means the person is paid for doing something, so it is doubtful there are any professional simmers (unless perhaps paid beta testers, if any such still exist in any phase of gaming)

I am a professional developer of flight simulator aircraft and gauge systems, so I would qualify as a "professional simmer" I should think. :D

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

A Greek proverb wisely says "the is no such thing as slightly pregnant".

An fs-related comment I can make is:

There is no such thing as a professional flight simmer.

See if you can add your own comments.

Scenario 1: A virtual flight is planned for a large, detailed and realistic virtual airliner. During the flight, strong headwinds are encountered during cruise. En route, a "USING RSV FUEL" message pops up in the flight management computer.

Casual flight simmer: "Whateva!". Continues to destination uneventfully. Keeps clearing the message every time it pops up. Knows that the chance of him diverting in the sim is close to 0. And frankly doesn't care.

Professional flight simmer: Absolutely shattered and guilt-stricken. Diverts to an en-route adequate airport and proceeds to file an air safety report against himself for failing to plan his flight properly.

Scenario 2: Landing a large, heavy and fast airliner at an airport where the visibility is reported to be 1km. The runway has a CAT 1 ILS with a DH of 250 ft. The RVR is reported to be 600m. At DH, the runway lights are not visible. Visibility feels lower than reported and that would imply the RVR is off too.

Casual flight simmer: Doesn't even flinch at DH. Continues down and makes aggressive control movements to stay on the glideslope and localizer. The runway comes into view at 50 ft. AGL and he see's off to the left. Banks right just enough to keep the RH nacelle off the ground. The aircraft awkwardly touches down and rolls out with aggressive rudder inputs taking place. No damn is given and the flight ends uneventfully. After all, any landing you can walk away from is a good one.

Professional flight simmer: Goes around and flies the published missed approach procedure. Enters into a hold. Contemplates about and curses the inaccurate weather report. Seeing that conditions aren't improving, leaves the pattern and diverts to the alternate airport.

EDIT:

RSV fuel = Final-Reserve-Fuel + Alternate-trip-fuel + Alternate-holding-fuel

Final reserve fuel = minimum fuel that can be in the tanks when landing. Fuel quantity remaining should never go below this number. ICAO standards put this at 30 minutes of flying time. FAA puts it at 45 minutes of flying time.

So if you get a "USING RSV FUEL" message, then it means you don't have enough fuel to divert to your alternate airport from your destination and hold over there if required.

For your reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrument_landing_system#ILS_categories

Archived