Can't activate FSX gold if not deleted from previous machine, true?

Stans2Low

The old laptop had hardware failure in 2015, saved docs but not programs after it died so FSX was never deleted from it. Everything I've read at microsoft support and elsewhere say I can't run the discs in a new computer unless FSX was deleted from previous one. Is that correct? I've also read many reviews saying it won't run on Win 10 but that's a different issue that seems to be incorrect or have workarounds. I don't want to come here looking for install help or waste time trying it if it's an obvious no-go.

Planning to get P3dv4 and/or Xplane anyway but might get trike lessons and want to continue perfecting the skills, at least to the degree possible with an only sort of realistic performing aircraft. The Air Creation trike in FSX has outdated performance but better than nothing. Spent hours looking, no trike for p3dv4 and the cheap payware one for x-plane doesn't look good and has stated performance issues.

Other option is FSX-SE. price is right, but I read on Steam forum it's about a 26Gb total download (250GB installed?)which won't work for me. Have a Tb drive but it has a few big programs already, have other plans for the rest.

You shouldn't have a problem with FSX installation. Where you may have a problem is installing it to two computers at the same time. I think the product key is good for 10 installations. Can't remember. M$ servers don't record whether you've deleted or uninstalled FSX or at least don't care.

People do run FSX in 10, you'd have to ask how to do it.

Just make sure when you do install FSX you install to the root of C drive and not the programs folder. So the path is C:\\FSX Might want to do the same with Steam if you do go that route. C:\\Steam\FSX.

Reason being is that the programs folder (both) are protected and add-ons can play havoc.

... I read on Steam forum it's about a 26Gb total download (250GB installed?)

Not sure where you read this, my Steam folder (which includes the Steam client, FSX-SE, and a few addons) is only 30.5 GB.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

As the Bean has pointed out, the install footprint of FSX and FSX-SE is relatively small. For a basic install of FSX-SE (and for its boxed equivalent of the deluxe version w/acceleration pack) with no addons is about 17.5 to 18Gb. The Steam Client itself only occupies about 90-100Mb.

WRT to running it on Win 10 - many users run it with no problems. I have been running two different installs of FSX on Win 10 rigs for the last two years or so with no issues. And for the majority of problems that have been encountered there is plenty of info regarding the required fixes, most of which are very easy.....

Regards

Brian

Thanks, I'll give the discs a try. Have measured wifi so might not get the SE version.

Wow so I got some bad info off the internet! Did that ever happen before?

Also, if it works thought I might get an external USB 3 SSD and copy the disc that FSX needs to have running on to that. Would that work? If so how would FSX know to look on the SSD instead of the D drive?

Also, if it works thought I might get an external USB 3 SSD and copy the disc that FSX needs to have running on to that. Would that work? If so how would FSX know to look on the SSD instead of the D drive?

FSX doesn't need the disc in the drive to run.

FSX doesn't need the disc in the drive to run.

Yes, unlike FS 2004 which needed a special No-CD patch, FSX does not require that you leave the installation DVD in the drive after the installation.

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My set has 3 discs, 2 for fsx and 1 for acceleration. Maybe it runs without it but it told me to insert one of the fsx discs every time I started the game without the disc in the slot. No idea why. Since I played a lot I usually left it in the D drive. We'll see what happens, anyway.

My set has 3 discs, 2 for fsx and 1 for acceleration. Maybe it runs without it but it told me to insert one of the fsx discs every time I started the game without the disc in the slot. No idea why. Since I played a lot I usually left it in the D drive. We'll see what happens, anyway.

Well I forgot to mention that I own the FSX Gold Edition, includes FSX Deluxe and Acceleration Expansion Pack, it has 3 DVDs in it, I know for sure it never asked me for anything in the drive ever. I do not know about the other versions.

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you install accel you don't need SP1 or 2....

Simply install and activate FSX, then reboot - this allows the OS to write essential info into the registry. Run FSX and fly the default flight for about a minute or so and then close FSX - this will create and save a number of essential new files, like your scenery.cfg and logbook files for example. Then install and activate Accel, then reboot before running FSX again, using the default flight for a short period before closing FSX - this will allow FSX to update any required files relating to the Accel install - for example as it adds new scenery it will update the scenery.cfg file.

Once you have done this FSX should be working fine and you can then look at making changes to settings and adding addons.....

Regards

Brian

Archived