Know CPR!

CRJ_simpilot

Hey everyone. This is off topic, but I have to share because it's very important. My dad just had a heart arrhythmia according to what the doctor said. My dad was unconscious. My mom called 9-11 and I gave CPR. Because I did that the Doc said I saved his life. In fact, he said people typically die with a heart arrhythmia. He's very, VERY lucky. So with that I wanted to share this video and these links and encourage everyone to learn CPR. You may in fact save a life one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW0Do2-J

https://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/quickcpr.html

https://www.mayoclinic.org/first-aid/first-aid-cpr/basics/art-20056600

Yeah, all of the nurses and doctors had to shake my hand. I personally think it was just divine providence. There were a lot of factors at work here that all came together in such a certain situation that his life was spared. I told my dad today in the hospital that he plays the lotto all the time, but he in fact won the lotto of life and got a second chance. I can't even stress how unbelievable it was he even survived at all. My sister was on her phone and said something like 6% only make it. He may need stents or just medication.

It really is another reminder to all that we are here today and gone tomorrow just like that. It happens in an instant, believe you me. My parents and I were evolved in a car accident back when I was in high school at no fault of ours and it was like angels were there or something. None of us were wearing seat belts. And I bent the station wagon seat in the back with my chest at a 45 degree angle. The only injuries I sustained was an abrasion on my arm and a glass sliver in my earlobe. I should have went right through the front window on out onto the hood.

There is more to this universe then we think we know. Somethings there, I can't explain it.

@CRJ, Years ago I did first aid at work, one day I saw a passenger in the arrivals hall on the floor with his wife kneeling over him.

I went to assist, he had a heart attack, I asked the usual questions, like had he been drinking, was he on medication etc.

I started to do CPR, then after another passenger came over to assist, she said she was a nurse, so as you know anyone more qualified takes charge.

She told me to do the mouth to mouth and she did the pumping of the heart, we did this for a while then the fire team arrived with breathing gear, they put him on a stretcher and rushed him to hospital.

After about 2 weeks a police woman came to interview me about the incident, apparently the man had died, now what she wanted to know is exactly what happened, she wanted to see my first aid certificate to prove I knew what I was doing.

I asked why she was asking all this and it seems if I had done something wrong I could be held responsible, after that I was always a bit careful when offering first aid.

There was a guy I was working with was eating his lunch and he started to choke, he was really choking couldn't talk and was trying to get his breath.

I banged him on the back but he was still choking and he was getting worse, I did the abdominal thrust and I could feel he was keeling over, luckily he coughed the piece of food up that was stuck.

After he was settled down he thanked me and said, he thought he was a gonna, he couldn't breath.

I felt proud of myself after that, it is a nice feeling when you know your actions played a part in saving a life.

So congratulations on your actions and I'm glad your dad is OK.

Yeah, here in the states there seems to be a lot of sue happys out for money for every trivial thing. But we have the Good Samaritan law which helps protect those that offer first aid from litigation. You may end up in court, but your lawyer will argue that among other things to help protect you. The sucky thing is you have to pay the lawyer and the court fees. So because of that many don't even bother to help, and a great majority would rather stand there and pull out their phone and film the damn thing. I'm not like that. If I were to be sued over something as egregious as rendering first aid I will make your life a living hell, and you WILL pay my attorney and court costs incurred. In other words, I'll fight and fright hard with my lawyer/s.

Sad world we live in.

Why is it called the Good Samaritan law? Luke 10:25 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+10%3A25-37&version=NIV

Pretty much says, and is even true today that even a preacher can be a scumbag.

Aaron,

Great job!!!

As a Paramedic I can tell you that what you did actually DID save your dad's life. Besides giving him the best chance for survival to hospital discharge.

I would ask that everyone here learn the basics of CPR. It's not rocket science but it does save lives!

Bill

Licensed Paramedic, Licensed EMS Instructor, AAS, BA

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

Thanks. I remember a commercial that said you use the rhythm of the song staying alive and that's exactly what I did. I also knew that if I didn't get blood through his brain he'd be a vegetable.

He has what is called the widow maker. I guess from what my mom read people die from that withen 2 minutes and only 2% survive it. He's very lucky, and like I said, I think it was divine providence. There are things in this universe we just can't explain.

He'll go in for an angioplasty Monday and I hope they don't have to do a bypass. Because he's already got 10 broken ribs from the compressions and if they go in for a bypass he'd have to go through the ordeal of a sawed open sternum. It's hard enough as it is for him to cough and they are watching for pneumonia.

My mom had quadruple bypass surgery a couple years ago so I know what she went through. Ironically he'll be at the same hospital where my mom was at.

I always asked God that I wanted to save a life one day. And I'm an organ donor just in case where I can save at least 6 lives. I even looked into being a kidney donor or live liver transplant donor. But I never imaged not even in a million years I'd save my dad's life. So I guess mission accomplished on that personal endeavor. But I suppose as I live life I'll have other chances to make a difference as well. I'm 38 and still have at least 40 more years.

When I was doing CPR someone came up with a jumper rolled to make a cushion for the guys head, I said no it is best the head is flat on the ground that way it lets more air in.

They looked a bit annoyed I refused their offer but I knew it was the best way, I understood their concern for his comfort.

On a different subject I saw a young lad having an epileptic fit, someone was trying to hold him, I told them to leave him to thrash it out, just make sure any objects that he could hurt himself are clear, if he looks like he may hurt himself then obviously hold him or try and move him out of harms way.

When he had finished thrashing about I did hold him making sure he was OK, I was told the old method of holding them on their side was now out of date and it is best to do as I did and leave them to thrash it out.

You're exactly right about that.

As to the guys head and comfort, believe me they don't even know what's going on and comfort means nothing at that point. When I was giving chest compressions to my dad I was saying, "hang on dad, the EMTs are on the way." But he didn't hear that at all. In fact, he didn't even know what was going on. I asked the nurse if he was clinically dead and she asked me some questions and told me he was like "warm dead." My brother saw him go to the ambulance and he said my dad's eyes were like flickering around. I've actually seen that once with a man who blew his head off in front of me. He was a Marine and I assume he served in Iraq or Afghanistan and was suffering form PTSD. You never want to see that. Tons of blood and what have you. I was in a state of shock. I didn't even think it was real. Like how can a man just put a gun to his head and pull the trigger like that? Pretty damn surreal.

I've been through and seen a lot of carnage in my life so far. More so than anyone should see and endure. It's partly why I see a psychologist every month. But I gotta tell you. I've been reading this book called Violence Of Mind and that guy, Varg Freeborn went though hell and back! Very, VERY good book on defense and things concerning concealed carry and what have you. Check it out at Amazon and read the preface there. Anyone wanting to conceal carry NEEDS to read that book.

Wow! I've seen a few auto accidents and they were bad enough, but to see what you did must play on your mind a lot.

There was a guy I worked with and he was in Arnhem in Holland in WW2, he saw his best mate blown up right in front of him, I believe it was a terrible battle, one of the worst in WW2.

Some of the lads used to make fun of him because he spoke in a Welsh accent, he never lost his temper he just took it, I told them about what happened and they stopped after that.

You have my utmost respect CRJ, in fact you should change you nic to 'CPRJ' lol.

The out-of-hospital cardiac arrest survival rate is only 18%. testifies to the fact a little goes long way. Thanks for posting this. Great reminder of how effective we can be in the lives of others with a little effort!

Isn't that something? My sister and mom work for a retirement home and when they told everyone they had goosebumps, including the nurse that shook my hand.

Like I said, there are some things in this universe we just can't explain. I don't even think my dad knows how lucky he is. Right now he's worried about the bill, but it's already caped now at $3500. He didn't even want Thanksgiving dinner at the hospital because it cost $7.50! The man has always been cheap. LOL My brother takes after him, he's amassed quite the savings account living on the cheap.

I've been CPR and First Aid certified since I was 13. It was required by the dive shop I learned at, then by the Marines, and finally, by the last job I had. Only had to use it twice.

Drowning victims are, and I hate to say this, because it may be me someday, truly nasty to give rescue breathing to. Thankfully, we had scuba rigs we could use to provide that for the poor guy.

The second one was a guard out at work at my last job. They said there was nothing we could have done, but we were trying hard. The paramedics told us later that his heart had just "exploded", and he was dead before he hit the ground. We gave CPR anyway. We didn't know what his situation was. So did the paramedics. They said we did the right things, it was just that it wouldn't have mattered if it had happened in a hospital.

I guess it's CRJ 1, Pat 0. Nice job, man. I am glad it's worked out well for you.

By the way, your dad and brother aren't "cheap". They're just frugal. VERY frugal :rolleyes:

Have fun, all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

By the way, your dad and brother aren't "cheap". They're just frugal. VERY frugal

They are indeed. LOL

About the rescue breathes. I saw a YouTube video that said you can just do hands only CPR since it is now understood that there is still more than enough oxygen in the blood stream. That's what I did to my dad, and that's what the paramedics did. According to the YouTube video if you do rescue breathes it's 30 to 2. 30 compressions to 2 breathes. Of course if one were to do this make sure they lift the chin.

I am 67 and have heart issues but I have been feeling a whole lot better since starting a C-PAP machine in July. I was told Sleep Apnea causes heart problems. You need to have your dad do a Sleep Study asap. There is too much on this subject to mention here. Maybe he has sleep issues he does not know about. Otherwise, congrats on saving him. I do casually tell the Mrs that she should learn CPR but like everything here, we need a "Round Tuit" to get to it.

REDD

I am 67 and have heart issues but I have been feeling a whole lot better since starting a C-PAP machine in July. I was told Sleep Apnea causes heart problems. You need to have your dad do a Sleep Study asap. There is too much on this subject to mention here. Maybe he has sleep issues he does not know about. Otherwise, congrats on saving him. I do casually tell the Mrs that she should learn CPR but like everything here, we need a "Round Tuit" to get to it.

REDD

REDD - I had the sleep study one year ago April, diagnosed with 92 events/hr, I definitely have Sleep Apnea, and I too have heart issues. I was reluctant going to the CPAP, but today, you could point a gun to my head, You're not getting my CPAP machine!!! I love it!

Rick

REDD

Well, my mom had bypass surgery back in 2016. When she came home she was on oxygen and then a CPAP. She's been on a CPAP and an oxygen machine since two years ago now.

In my dad's case it's more than likely poor diet and smoking. I sure hope the hell he too doesn't need oxygen and a CPAP. That be double the crap in their bedroom. That and double the damn bill!

Then my dad likes to camp, so he'd have to buy a portable CPAP. They don't have the money.

Well, good news to report. My dad had the angioplasty today without complication thus far. They were talking about installing a pace maker. Not sure if they'll do that or not.

I'm glad they were able to just do the angioplasty and not the bypass. With a bypass they pull part of the sternum out and he already has broken ribs from the chest compressions. My mom had bypass surgery and that was no fun for her. She said she felt like 20 years older after that surgery. Makes it hard to get in bed, cough, etc. Your chest is extremely sore. So if my dad had a bypass, not only would he have to deal with the 10 broken ribs, but the sawed open sternum.

Nurse today said she was glad to have met him. Not often they see a patient like that from what he had. They don't call it the "widow maker" for nothing.

Archived