Bendix-king radio stack ap selections

Downwind66

Everything works, however, on some aircraft, I am able to activate the A/P, make my altitude section, just as I wanted. However, on other aircraft as soon as I activate the A/P, my HDG button activates along with it. Very annoying , especially when trying to make a straight out departure, and wanting to only active the altitude.

What triggers the HDG button, when only activating the AP?

Any clues or solutions will be greatly appreciated!

Rick :cool:

So....these are different aircraft using the same default Bendix-king A/P? Have you compared the

[autopilot] sections of the aircraft.cfg to see if they are the same between the one(s) that work and the one(s) that pop the heading on?

Curious...You don't set the runway heading into the A/P before takeoff?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

So....these are different aircraft using the same default Bendix-king A/P? Have you compared the

[autopilot] sections of the aircraft.cfg to see if they are the same between the one(s) that work and the one(s) that pop the heading on?

Curious...You don't set the runway heading into the A/P before takeoff?

Charlie - Aircraft.cfg or panel.cfg??

And, no, I do not set the runway heading into the A/P before takeoff. I don't know what purpose that would serve as long as my joystick is calibrated and the winds aren't such as to create any wandering.

But, I think I have a workable, at least for me, and what I am experiencing. On the runway, prior to take-off, engage the AP, then turnoff the HDG button. On climb out, when I am ready to engage the altitude and rate of climb, I engage ALT and we are on our way. No heading change until I call for one!

I thought there might be a method to having all the Bendix-King stacks work the same?

Aircraft.cfg

I always set the runway heading in the A/P before takeoff. Even if there is a mountain in front of me, ATC will order a turn before a crash happens. I also don't engage the A/P until after wheels up, just for safety's sake.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Aircraft.cfg

I always set the runway heading in the A/P before takeoff. Even if there is a mountain in front of me, ATC will order a turn before a crash happens. I also don't engage the A/P until after wheels up, just for safety's sake.

Charlie - I found where it was coming from. I went thru all my add-on aircraft, (non jetliners) and I found 4 to have this problem:

Default DC-3 (I had added an updated back panel and instrument upgrades)

C-47 - I copied the improved DC-3 panel over, more than likely had the bad entry from DC-3

Beech D18S Milton Shupe's download (8 liveries)

Beech C-45 Mark Rooks updated Shupe download

The "Culprit" or common denominator in all 4 was:

default_bank_mode=2 (last entry in the Autopilot section of each aircraft.cfg files)

The Beech D18S and C45 had 2 additional entries in the Autopilot section that did not belong there:

attitude_indicator=1

direction_indicator=1

Deleted those for sure.

I silenced the other entries //, just in case someone else might have this problem, I will remember what I did to correct!

Thanks, Charlie, you definitely pointed me in the right direction! Thanks!

Everything works, however, on some aircraft, I am able to activate the A/P, make my altitude section, just as I wanted. However, on other aircraft as soon as I activate the A/P, my HDG button activates along with it. Very annoying , especially when trying to make a straight out departure, and wanting to only active the altitude.

What triggers the HDG button, when only activating the AP?

Any clues or solutions will be greatly appreciated!

SOP for the Bendix King. A Lateral mode has to be activated. You can detect it being used properly in for example, A2A aircraft where activating the AP also activates the `ROL` mode and retains current heading, wings level.

You can solve the problem by being a proper pilot and simply aligning the HDG pointer with current heading before first engaging AP in systems which don't have a ROL mode...

Hi, Rick :)

If you're curious about that line you commented out, it can be used for other things.

From the SDK:

default_bank_mode

This determines the default bank mode when the autopilot logic is turned on.

0 = None

1 = Wing Level Hold

2 = Heading Hold (current heading).

If no value is set, Wing Level Hold will be the default.

So, commenting it out, like you did, actually sets it to Wing Level Hold.

Another setting line you might be interested in:

default_pitch_mode

This determines the default pitch mode when the autopilot logic is turned on.

0 = None

1 = Pitch Hold (current pitch angle)

2 = Altitude Hold (current altitude)

If no value is set, Pitch Hold will be the default.

And finally, then I shut up and go back to my coffee:

yaw_damper_gain

The proportional gain on the yaw dampers yaw rate error.

You want that to be 1.0 if you want to have the yaw damper feature of any AP to function at all.

Just make sure you turn the YD off before making any manual maneuvers, or your rudder control won't be very effective. It's like the AT, in that turning the AP main functions, or even power switch, off won't turn it off.

Just thought you might like to know...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Pat - I just got rid of the entire entry like the rest of my aircraft and it works okay for all the aircraft that were giving me problems!

Thanks - Rick :cool:

Okay, Rick, no problem. It's YOUR plane, after all :)

Of course, you realize that in doing so, you tell the AP that the Wings Level Hold is now the mode to enter when you activate it.

If you want NO default bank mode to activate when you first turn the AP on, you need that line set to 0 (zero), but it does need to be there.

Whatever works for you, though :)

I just thought you might like to see what options you had. Options are always nice! :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived