Taking the bridge

Stans2Low

The Bay Bridge fly-through: would be better at night with traffic turned on.

Bay Bridge fly through.jpg

Vincent Thomas Bridge fly-through: Looks cooler when you're inside the bridge but I never had time to reach over to the keyboard and take a picture. I found it necessary to be constantly correcting course to avoid hitting the cars or the superstructure. Hard to see the trike since I had the lights off.

Vincent Thomas Bridge fly through.jpg

I'm surprised that's a hardened surface.

I just flew under a bridge in NY with my F-22 at around mach 1.30. LOL

Under a bridge at mach 1.3 is challenging. I don't know how to determine hardened surface without trying to land on it, but it would be very useful to know. I've lost a lot of planes due to landing in bad places. It would be great to know just by looking at it where a particular plane can be landed. I have landed on the Golden Gate bridge. I saw a payware Pitts S-2S and another aerobatic biplane with shorter wingspans (and a lot more speed) than the trike that might be fun for stuff like that.

I'm surprised that's a hardened surface.

I just flew under a bridge in NY with my F-22 at around mach 1.30. LOL

Aaron - I am missing something here with your post, why wouldn't it be a hardened surface, I realize they probaby have expansion joints, but the surface would still have to be hardened for vehicular travel, and in this case, suitable to land the trike! Stan, I have to hand it to you, that is being very creative. Be careful in the winter when those bridges start to get ice on them!

Rick :cool:

Well, I just know a lot of buildings and what have you are not hardened, and so I thought bridges were not hardened as well. But that's a good point on the freeway traffic though. I've never seen cars on bridges before. And I've been all over where there are bridges. Maybe it's my traffic slider. I have it at 40 I think. I do see traffic, but it's not a lot.

Under a bridge at mach 1.3 is challenging.

It's not too bad when you have a yoke, and this particular jet is pretty damn agile. I upgraded its aircraft.cfg and air files with ones supposedly to make the F-22 fly like the real thing. Too bad it doesn't have thrust vectoring. Now that would be cool.

so I thought bridges were not hardened as well.

Some are, some aren't. I don't know how to tell except by trying to land on it. IIRC one that isn't is the Glen Canyon Dam Bridge across the Colorado River. I thought it would be a handy place to save an aircraft but the wheels just sank into the "concrete".

Nice "waker-upper" video.

Nice "waker-upper" video.

Yeah it was. I was tired when I made it actually and after focusing on my flying I was wide awake and my brain was active like. Much how I get while playing BF2 with the AIX mod. I'm like extremely focused and have to think like a chess player.

Archived