Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Know CPR!

The out-of-hospital cardiac arrest survival rate is only 18%. testifies to the fact a little goes long way. Thanks for posting this. Great reminder of how effective we can be in the lives of others with a little effort!

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ColR1948 View Post
    You have my utmost respect CRJ, in fact you should change you nic to 'CPRJ' lol.
    HAHAHA That's a good one.

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    Why Windows 10 suxx
    FS2004 and FSX are CPU ORIENTATED games. Don't go hog wild on a GPU! Won't matter.
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dlfrenchmd View Post
    The out-of-hospital cardiac arrest survival rate is only 18%. testifies to the fact a little goes long way. Thanks for posting this. Great reminder of how effective we can be in the lives of others with a little effort!
    Isn't that something? My sister and mom work for a retirement home and when they told everyone they had goosebumps, including the nurse that shook my hand.

Like I said, there are some things in this universe we just can't explain. I don't even think my dad knows how lucky he is. Right now he's worried about the bill, but it's already caped now at $3500. He didn't even want Thanksgiving dinner at the hospital because it cost $7.50! The man has always been cheap. LOL My brother takes after him, he's amassed quite the savings account living on the cheap.

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Why Windows 10 suxx
    FS2004 and FSX are CPU ORIENTATED games. Don't go hog wild on a GPU! Won't matter.
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

I've been CPR and First Aid certified since I was 13. It was required by the dive shop I learned at, then by the Marines, and finally, by the last job I had. Only had to use it twice.

Drowning victims are, and I hate to say this, because it may be me someday, truly nasty to give rescue breathing to. Thankfully, we had scuba rigs we could use to provide that for the poor guy.

The second one was a guard out at work at my last job. They said there was nothing we could have done, but we were trying hard. The paramedics told us later that his heart had just "exploded", and he was dead before he hit the ground. We gave CPR anyway. We didn't know what his situation was. So did the paramedics. They said we did the right things, it was just that it wouldn't have mattered if it had happened in a hospital.

I guess it's CRJ 1, Pat 0. Nice job, man. I am glad it's worked out well for you.

By the way, your dad and brother aren't "cheap". They're just frugal. VERY frugal

Have fun, all!
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    By the way, your dad and brother aren't "cheap". They're just frugal. VERY frugal
    They are indeed. LOL

About the rescue breathes. I saw a YouTube video that said you can just do hands only CPR since it is now understood that there is still more than enough oxygen in the blood stream. That's what I did to my dad, and that's what the paramedics did. According to the YouTube video if you do rescue breathes it's 30 to 2. 30 compressions to 2 breathes. Of course if one were to do this make sure they lift the chin.

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Why Windows 10 suxx

1 MILE FROM MISSISSIPPI RIVER QUAD CITIES

I am 67 and have heart issues but I have been feeling a whole lot better since starting a C-PAP machine in July. I was told Sleep Apnea causes heart problems. You need to have your dad do a Sleep Study asap. There is too much on this subject to mention here. Maybe he has sleep issues he does not know about. Otherwise, congrats on saving him. I do casually tell the Mrs that she should learn CPR but like everything here, we need a "Round Tuit" to get to it.

REDD

Quote Originally Posted by REDDAIR View Post
    I am 67 and have heart issues but I have been feeling a whole lot better since starting a C-PAP machine in July. I was told Sleep Apnea causes heart problems. You need to have your dad do a Sleep Study asap. There is too much on this subject to mention here. Maybe he has sleep issues he does not know about. Otherwise, congrats on saving him. I do casually tell the Mrs that she should learn CPR but like everything here, we need a "Round Tuit" to get to it.

REDD
    REDD - I had the sleep study one year ago April, diagnosed with 92 events/hr, I definitely have Sleep Apnea, and I too have heart issues. I was reluctant going to the CPAP, but today, you could point a gun to my head, You're not getting my CPAP machine!!! I love it!

Rick

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by REDDAIR View Post

REDD
    Well, my mom had bypass surgery back in 2016. When she came home she was on oxygen and then a CPAP. She's been on a CPAP and an oxygen machine since two years ago now.

In my dad's case it's more than likely poor diet and smoking. I sure hope the hell he too doesn't need oxygen and a CPAP. That be double the crap in their bedroom. That and double the damn bill!

Then my dad likes to camp, so he'd have to buy a portable CPAP. They don't have the money.
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 11-25-2018 at 12:56 AM.

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Why Windows 10 suxx

9. Default

Well, good news to report. My dad had the angioplasty today without complication thus far. They were talking about installing a pace maker. Not sure if they'll do that or not.

I'm glad they were able to just do the angioplasty and not the bypass. With a bypass they pull part of the sternum out and he already has broken ribs from the chest compressions. My mom had bypass surgery and that was no fun for her. She said she felt like 20 years older after that surgery. Makes it hard to get in bed, cough, etc. Your chest is extremely sore. So if my dad had a bypass, not only would he have to deal with the 10 broken ribs, but the sawed open sternum.

Nurse today said she was glad to have met him. Not often they see a patient like that from what he had. They don't call it the "widow maker" for nothing.

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Why Windows 10 suxx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2