Getting an Object Placer to Work FSX Steam Edition

Ralie25

Hi there,

So I have tried countless times to get an object placer to work in my version of FSX. I use FSX Steam on the Steam app and neither Flight 1 Instant Scenery 3 will work nor will Abacus's scenery shortcut. A strange thing I came across is that I don't have the file under users/app data which a number of people have referred to.

Let me know of any suggestions as to how I can get an object placer working in FSX Steam!

Best

Sure you have an users/app folder. You need to go to the control panel under folder options and show hidden files.

Question: Is steam installed to the root of C drive? The path for steam and FSX would be C:\Steam\FSX. That may or may not be an issue.

A strange thing I came across is that I don't have the file under users/app data which a number of people have referred to.

The Instant Scenery 3 installer will have created a new Appdata folder in:

C:/Users/[your user name]/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX

You'll need to copy the Instant Scenery entry there and paste it into the FSX-SE one here:

C:/Users/[your user name]/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX-SE

You can then delete the AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX folder.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Ok so turns out I do have the location C/users/user/appdata/roaming/Microsoft/FSX directory. Within this location I have one dll.xml (note that there are differences with capital letters etc) I also have a dll.xml.bak file. Both of these have been modified so that the object placer is set to "true". Also the path has been changed as per this article https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=437716297

I have searched high and low for the DLL.XML file mentioned in the above article. Even with hidden files deactivated, when I went on somewhat of a hunt for these files (used search) I altered all of them to no avail i.e. object placer didn't come up under 'tools' on FSX.

In answer to your question, FSX is installed like this: c/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/FSX

Let me know of any more options, much appreciated!!

Ok well I have returned instant scenery to Flight 1 so will see if I can get the default object placer to work before I consider buying IS3 again. Curious you say there will be a new Appdata folder in the first location you mention above, do you mean I have to copy an entry into the dll.xml file from the FSX location and then transfer that over to the FSX-SE dll.xml? The FSX-SE dll.xml only has a few lines in it and doesn't have anything to do with an object placer as far as I can see

Yes you'd have to copy the dll.xml file entry from the FSX folder to the dll.xml entry in the FSX-SE folder. Here's one from my FSX folder, which is for Flight1's AFX module:

AFXModule

False

False

C:\Program Files (x86)\AFX\AFXModuleFSX.dll

Copy this section in your FSX dll.xml file for Instant Scenery and carefully paste it into the same position in the list in your FSX-SE dll.xml file.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Ok no problem, if I go with IS3 again I'll try it out.

However it is with spectacular joy that I am able to confirm that I have been able to get the object placer to work. Thanks to CRJ_simpilot for the tip regards hidden files. Very much appreciated!!

For now this is closed, thanks to all involved for helping me get an object placer up and running!

Archived