unable to play FSX Steam

El Greco

Hi, first ever post on any forum since playing FSX.

I need help in the fact that you have to treat me as a total technophobe.

I have been playing FSX on and off for several years and as time has gone on it's taken longer and longer to log in.

Recently I have a job that allows me 4 days off after every 8 days work and as such I have really started to get involved with FSX more than ever.

The game however has got worse as time has gone on with very slow responses if I change any location or aircraft.

Last week I could only fly one session and it crashed every time I tried to fly another one.

Looking at other people's advise on forums, I uninstalled and re-installed.

On opening the first time, I had lost all my default aircraft and if I ignored it and continued on the scenary had also gone with a distorted cockpit and just a blue screen.

After many uninstalls and reinstalls following Steams recommendation and Dovetail games support (which now seems unavailable)

the install itself aborts.

I can't get in,Steam is not interested, passing me onto Dovetail games, Dovetail support is unassessable.

I wouldn't know whether a file is in the right order or not, although the Steam account has each time verified that all my files are complete, yet FSX fails to open.

I get the same message each time, which I attach.

Can anyone advise in any way how I can possibly get back up and running.

Thanks in Advance

FSX.JPG

Hi, first ever post on any forum since playing FSX.

Does this thing [message board] even work? You still here? Steam has its sort of internal file checker that most people use to try and fix problems.

It's a last resort before trying some sort of reinstallation that you don't wanna do of course. You've already been on the Steam message board instead of on here, right? Anyways, here it is: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=282 It doesn't help me, or many others, with the screen/PC freeze situation but this deal appears to be different. I would like to know if it works for you myself (?)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree, I thought my message might help.

I am not a techie, but I downloaded all my payware and freeware onto an external HD first, did the usual, cleaned up system, defraged then followed the exact procedure above, which both Steam and Dovetail recommend and nothing works. If anything I was better off before I did this at least I could get in the one flight before it crashed, now I can't even log in.

I have searched all the usual forums, fs.freeware, simviation, Steam etc and googled for the last two weeks and cannot find any help or advice anywhere.

And as I said I am unable for some reason to be able to log back into the Dovetail.Kayak support site.

I've spent several hours a day trying to solve this and I have lost count on how many times I have re-installed it. I have used the Revo uniistaller to find any hidden files, yet every time when I try again this same message returns.

Driving me nuts now. Posting this was hopefully a way to find out if anyone else has the same problem and how they resolved it.

El Greco, log into your Steam account and then:

-hover your mouse over Library

-click on "Games"

- Right-click"Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition"

-select "Properties"

-Select the "Local Files" tab

-click on "Verify Integrity of Games Cache"

Steam will check your installation and repair it for you while you wait. Once it's finished, you can click on Play Now on the web page and FSX-SE should launch normally.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thankyou Tim Wright,

But if you had read my post you will see that I have already done this, ie: followed the procedure that both Steam & Dovetail recommended probably several 10's of times and it does not work. Despite Steam verifying that my files are 100 complete.

I have evem uninstalled the steam account and re downloaded it, but to no avail.

A good call, MrUnsavory. I suspect it's Windows 10 because once it decides your program is "malware" that's it - Game Over. You might as well wipe your hard drive and start again from scratch.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I agree, I thought my message might help.

I am not a techie, but I downloaded all my payware and freeware onto an external HD first, did the usual, cleaned up system, defraged then followed the exact procedure above, which both Steam and Dovetail recommend and nothing works. If anything I was better off before I did this at least I could get in the one flight before it crashed, now I can't even log in.

Thanks for replying to this and noting how Steam's "file integrity" routine failed, once again, to resolve major issues like this and I admit, this one is

major. The only resolution to anything with FSX that I have is another hard drive with a non Steam box copy of FSX on it that I ran offline and is what I used for VATSIM. I can't seem to fix the screen freeze issue I have, and others still have the same problem with Steam. What I would really like to know is if you could get on Steam and download DCS, which is their free game starter version. I guess you get a couple of planes or something like that. The reason is if you can run anything on Steam at all? The whole issue of trying to do some balancing act by spreading out the workload to different cores of a dual core or quad core processor isn't going to do anything in your case. Anyways, like I said, try to run DCS on there to try and see if this major problem is with FSX only.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Brilliant MrUnsavory,

I followed the link, using the advise found a scenery file in a different user file, renamed, and relaunched and after verifyng new files I am up and running.

Now the slow painful job of reinstalling all the add ons.

Thanks, I am up and running although I will install one add on at a time and test just to make sure each and every one is compatible.

Top Man, I was close to throwing the PC out the window :-)

Many Thanks

Archived