P3D v4.4 released - but caution!

mallcott

P3d v4.4 is out;

As previously. only the Client update is required if you already have a version of P3dV4 installed.

Content and Scenery .msi are optional.

ANY version below P3Dv4 requires a complete installation but ONLY the Content.msi contains the `new` PBR representations.

You will also want the new Scenery .msi if you want to see the new scenery objects.

https://www.prepar3d.com/news/2018/11/114948/ has all the details.

But the caution comes from the current knowledge of several of the flight sim staples about whether their products are compatible:

https://fselite.net/news/prepar3d-v4-4-add-on-compatibility-update/

Note the number of `unknown` statements, suggesting they were not on the beta test, nor the insider team... curious that.

As I said elsewhere, you can install what you want, when you want, but there is NO point coming here and whining about things which don't work or asking when they will be fixed. If these developers are not on the `inside`, what possibility is there for us?

My own system is staying 4.3 for at least a month and my clients for double that. Once I have confidence in the aftermarket to deliver - and deliver without charge - only then will I be looking to upgrade.

Good advice. Any addons that use the addon.xml method of installing are fine. Most orbx products can be refreshed by running FTX Central but if you use FTX Global and reinstall scenery - you will need to reinstall FTXG. ASP4 weather has been updated as has been Envtex and Envshade. The Flight1 GTN750 is still not compatible.

So far, the reports from early isers has been very good.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Good advice. Any addons that use the addon.xml method of installing are fine. Most orbx products can be refreshed by running FTX Central but if you use FTX Global and reinstall scenery - you will need to reinstall FTXG. ASP4 weather has been updated as has been Envtex and Envshade. The Flight1 GTN750 is still not compatible.

So far, the reports from early isers has been very good.

Vic

As usual, it's what's not ready that is the issue. FSLabs is NOT working; ASP4 has a beta update out, Flight 1 GTN needs a patch, as does MilvizREX radar. No one knows about Carenado, although users are reporting the S360 works there is no official word from the Chileans.

I have d/l'd 4.4 but as I said there's a lot that's not known - ORBX for example say it works, but there's no word on how the new textures are incorporated or how the installation routine has been altered to allow the new `multi-tasking` of autogen. There's a lot of adjustment and optimisation needed before I'm letting that anywhere near MY 4.4: `Compliance` and `Compatibility` are two VERY different things...

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so updated my PC in anticipation of a round of updates on the club rig and some other folks over the course of the week.

Aware of the limitations, I carried out a full installation using the Client, Content and Scenery methods, shader refresh and .cfg file rebuild.

No problems with the update: Appreciation for the increased LOD gains!

Now for the issues with installed software...

Archived