P3d future version

Stans2Low

From what I read the p3dv4 download is about 13 GB and I "might" still have that much left on my measured wifi account at the end of this month. However v4 is about 2 years old and looks like they put out a new version about every 2 years so maybe it's about due. So maybe I'd wait. Don't want to be the guinea pig though. Windows updates taught me that. What to do.

I understand that may be an impossible question to answer with confidence.

Also, I just read the official download / installation instructions. Looks complicated (and I haven't smoked anything), but then I've read about lots of installation problems with FSX and I never experienced any. Do I need to know all the tricks, or will it just install itself while I relax with a beer?

The next version is likely to be V4.4, due in the `last quarter of the year` - so may not be long now. This is likely to be another incremental upgrade.

Installation is simply a matter of downloading the constituent parts, either in part or whole. V4 is about 10 gig as a complete download. The complete installation is about 13-14 gig. The developers site includes options for a `version` upgrade (usually just a Client upgrade or as in v4.3 with an optional Content upgrade too) so if you are planning a new install of P3D now you can start your download whenever you like and just upgrade when v4.4 appears.

You should also read the EULA to assure yourself you qualify before you start any of this.

Installation for first time users is simply a matter of combining the elements in a temp folder and running a setup.exe. Then spending some time setting up controls and the like. If you're familiar with FSX this should be second nature...

With P3D, is that download a package or series of files, or do you launch P3D's update withen game its self? Reason I ask, and based on the OP's limited bandwidth allotment, you could go to Starbucks or another coffee shop or somewhere that has free public WIFI and download the update there so you save on your home bandwidth. Of course this requires a laptop.

Back in the day when I had my second computer, a Dell Inspiron 8100, my family and I only had dial-up. So being the computer person I am I wanted some Linux destros to play with but they were at least 4 GB in size. So what I'd do is go to the back of a store here called Office Depot and hang out behind the store and their trash can picking up their, what seemed like free WIFI. At least it wasn't password protected anyway. There I was able to download large files and what have you. Another place I'd like to visit was a park down the street, and right across the street a guy never had a password for his WIFI. So I was able to sit there in the park and download things. LOL At the time there was no coffee shop or Starbucks withen walking distance and I had no car to visit the nearest Starbucks or coffee shop.

When we finally got Comcast with "high speed Internet" for the time, it was a whole new world. We had about 20 Mbps download speed circa 2006. Now we have 100 Mbps and it's pretty decent I guess, but for me a little too fast. The bandwidth is nice because we have more than one computer, but we probably could get by with 50 Mbps. We don't use any streaming service so I guess each person is different. I was looking at getting a Roku though just for the Boomerang Channel. I love my classic cartoons. Great escape from reality.

Anyway.

Thanks, maybe I'll wait just a bit for 4.4, so I don't have to upgrade.

You should also read the EULA to assure yourself you qualify before you start any of this.

I was going for the pro version so I guess I qualify. EULA says no entertainment so I guess I have to promise not to grin if I'm zigzagging through the trees.

If I don't use all my wifi by the end of the month it disappears anyway so I'm not out anything. Never seem to use it all even if I try. Download speed varies from about 2 Mb/sec at the slowest to about 50/sec fastest, avg. about 10/sec so it's a 20 minute download unless I wait til after midnight.

Thanks, maybe I'll wait just a bit for 4.4, so I don't have to upgrade.

I was going for the pro version so I guess I qualify. EULA says no entertainment so I guess I have to promise not to grin if I'm zigzagging through the trees.

If I don't use all my wifi by the end of the month it disappears anyway so I'm not out anything. Never seem to use it all even if I try. Download speed varies from about 2 Mb/sec at the slowest to about 50/sec fastest, avg. about 10/sec so it's a 20 minute download unless I wait til after midnight.

In that case, split the download over two months. Easily done with the P3D installation...

In that case, split the download over two months. Easily done with the P3D installation...

I should add: If precious iterations were anything to go by, incremental updates require ONLY Client and Content to be updated - a few hundred meg and a few gig, respectively.

There is no reason NOT to purchase now, and update later. V4.3 to v4.4 will NOT require a complete reinstall, AFAIK.

Only Full Version updates require all three aspects to be (re)installed - Client, Content and Scenery. So when V4 moves to `P3Dv5` you can expect a complete download will be required and is due some time in 2019 - it is anticipated V4.5 will be the last of the V4 updates, but this might change...

I like this idea, looked on the p3d site but didn't see how to do it. There was something in the FAQ's about interrupted downloads, don't know if that's what you meant.

I like this idea, looked on the p3d site but didn't see how to do it. There was something in the FAQ's about interrupted downloads, don't know if that's what you meant.

Once you progress to the Sales page, it will give you options to download the whole thing or to break down the downloads into single gigabyte size chunks. Choose there...

Hello

If you sign into your Prepar3D account and click the little "+" to expand the component Installers.

This is the complete Prepar3D package broken down into components.

You will notice the size of each component on the right sight. The scenex.cab files are the biggest in size, Following on by the Install_Content.msi files

You can split the download over a month or two no problem.

When you are finished and once you have all files listed here in the same location you are ready to Install Prepar3D.

45143796645_9cb8fe1c98_o.png

Elaine Dixon

Thanks, good information. I'll wait til the last day of my account month, check my data balance, and if it's less than 12.3 GB (probably at least 10) download what I can. Next day I'll have another 22 GB and download the rest.

Need to check the other laptop and see if meets the requirements first.

Thanks, good information. I'll wait til the last day of my account month, check my data balance, and if it's less than 12.3 GB (probably at least 10) download what I can. Next day I'll have another 22 GB and download the rest.

Need to check the other laptop and see if meets the requirements first.

Well it looks like 4.4 release is tomorrow (the 28th November) so you should be able to stagger installation over month end.

As always I caution installation on `day of release` - PBR is being introduced with v4.4 and this may - may - have implications for the rendering of textures, in particular addon aircraft and scenery...

It MAY be better to wait to install v4.4 until the end of the next month by which time the fuss will have died down and the cretinosity level will have returned to normal. Hopefully.

Archived