Cpu fan failure???

I heard a loud pop come from my desktop computer last night. and then this morning I go to go flying and I got a CPU FAN FAILURE message. so does that mean that it got the mother board to or just toast my fan? cause it started normally so I hope it's just the fan. cause the CPU fan don't run so I shut it back down and unplugged the computer.
giving up on flight simulation for good:D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I heard a loud pop coming from MY computer I would immediately shut it down and I would NEVER turn it back on unless I went in and looked at what might have made that loud pop. Granted, sometimes you can't tell what, if anything, happended by just looking. But you gotta look!

New MBs will 'sense' that the fan is gone when CPU heats up and will shut PC down. You got message 'CPU Fan Failure' so no need to guess. Go get a new CPU fan and that should fix it. Not hard to do if you are careful (don't force anything). Take a picture of 'before' so you can run cables, etc, as it was before.

Go to YouTube and search 'CPU fan error message' for how-to videos. Some are specific, some are general info. But it is better than nothing (or guessing). At any rate you should at least go into the BIOS and POWER settings and see what gives. Take you time (3 days?) to fix. Just don't ignore any warnings. Hope you get you CPU back in service soon.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Disconect pc from wall.

Unscrew and take off left side of pc. Lay pc on it's right side.

Disconnect cpu fan power wire from cpu-header on mainboard.

Remove cpu fan from cooling block.

Measure fan width and height. (13 x 13 cm for example.)

buy correct size fan, and make sure you get one that's meant for cpu's. (more expensive, but is required. (Do not get a cheapo system fan. Instead.)).

Also, before buying, check the connector on mainboard. Is it four pin or three? Get a fan that works with it.

Noctua is a brand that makes great cpu fans. (it makes system fans as well, so make sure to check.). Very powerful cooling.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

well thanks for the input guys. but I had to get a whole new computer. as the one that blew the fan is 6+ years old and they don't have the parts to replace that. and that was from DELL!!! so now I'm stuck with no flying until January 3rd. they sold me an AILENWARE aurora. that's better then what I had before. but I lost all my flying records and farming simulator stuff from the old computer as thy told me not to run it. the hard drive and GPU and PSU is still good. but i'm not going to just toss the old computer. so I just have to play the waiting game. plus I will have to figure out if FSX and my A2A stuff will work on windows10?

You most likely can access the data on the hard drive still. Just plug it into a SATA to USB adapter or install the HDD into your new computer and copy/paste your data that way.

This is a good SATA to USB adapter. https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-SATA-IDE-Adapter-CB-ISA225-U3/dp/B01E7EPKUO/ref=sr_1_2/144-6019536-6805933?ie=UTF8&qid=1544970921&sr=8-2&keywords=vantec

I have one of those. Only it's older and USB 2.0. I love this '$19.99 + free shipping' gadget. You don't have to open up your PC to hook a HDrive up. It has a 110 V adopter for power and the USB to HDrive cable. Neat as hell. If I had a newer PC I would buy the USB 3.0 model. You can copy files from a HDrive to your C or D drive with ease this way.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: Oh, the USB 3.0 will work with USB 2.0 as it's backward compatible so no worries if you get the USB 3.0 model.

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

yes but if it's on the hard drive it's not going any where. besides the only thing that's on there is my A2A log books and saved flights and the profile for another simulator. besides that when you reinstall FSX you lose all the achievements you get any way. :( uness I can transfer the whole thing over. but does FSX work on windows10?

You can save you logbook and rewards very easily. Here's how:

1) Remove the old HDD and attach it to your new PC for access. Or, attach old HDD to a SATA to USB reader like I pointed out.

2) On your new PC download and install Everything.exe from VoidTools. https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/

Now in Everything search for the following files. Note that they will be located on your old drive. So the drive letter may be D: or E:

GrantedRewards.BIN

Logbook.BIN

Note their original location and place those in your current location on your new PC according to where they were before.

You can even copy over the Standard.XML file which contains all of your control settings.

Yes, Windows 10 works with FSX, but there are caveats and what have you. Create a new thread on installing FSX in Windows 10 or do a search here. I'm not sure on the specifics for 10 as I don't use that crap. LOL But one things for sure, you always, ALWAYS install FSX to the root of C drive. Not the programs folder. So the path would be C:\FSX. Not C:\Program Files x86

You can save you logbook and rewards very easily. Here's how:

1) Remove the old HDD and attach it to your new PC for access. Or, attach old HDD to a SATA to USB reader like I pointed out.

2) On your new PC download and install Everything.exe from VoidTools. https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/

Now in Everything search for the following files. Note that they will be located on your old drive. So the drive letter may be D: or E:

GrantedRewards.BIN

Logbook.BIN

Note their original location and place those in your current location on your new PC according to where they were before.

You can even copy over the Standard.XML file which contains all of your control settings.

Yes, Windows 10 works with FSX, but there are caveats and what have you. Create a new thread on installing FSX in Windows 10 or do a search here. I'm not sure on the specifics for 10 as I don't use that crap. LOL But one things for sure, you always, ALWAYS install FSX to the root of C drive. Not the programs folder. So the path would be C:\FSX. Not C:\Program Files x86

ok ok thanks I will try this. but when I tried installing FSX into C:\FSX that didn't work I had to put it in to the X86 for it to work. that's how it was on my old computer.

i was just wondering seeing how the old computer is no longer going to be used if I could just run it long enough to get my log books and stuff for the flight sim and the profile for my other game and shut the thing back down? or would it burn up first? or could you run it like 5 minutes at a time. get one thing then wait and get something else?

i was just wondering seeing how the old computer is no longer going to be used if I could just run it long enough to get my log books and stuff for the flight sim and the profile for my other game and shut the thing back down? or would it burn up first? or could you run it like 5 minutes at a time. get one thing then wait and get something else?

As others have suggested, you could pull the hard drive put of the old computer and connect it directly to the new one. This way you don't need to deal with running the computer for only a few minutes at a time.

ok ok thanks I will try this. but when I tried installing FSX into C:\FSX that didn't work I had to put it in to the X86 for it to work. that's how it was on my old computer.

That should not be the case at all. I and several others have installed to C: drive without issue. It is vital you install to the root of C: drive. If you don't, add-ons and what have you will have problems. The programs folder is emulated and protected by Windows, especially so in Win 10. All you need to do is direct the FSX installer to C:\FSX. That's it. After that, install SP1 and SP2 for FSX. Unless you use acceleration.

Like I said, create a new thread on how to install FSX into Win 10. I can't be any more clear than that. People who run FSX in Win 10 will tell you what you need to do.

if I ever get it. I had to redo the order cause they was going to ship it to me with out the optical drive. it might be coming on January 3rd :( the old computer still has lots of good parts if any one wants them?

Pull the optical drive from your old computer and install it to your new computer. It's not that hard, but you will need a spare long enough SATA cable and hopefully you have an extra SATA power adapter from the PSU with that Dell to use for the optical drive.

If you're not comfortable doing this you have one of two options:

1) Find a reputable PC shop that can install the optical drive.

2) Get an USB external optical drive.

You'll need it to install FSX, unless you go Steam.

Edit-

My bad. Reread your post and you indicated you had to redo the order to include the optical drive. DOH!

Pull the optical drive from your old computer and install it to your new computer. It's not that hard, but you will need a spare long enough SATA cable and hopefully you have an extra SATA power adapter from the PSU with that Dell to use for the optical drive.

If you're not comfortable doing this you have one of two options:

1) Find a reputable PC shop that can install the optical drive.

2) Get an USB external optical drive.

You'll need it to install FSX, unless you go Steam.

Edit-

My bad. Reread your post and you indicated you had to redo the order to include the optical drive. DOH!

that's what I was going to do. I know how to install cd rom drives. but they told me that getting a computer with out the optical drive that the compartment for that would be sealed off from the outside

well this is the strangest thing I have ever seen. my CPU fan was not running. but I blow some dust off of it and now it's working. I got all my files saved from the computer but I don't know if I should hook every thing back up and try flying or just wait for the new computer to come. I hate to fry the old computer when all it might need is a fan. cause I heard the thing pop that's how this thread came to be

It should perform well given the CPU. FSX doesn't use the GPU at all much. You don't need to worry about that. FSX and FS2004 are single threaded, so have a look at this list and see how your new CPU stacks up in the single thread department. You might be pleasantly surprised.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

It should perform well given the CPU. FSX doesn't use the GPU at all much. You don't need to worry about that. FSX and FS2004 are single threaded, so have a look at this list and see how your new CPU stacks up in the single thread department. You might be pleasantly surprised.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

well going through that list in the link you provided I have not found the CPU in the old computer yet. but here's what the new one will have 9th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 9700K (8-Core/8-Thread, 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.6GHz on all cores). the old computer has the intel I5-3450 3.10 GHz in it. so I'm thinking the new computer will run FSX maxed on all settings with no problems at all.

Archived