crash plane into water or land?

il2crashesnfails

HAHAHA I always get a kick out of your videos. I don't know what you're using for add-ons, but it looks pretty decent.

I'm not a pilot by any stretch of the imagination. So this is just my opinion. If you have no choice but to land on water, then there you go. A river or lake is a lot more suitable. The ocean is a beast with its waves and can do far more damage. I'd try to glide onto land in an open area if at all possible. Main reason is: can you swim long distances?

With what I see there, there was plenty of open space for a nice glide onto the ground instead of out in the middle of that river and possibly drowning only having survived the crash landing. But like I said, if you have no choice then that's where you set her down. Just like flight 1549 on the Hudson. Sullenberger was going to try a Teterboro landing, but couldn't make it in time.

Username to video ratio is good. :D

With what I see there, there was plenty of open space for a nice glide onto the ground instead of out in the middle of that river and possibly drowning only having survived the crash landing. But like I said, if you have no choice then that's where you set her down. Just like flight 1549 on the Hudson. Sullenberger was going to try a Teterboro landing, but couldn't make it in time.

Username to video ratio is good. :D

Yeah, think you are right about a nice glide onto land. What do you think about pitching the plane straight up and bailing out?

Yeah, think you are right about a nice glide onto land. What do you think about pitching the plane straight up and bailing out?

Might find your ass hitting the front of the plane on ejection. LOL!

I'd just bail out at as level flight if at all possible.

Another thing you should know is that water may seem safe, but in reality it's like concrete when you hit it. Just like snow. People think it's some fluffy white stuff but nothing can be farther from the truth. In fact, during an avalanche when you get buried in snow you don't really know which side is up or down and you can't get out. You're sealed in. That's why if anyone skies or goes cross country skiing they should wear a personal locator beacon. Your chances of survival goes way up.

They also sell personal locator beacons for everyday use in trekking in remote areas and what not. Once activated it will send a signal to a constellation of satellites and the company will inform the local SAR (Search And Rescue), etc. You can even buy a satellite phone and calling cards for them on eBay. Then if you're in distress you can call an emergency agency and report your UTM coordinate to them. I'd have a handheld GPS and a backup GPS with plenty of batteries and a Sat phone in a plane for such an event. Of course a topographic map and good compass would be better, but you need to know how to use them, shot azimuths and all that rot. Plenty of books on Amazon for such a thing. :pilot:

Archived