FSX not saving Buttons/Keys

Kirk

At the risk of being branded a whiner, I have to say the seemingly constant trouble shooting of FSX SE is sucking a lot of the fun out of this new hobby.

It doesn't seem to want to save the Buttons/Keys that I setup. Three times today I've sat down to do a little flying and each time I've had to remap the buttons on my Saitek Yoke. This seems to be a new thing.

I took advantage of Black Friday prices and set up multiple monitors: Forward, Left Wing, Right Wing. Could this somehow be messing up the remapping of Buttons/Keys?

I have a registered version of FSUIPC that I bought, but, unlike many flight sim enthusiasts, I don't care for it at all. But maybe I should revisit it?

Any help, guidance, or consoling would be very much appreciated.

Prepar3d v4: HP Omen Desktop. Intel Core i7-8700K (6 Core, 3.7GHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11GB dedicated GDDR5X), 16GB RAM, 2TB Hard Drive, 1TB SSD, 512GB SSD, Windows 10.

At the risk of being branded a whiner, I have to say the seemingly constant trouble shooting of FSX SE is sucking a lot of the fun out of this new hobby.

Any help, guidance, or consoling would be very much appreciated.

Consoling? You've picked the wrong hobby Kirk, for sure! Oh, and no Confessionals allowed either! :rolleyes:

Rick :cool:

Hi Kirk, this sounds like a Windows permissions issue - your Saitek button assignments are being overwritten by Windows on shutdown/restart. You'll need to run the Saitek utility "As Administrator": https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11841-run-administrator.html

Although the above guide is for Windows 7, it's basically the same process for Vista, 7, 8 and 10.

It's best practice to do this for all flight sim related programs, including flight sim itself.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Kirk:

I returned to Windows 7 from 10, when settings, Saiteck or otherwise kept getting trashed due to W10's auto update protocol. On the other hand, my son does not have an issue with Windows 10, and I will be inheriting his 4 core shortly. So we will see - In Win 7 I have no issues in terms of loosing settings. With W10 it happened daily - best OKD - https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?313800-Goodwood-4-FSX-(-EGHR-)-Reloaded

I had a similar issue, I was told I might be closing down my computer too quickly after exiting FSX without lettiing it save the settings - now I let FSX completely finish (the screen flickers once) before switching off.mI also put most of my controls on to FSUIPC, which I also hate, but have to live with. I've not had a repeat occrance, and for me it was once or twice a week.

- Paul Elliott

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Come and follow my recreation of this historic light here: HERE

I had a similar issue, I was told I might be closing down my computer too quickly after exiting FSX without lettiing it save the settings - now I let FSX completely finish (the screen flickers once) before switching off.mI also put most of my controls on to FSUIPC, which I also hate, but have to live with. I've not had a repeat occrance, and for me it was once or twice a week.

Thanks for this. It's good to know that others have experienced it also. I'll keep in mind to give FSX time to shut down properly.

I've gone through and have set every .exe associated with FSX to run as Admin. Maybe not a good idea but I did it anyway. I've also checked to make sure all .cfg files aren't set to read only.

The last several days have shown that, so far anyway, the fsx.cfg file is indeed being saved. I've been checking the modified date/time.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Prepar3d v4: HP Omen Desktop. Intel Core i7-8700K (6 Core, 3.7GHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11GB dedicated GDDR5X), 16GB RAM, 2TB Hard Drive, 1TB SSD, 512GB SSD, Windows 10.

In fsuipc you assign (can assign) a different profile for each plane.

There are several advantages to FSUIPC. Yes, it can be a pain to navigate on set-up. But if you get it right, FSUIPC can help you in more ways than just keeping the buttons set! ;)

And Welcome Aboard!!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived