Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Like some, I've switched to P3Dv4

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    So, when it's said that Orbx overwrites core files, we're talking about P3Dv4 files? I assume if an area is then uninstalled, those files are replaced with the originals. Right? I'm not keen on core P3Dv4 core files being overwritten.
    Well then the only advice is avoid ANY scenery package for areas or regions: For example, PTA (and all other shader file modifiers) ALL change the `core` files. Some installers allow one to change them back having saved a backup of the default, but ORBX makes irrevocable changes to those files, which can only be changed back by a fresh, clean install of P3D.
    FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, FTX Global openLC and the core FTX library files ALL make changes to default, as do such addons as FTX Global Trees and the FTX Central installer, with it's modifications to LCLookup.

But as Vic says, if all you want is a pretty simulator to fly in, as long as you saved the P3D installer, it's all recoverable to default in half an hour or less - it's the addons that take longest, although it has to be said that FTX Central is excellent in that regard, reinstalling it's modified files automatically - although they seem the same as they were for previous versions of P3D as they are in v4.4, despite the changes for this version.

It's always quickest to just reinstall the sim than remove the `bonded` and modded addon files and that should be your goal for any `return-to-unmodified` status, along with deletion of any files created by the sim (prepard .cfg, shaders files and the like) Again, the P3D forum has details including how to manually remove FTX files to prepare for a default reinstall...

That's some good information, mallcott. I appreciate it.

I'm at a crossroads right now with my Orbx installations. I think they do what they're intended to do very well. And someone looking to improve the scenery and appearance of their simulated world would do OK with their products. I'm just not sure I want to keep using them right now. I don't have a super strong computer and the compromises I have to make in the settings in order to keep a decent FPS might not be worth it. I mean what good is pretty scenery when you have to run at low to medium settings? I may have a much better computer at some point in the future, but right now I have what I have.

I'm super happy with the stability I've found in P3Dv4. Maybe I need to be happy with that for a while and not stir the pot any more with extra stuff. I'll figure it out.
    "Fight for the centerline," they say. I'm fighting! I'm fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    That's some good information, mallcott. I appreciate it.

I'm at a crossroads right now with my Orbx installations. I think they do what they're intended to do very well. And someone looking to improve the scenery and appearance of their simulated world would do OK with their products. I'm just not sure I want to keep using them right now. I don't have a super strong computer and the compromises I have to make in the settings in order to keep a decent FPS might not be worth it. I mean what good is pretty scenery when you have to run at low to medium settings? I may have a much better computer at some point in the future, but right now I have what I have.

I'm super happy with the stability I've found in P3Dv4. Maybe I need to be happy with that for a while and not stir the pot any more with extra stuff. I'll figure it out.
    Limit the installation to just FTX Global Base/Library and add any regional elements or local airports and you have the best option using ORBX until they upgrade...

Add FTX Vector and any landclass files at your leisure, knowing that you are now [email protected]@ring the clean installation and you will need a fresh clean installation in future. It is stupid to just add Base if you already possess landclass and Vector.

Simples.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2