Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Like some, I've switched to P3Dv4

Default Like some, I've switched to P3Dv4

I don't know if it's my rig or my technical inability but it seems like I've spent more time troubleshooting FSX:SE than I have flying with it. I'm hoping I have a better experience with P3Dv4. A professional license was a huge chunk of change (my expected Christmas bonus is now gone) but I'm really falling in love with this new hobby and FSX:SE was becoming more of a discouragement for me than it was enjoyable. I'm not knocking it by any means. I know many people have used it for decades and love it and swear by it. And I think that's great. And who knows, maybe I'll have trouble with P3D too, maybe that's just the nature of the beast, but somehow I don't think I will. Having said that, there's a thread around here describing a "popping" noise problem I was having with a Carenado C172 in FSX:SE and unfortunately that problem also exists in P3Dv4. So, since I purchased FSX:SE I don't think it's a problem that I ported over the default C172 and am using it instead (which sucks because I like the Carenado C172 )

The View Group Management tool in P3Dv4 alone is worth the price of admission. It made setting up 3 monitors and aligning them a breeze. And the fact that I can use my Orbx scenery is an added bonus.

Anyway, I hope this move proves to be a positive one and I can continue learning how to fly... virtually anyway.
    Last edited by Kirk; 12-03-2018 at 05:15 AM.
    "Fight for the centerline," they say. I'm fighting! I'm fighting!

The C172 was an early Carenado aircraft. Not intended for P3D, and certainly not for P3Dv4.

I don't know how you could have missed our advice in this very forum, USE ONLY P3Dv4-intended aircraft in P3Dv4, and this particularly applies to P3Dv4.3 and esprcially the current P3Dv4.4.
    You should NOT use ANY aircraft for example, that install into the `Airplanes` folder as that is NOT where P3Dv4 aircraft should be installed or you are asking for exactly the trouble you fear.

By installing FSX-intended aircraft and scenery into the `wrong` sim, and badly-implemented portovers, you are just asking for trouble: Carenado can't be used in P3Dv4 without lag, installation problems, and incompatibility with other software. At the present moment they ALL install just like in FSX, so regardless of their claims that are NOT conforming to the SDK... Buyer Beware!

And FWIW ORBX are NOT yet fully compatible with P3Dv4.4. Yes, you can USE ORBX scenery, but it does not permit the use of the different Autogen files, nor is ANY of their scenery yet PBR-compliant.

Mark's being a little overcautious Kirk - although installing addons outside of the root p3d folder is RECOMMENDED - it is still not mandatory. They will work just fine, the major issue being the need to reinstall after udpates.

That said - unless it's something you MUST have go with addons that do not install in the root folder and use the addon.xml method. Sooner or later it WILL become mandatory so, if you can, follow Mark's advice.

To give yo an idea of what I mean. I just did a complete update to 4.4 - Client, Content and Scenery and it took all of 1/2 hour - that's with ORBX, GEP3D, UTX , UTL and various payware and freeware aircraft.

Most of all - do not apply any of the old FSX tweaks to P3d - either they have been incorporated into the sim or they are not needed.

Enjoy,

Vic
    P3D Rig
    I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGAGTX1080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the information and support. The last thing I want is to botch things up. I found this on Prepar3D's website: http://www.prepar3d.com/add-ons/ so I assume, as long as I don't go crazy, I can keep myself out of trouble. I really don't want any other aircraft right now but the C172, so I don't see me moving any others over. As far as the Orbx stuff I trusted the installer in FTX Central (almost everything had to be updated before it would install in P3D). So if that's messed up I'll clean everything out and do a reinstall without those until they're updated.

Anyway, I do appreciate the replies and will keep my guard up.

5. Default

Wow. What a great thread. This explains everything to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Thanks, guys. I appreciate the information and support. The last thing I want is to botch things up. I found this on Prepar3D's website: http://www.prepar3d.com/add-ons/ so I assume, as long as I don't go crazy, I can keep myself out of trouble. I really don't want any other aircraft right now but the C172, so I don't see me moving any others over. As far as the Orbx stuff I trusted the installer in FTX Central (almost everything had to be updated before it would install in P3D). So if that's messed up I'll clean everything out and do a reinstall without those until they're updated.

Anyway, I do appreciate the replies and will keep my guard up.
    Well, ORBX installers CAN and WILL install into P3D4.4, but I cannot say what that does to the new autogen, the new autogen options, any PBR recognition for ORBX airports, or precisely what their overly-complicated installation system does for compatibility with future addons - their system cannot recognise dll.xml-installed addons, yet continues to place FTX in the `old` scenery menu, for example.
    I may forego ORBX beyond FTX Global until they can provide a fuller picture.

Or else resign myself to a complete reinstall some time in the future, when they eventually overhaul their integration to bring it PROPERLY in line with P3Dv4.4. Certainly replacing default files is no longer acceptable (to L-M) as their underlying reinstallation system is all about ensuring default files are left untouched. It really depends on the bulk of my supported user base - all have v4.3 with ORBX of all types, (Global, Libraries, Regional and Landclass) so I had little option but to follow their lead, despite misgivings.
    It's really an outmoded system in 2018, modifying and overwriting default files, but I see no indication they have any intent to do anything about it... and they are supposedly close-tied partners of L-M!

Quote Originally Posted by mallcott View Post
    It's really an outmoded system in 2018, modifying and overwriting default files, but I see no indication they have any intent to do anything about it... and they are supposedly close-tied partners of L-M!
    Totally in agreement. I use GEP3D in lieu of FTX Global - doesn't replace core files and looks much better, IMHO. I use UTX rather than vector for the same reasons and less performance impact. I still use some of the orbx regions though and everything plays nice.

I would like to see Orbx stop overwriting core files but I'm not holding my breath.

Vic
    P3D Rig
    I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGAGTX1080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by vgbaron View Post
    ... I use UTX rather than vector for the same reasons and less performance impact. I still use some of the orbx regions though and everything plays nice.

I would like to see Orbx stop overwriting core files but I'm not holding my breath.

Vic
    Aren't GEP and UTX higher priced than the equivalent coverage with ORBX?

Quote Originally Posted by oneleg View Post
    Aren't GEP and UTX higher priced than the equivalent coverage with ORBX?
    Sort-of. They don't use the same coverage profile as ORBX, but have detail akin to FTX Regions for each coverage area.

The issue is that having made the choice for one over another, they (GEP/UTX and ORBX) are effectively mutually incompatible, thanks to the landclass migration carried out by ORBX. Some files from UTX CAN be combined, but not at reasonable cost.

It's one or the other.

So, when it's said that Orbx overwrites core files, we're talking about P3Dv4 files? I assume if an area is then uninstalled, those files are replaced with the originals. Right? I'm not keen on core P3Dv4 core files being overwritten.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast