Pilot Controlled Lighting on VHF frequency

dnpaul

From what I read, in real life you would key up on the Common Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF) a certain amount of times or just once, I think. On the aeronautical chart it will indicate if the airport has controlled lightning or not. I can't remember now what the symbol on the chart was. I wanna say a small star, but I think that's the airport light beacon indicator. It might be the use of a letter L on the chart.

In the Sim for pilot controlled lighting you just tune to the ILS frequency of that runway. I had used pilot controlled lighting at my Area-51 project back in FS2004. Even some hangers opened with a certain frequency tuned to Nav 2.

I don't think it works in the sim -- don't know how to "key the mic" but in real life, at airports so equipped, you click your mic a few times. How many is dependent, but 3 clicks might get you low intensity, 5 clicks medium and 7 clicks high. But not all airports are equipped the same, so it may vary.

I just found this:

Clicking seven times within five seconds when you’re five miles or less from the airport activates them, and the lights stay on for 15 minutes following activation. Some systems allow pilots to adjust the lighting intensity: three clicks for low, five clicks for medium, and seven clicks for high, once it’s been activated.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

You don't click a mic in the Sim. As I stated you tune to a Nav frequency. It's like 112.xx something. Been a while. But those object lights need to be used by the Dev who stuck them there. It's not an option by default in the Sim.

You don't click a mic in the Sim. As I stated you tune to a Nav frequency. It's like 112.xx something. Been a while. But those object lights need to be used by the Dev who stuck them there. It's not an option by default in the Sim.

OK, you're talking add-on, I was talking without add-ons, for the sim. Apples and Oranges...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Quote-

It's not an option by default in the sim.

End quote-

And it's not an add-on. That would be the wrong terminology. It's an object. Specifically a string of lights. An add-on would encompass something like ORBX or Active Sky Cloud Art, etc.

I don't think it works in the sim -- don't know how to "key the mic" but in real life, at airports so equipped, you click your mic a few times. How many is dependent, but 3 clicks might get you low intensity, 5 clicks medium and 7 clicks high. But not all airports are equipped the same, so it may vary.

I just found this:

Clicking seven times within five seconds when you’re five miles or less from the airport activates them, and the lights stay on for 15 minutes following activation. Some systems allow pilots to adjust the lighting intensity: three clicks for low, five clicks for medium, and seven clicks for high, once it’s been activated.

OK, thanks! I should have clarified in my OP that I was asking about the real world, not the sim.

Archived