Looking for Cessna 172 with constant speed propeller control (TPM)

ramalias1

Is there a C172 sim aircraft with TPM controls for constant speed prop?

I have the Carenado CT182T Skylane (Turbo) G1000, which has prop lever. But I would like to find a C172 version with the Propeller control with gauges and/or G1000.

There isn't one: In real life it's a STC for the 172, NOT a standard fixture.

And certainly not with a G1000.

Mainly because it's an expensive waste of money - people just upgrade to a 182.

If you already have a C-172 it's easy enough to change the propeller section of the aircraft.cfg file to a constant speed instead of a fixed pitch. Of course that doesn't put the knob in the cockpit, but you might be able to use some gauge you already have to modify its panel.cfg.

Come to think of it, you can look for a C-172 SP, which has a bigger engine and a constant speed, or perhaps there's a 180 HP conversion out there somewhere, which usually has a constant speed prop.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Is this the type of modification you are looking for? For 2d cockpit only. Not sure if it can be incorporated into a G-1000. Notice that I adjusted the prop knob and the RPM gauge responded as expected.

Default C-172.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

There isn't one: In real life it's a STC for the 172, NOT a standard fixture.

And certainly not with a G1000.

Mainly because it's an expensive waste of money - people just upgrade to a 182.

If you already have a C-172 it's easy enough to change the propeller section of the aircraft.cfg file to a constant speed instead of a fixed pitch. Of course that doesn't put the knob in the cockpit, but you might be able to use some gauge you already have to modify its panel.cfg.

Now that both of you mention it, I do not recall seeing a real C172 with a constant speed propeller (CSP). They are not common. I investigated a little further and found one pilot that was asking about a C172-180hp conversion with CSP and other pilots suggested the same; to sell the C172 and get a C182.

Is this the type of modification you are looking for? For 2d cockpit only. Not sure if it can be incorporated into a G-1000. Notice that I adjusted the prop knob and the RPM gauge responded as expected.

Changing the aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg files like Inuss says is not a bad idea. That will show the TPM on the cockpit and I guess make the aircraft behave like an aircraft with CSP.

But of most importance to me is to be able to ‘see’ the Manifold Pressure (MP) gauge or readout in the G1000 since you control MP with the throttle and RPM with the Prop in an aircraft with CSP.

Since I use an external panel with the Simionic G1000 app and bezel, I am going to play with the .cfg files and set the app to the C182 setting which shows me the MP. If I do not like it I will ‘sell my virtual’ C172 :) and upgrade to a non-Turbo C182.

Thank you all for the comments and tips.

Now that both of you mention it, I do not recall seeing a real C172 with a constant speed propeller (CSP). They are not common. I investigated a little further and found one pilot that was asking about a C172-180hp conversion with CSP and other pilots suggested the same; to sell the C172 and get a C182.

Changing the aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg files like Inuss says is not a bad idea. That will show the TPM on the cockpit and I guess make the aircraft behave like an aircraft with CSP.

But of most importance to me is to be able to ‘see’ the Manifold Pressure (MP) gauge or readout in the G1000 since you control MP with the throttle and RPM with the Prop in an aircraft with CSP.

Since I use an external panel with the Simionic G1000 app and bezel, I am going to play with the .cfg files and set the app to the C182 setting which shows me the MP. If I do not like it I will ‘sell my virtual’ C172 :) and upgrade to a non-Turbo C182.

Thank you all for the comments and tips.

At Sea Level you will control Manifold Pressure with the throttle but you are aware that MP will decrease with density altitude while RPM will not, providing the aircraft can maintain the RPM/Manifold ratio?

The reason that C/S props are not found in C172's is that such props are not needed for

Carenado are sub-par on a number of fronts.

Hi Folks,

I think that's known as a Cutlass ?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-i8iOPIfwjd4/UtQ0_ceEaMI/AAAAAAAAl80/2i8TxkKJz_I/s1600/1526803_635571733167570_831519911_n.jpg

Regards,

Scott

No, that had a fixed prop - but there was an STC for CS.

You are thinking about the FR172 Reims Rocket, French license-built version with STC mods built-in.

Hi.

There are more than one C172 with CSP, the 172RG, the XP...

You should be able to use the 182 you have to practice, the main things to understand are the Controls / sequence, not necessarily the performance, which is not very accurate in the sims anyway.

Now that both of you mention it, I do not recall seeing a real C172 with a constant speed propeller (CSP).

The R172K Hawk XP, produced from 1977 to 1981, had a 210 HP engine with a constant speed. The T-41B and C (military versions of the 172) had 210 HP engines with constant speed, also, though the T-41A model had the same Continental 145 HP engine of the earlier C-172 (pre-1968). The 172RG Cutlass (pictured by Scott above) had retractable gear in addition to the constant speed prop and 180 HP. There also was a C-172Q that had 180 HP and was named Cutlass instead of Skyhawk, but with fixed gear. There was also a C-172S, marketed as SP, with 180 HP.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

OMG! LOL! I saw tje Cutlass RGII pic and thought to myself...'wait a minute, I HAVE that aircraft!' I purchased it last year because it was on sale and had retractable gear. I went as far as setting all the controls and panels and did not used it afterwards.

Even thought it is a gauge aircraft it will work for my current G1000 panel setup. All I have to do is adjust the view to hide the gauges or use 2-D cockpit, which I sometimes do.

RGII.jpg

20181213_161142_HDR_resized.jpg

Correction!

I do not have the Cutlass RG II. What I have is the Skylane RG II, which is a C182 and not a C172. Either way it will work for me as flytv1 mentioned above. I want to familiarize myself with the CSP procedures.

Either way it will work for me as flytv1 mentioned above. What I want is to practice CSP procedures.

Now, here is a question I have based on inuss first response. If I would like this aircraft to behave like a C172, can I make a change the aircraft.cfg file?

Now, here is a question I have based on inuss first response. If I would like this aircraft to behave like a C172, can I make a change the aircraft.cfg file?

You can, but it's considerably more complex, since you'd need to adjust weight, power, yaw, pitch and roll moments, and other things. If your main purpose is to practice with the constant speed, then there's no need to go to that trouble, since the procedures are essentially the same whether using the Baron, Bonanza, Mooney, Cessna 172S or others.

You could also just (at sea level) add throttle on takeoff just to, perhaps, 24" MP instead of full throttle and do similarly for climb, and just don't retract the wheels. If you're at, say, Denver, then you could use 21" MP instead of full throttle.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Hi.

I am not sure what your final goal is but if you will use / train in a CSP 172 you should only consider the Cessna make. The reason for that is the Cowl flaps, many of the other makes do not have them.

If you want something closer to 172 performance there was a Cardinal RG around here, but be aware the Cowl flaps markings are upside down, but you can easily modify that using some pic editor.

I am not sure what your final goal is but if you will use / train in a CSP 172 you should only consider the Cessna make.

I'm not sure about the Mooney, but the others I named have cowl flaps. In any case, cowl flaps are not necessary to learn to use a constant speed prop, though the two often are there since they both tend to be provided on aircraft with the bigger engines (though the C-310 doesn't have cowl flaps), and it's not necessary to have cowl flaps to learn to use the prop. In any case, my intent was to give him a choice of aircraft he might already have.

But as I mentioned above, his 182RG will do the job nicely.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

My main goal is to get familiar with a C182 with CSP. This Saturday I will be taking the training for the High-Performance endorsement. The practical flight portion will be on a 2016 C182T with a 230HP IO-540-AB1A5 engine.

Since I am sure I will not be flying the C182 that often for various reasons, I started looking for a C172 version thinking I could continue to fly those. But as mentioned here, those are not common and most likely not available at flight schools for rental.

I'll use the C182 Skylane RG II with gauges and the CT182T with G1000 that I currently have on FSX/P3D for CSP practice.

Hi Larry and everyone.

I agree you are correct in your explanations.

The reason I asked the OP what he intends to use it for / his goal was to make sure that he understands the difference and if the 172 / Cessna is the route, he needs to get the sequence for that Make / Model.

I find the most of the pilots when they transition to an acft that has Cowl flaps have a very difficult time understanding how and when to use it. In some cases that could make the difference between getting home or blowing an engine.

I find the most of the pilots when they transition to an acft that has Cowl flaps have a very difficult time understanding how and when to use it. In some cases that could make the difference between getting home or blowing an engine.

Your point is well taken, and I agree that misuse of cowl flaps (as well as other engine mismanagement) can cause serious problems, but my answers were predicated strictly on his stated desire, rather than for the whole aircraft.

When I was transitioning people to higher performance aircraft I didn't find them having too much trouble understanding and using cowl flaps if we first spent some ground time with explanation, then Q & A, then going over it again in the cockpit before starting the engine, so your experience is somewhat different from mine. Of course these things always vary with the individual, but I had more trouble with them forgetting (gotta develop the habit, watch that CHT) than with lack of understanding.

Now that we know the goal of high performance endorsement, we know that his 182RG will do the job nicely, for as well as the sim can help, and we know that cowl flaps are as important in that C182 as the other parts of it. Of course he'll have to keep in mind that the physical part of that training won't be the same in the sim since the vernier prop control isn't available in the sim, nor is the actual cowl flap handle (bend over, reach down, slide handle), etc. so the sim is primarily (for this purpose) a sort-of-procedures trainer. I'd also caution him that the C-182 will be heavier on the controls, especially pitch, and especially pitch with full flaps -- use that trim!

Of course the CFI is the ultimate definer of what he needs outside the sim, and should be consulted about use of the sim, with the caution that not all CFIs know much about FS.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Your point is well taken, and I agree that misuse of cowl flaps (as well as other engine mismanagement) can cause serious problems, but my answers were predicated strictly on his stated desire, rather than for the whole aircraft.

When I was transitioning people to higher performance aircraft I didn't find them having too much trouble understanding and using cowl flaps if we first spent some ground time with explanation, then Q & A, then going over it again in the cockpit before starting the engine, so your experience is somewhat different from mine. Of course these things always vary with the individual, but I had more trouble with them forgetting (gotta develop the habit, watch that CHT) than with lack of understanding.

Now that we know the goal of high performance endorsement, we know that his 182RG will do the job nicely, for as well as the sim can help, and we know that cowl flaps are as important in that C182 as the other parts of it. Of course he'll have to keep in mind that the physical part of that training won't be the same in the sim since the vernier prop control isn't available in the sim, nor is the actual cowl flap handle (bend over, reach down, slide handle), etc. so the sim is primarily (for this purpose) a sort-of-procedures trainer. I'd also caution him that the C-182 will be heavier on the controls, especially pitch, and especially pitch with full flaps -- use that trim!

Of course the CFI is the ultimate definer of what he needs outside the sim, and should be consulted about use of the sim, with the caution that not all CFIs know much about FS.

I took the H-P endorsement ground training this morning. We spend a good amount of time talking about monitoring EGT and how to properly use of the cowling and when. The actual flight practice will follow at a later day, which will give me more time to practice and go through the C182 checklist.

For sim practice I am going to use the Saitek quadrant Mixture Lever to practice reaching and operating the cowling. I already use the T-Lever for parking brake.

Yea, I have a few hours already on the C182. I noticed the heavy feel and need for trim. I experience that too when I moved from the C152 to the C172.

.20181215_173357.jpg

Hi Ram.

While EGT is important, as Larry mentioned keep an eye on the CHT.

The easiest way I found that transition pilots remember is to start your scan at the bottom, with the Cowl flaps, and work your way up to the knobs gauges... After you get stabilized you can just include you knobs gauges etc. Every time you change altitude / pitch / power by a sizeable amount include the bottom scan also otherwise you are likely to forget it.

I am not sure where you live, in some areas the temps are more friendly, but if you take off on a real hot day it takes a very short time to overheat and damage the engine if you cowls are not properly used. The other way, when it's cold, you can cause engine shock, especially if you have a turbo.

Archived