P3D - CPU or GPU intensive?

Kirk

I'm wondering if you guys know if P3Dv4 is CPU intensive like FSX is? Or does it depend more on the GPU, or maybe a combination of both?

The reason I ask is that I'm looking at buying a new computer to pretty much be dedicated to my simming addiction and I'm wondering where I need the strength.

Prepar3d v4: HP Omen Desktop. Intel Core i7-8700K (6 Core, 3.7GHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11GB dedicated GDDR5X), 16GB RAM, 2TB Hard Drive, 1TB SSD, 512GB SSD, Windows 10.

Unlike FSX, P3D makes heavy use of the GPU, which is a lot of why they can do some fancy things with clouds, fog, shadows, etc. that FSX cannot do. But it still makes just as much use of the CPU, so you'll want power in both sections. Personally, if I were getting a new computer today I'd look at Digital Storm, Alienware or such, though you don't have to go to those more game oriented machines- it's just that they tend to have a bit better components and they match pieces better than the HPs and Dells, especially for powerful uses such as simming or video editing. There's better tech support from them, too.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Great info. Thank you, Larry.
Prepar3d v4: HP Omen Desktop. Intel Core i7-8700K (6 Core, 3.7GHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11GB dedicated GDDR5X), 16GB RAM, 2TB Hard Drive, 1TB SSD, 512GB SSD, Windows 10.

You're waaaay better off building a computer. Or at least pick the parts, match them at pcpartpicker.com and have a local competent PC shop build it for around a $ Benjamin $.

I built my own, and every time I use it I have the satisfaction of knowing I put this beast together. On the other hand, I know a thing or three about computers and what not. So if I have any trouble I can fix it myself. Where's an OEM Comp. build is nice in the way of tech support and what not. Though, for some I think so-called "tech support" may be a fallacy. You're probably better off with a tech forum like sevenforums.com or what ever. I even have my own forum, though very little in the way of users. :( I think social networking pretty much made forums a dying breed and it's sad, really. I find forums a lot more easier to use and the features they offer and what not. I've crafted my forum with a wealth of features and I can add features as desired. Plus, it's my very own, and I can do with it what ever the hell I want. I even allow profanity since I'm not in the business of being an asinine overzealous Admin/Mod, not PC and don't believe in censorship. I've been a member of many, many forums and each were a different breed among themselves. Many with asinine rules and what have you. I strive NOT to do that. Heck, if you break one of my rules by chance, I won't even give someone a warning on their account. I'll just tell them to don't do it again and make a note on their account. Do it again and you get a warning on your account. My rules are six warnings in a six month period and I kick you. Each warning expires in a 180 day period.

Anyway... LOL :D

Hi Folks,

Re: P3Dv4

You don’t really need as much power as you may think - I’m still running my old 2700K Sandy at 4.7Ghz with a GTX970 and it does surprisingly well... All the usual addons and advanced aircraft... That said - the biggest jets I fly are regionals and I don’t typically land in the LA basin...

Build your own and save big bucks - it’s not that hard - really - and get what your budget allows... Me - I decided to steer clear of the latest and greatest - I refuse to spend more than $500.00 on a lousy video card - so I’m currently building a 7700K/GTX1070 Ti as my replacement...

Best of luck...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bJQZKiw.png

Thanks guys.

I could definitely build my own, I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty. I recently did some pricing though and I'm not sure building my own would really save much money. Though I may do that just for the satisfaction. I'm just trying to decide where to put the muscle or to split it up evenly.

I play a few video games now and then also and don't know if I want a new computer that can handle those better or just dedicate the thing to flying.

I'm currently using an HP Omen laptop (i7 7700HQ / GTX 1050 Ti) which I've had for almost a year, and it's been freaking wonderful! Obviously I can't do anything on ultra, or even high, settings. But it's been stable.

I'm thinking I may just keep it for my games and build a dedicated box for P3D alone.

Maybe I'll take the money I was going to spend on a new computer and buy a Red Bird Or Yoko yoke. :D

Decisions decisions!

Archived