Compatible Planes & Scenery For P3d V4.4?

LTCSZ

I am currently in the process of downloading P3D V4.4 (Early Christmas Present!)...I know nothing about the program, other than it is supposed to beat FSX hands down...I have been trying to learn what I need to know on some of the Forums, and I have been seeing a lot of warnings about using non 4.4 approved/certified aircraft and scenery...Even some warnings not to use anything below 4.4 at all...Could someone clarify this to me and perhaps recommend a few freeware planes/scenery that are 4.4 ready? Sure would appreciate it! Thanks...

I am currently in the process of downloading P3D V4.4 (Early Christmas Present!)...I know nothing about the program, other than it is supposed to beat FSX hands down...I have been trying to learn what I need to know on some of the Forums, and I have been seeing a lot of warnings about using non 4.4 approved/certified aircraft and scenery...Even some warnings not to use anything below 4.4 at all...Could someone clarify this to me and perhaps recommend a few freeware planes/scenery that are 4.4 ready? Sure would appreciate it! Thanks...

Read the forums: P3Dv4.4 compatible `whatever` are being added all the time. What you need to know is that scenery and aircraft are added differently in P3Dv4.4 using .xml files which are NOT located in the scenery and SimObjects folders, respectively. ANT addon that inserts into either of those default folders are NOT compatible, although the can still work.

It is entirely UNnecessary for files to end up in those folders, NOR to replace default files. Anything that does is suspect at worst, or merely `Compliant` at best...

As there are other changes, you need to read up on the peculiarities - Start with the official L-M forum. Also read the SDK literature.

P3Dv4.4 is NOT FSX...

So, if addon aircraft do not go into the usual places, where should they be installed? Thanks again for the assistance...

Again, read for yourself. Addons go into folders on your C drive. It should be automatic for `proper` P3Dv4.4 addons.

Just be wary of any that don't - Carenado, PMDG, MilViz, Quality Wings etc. They don't necessarily cause problems, but they can be removed indirectly by the relatively simple methods of part-sim reinstallation - Client, Content and Scenery .msi. Their installers break compatibility with P3Dv4.4, and there needs to be Good Reason for them not complying or overwriting core files.

So far it seems `laziness` is the main one - and the alleged `compatible` versions are some way short of being compatible, and some 4.3 files are NOT compatible with 4.4... although again, it's early days for P3Dv4.4 as it's only been out for a week or two...

Archived