REX or Hifi software licensing -ok to install in laptop and later to my new desktop?

oneleg

I'm thinking of buying Opus and REX4 Texture Direct with Soft Clouds...

Or software from Hifi. Can't decide whether I should buy their Active Sky andCloud Art for dynamic clouds instead.

Can I buy them when they go on holday sale and try them out in my laptop now and re-install it later in my new (not-yet-available) desktop?

How does software licensing from these two vendors generally work?

Thanks.

Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

I would recommend ASP4 and ASCA Cloud art from Hifi for the best weather integration. You can install on laptop now and reinstall on desktop later with no issues. Obviously you cannot have them both active simultaneously. I would also suggest looking at Envtex which also integrates with ASCA and ASP4.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

I would recommend ASP4 and ASCA Cloud art from Hifi for the best weather integration. You can install on laptop now and reinstall on desktop later with no issues. Obviously you cannot have them both active simultaneously. I would also suggest looking at Envtex which also integrates with ASCA and ASP4.

Vic

Rex4 has airport and water enhancements whereas those from Hifi do not. Can you confirm?

Would REX4 work with ActiveSky? Would ActiveSky have overlapping cloud or sky textures with Rex4?

Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

Rex4 has airport and water enhancements whereas those from Hifi do not. Can you confirm?

Would REX4 work with ActiveSky? Would ActiveSky have overlapping cloud or sky textures with Rex4?

If you're going for P3Dv4 then your comparison SHOULD be between REX Sky Force 3D and Hi Fi ASP4.

Neither works with the other, although one can work with the weather engine from one and the textures from the other - but then you'd have bought BOTH, only to use parts of each. Cant see any reason why you would do that?

AFAIK only Sky Force offers inbuilt compliance with PTA. REX Sky Force will also be added to shorlty with an addon called REX Environment Force:

http://www.rexenvironmentforce.com/

or you could get asp4 and get smooth weather transitions now. AS has had them for several versions. There is a reason it is by far the best weather engine available. As to clouds and skies, that's a purely subjective thing - strictly in the eye of the beholder.

The advantage to ASP4 and ASCA combination is weather influenced dynamic updating of the cloud sets as you fly. If that is of no importance to your type of flying, then just go for which clouds you think are best looking in your sim.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

or you could get asp4 and get smooth weather transitions now. AS has had them for several versions. There is a reason it is by far the best weather engine available. As to clouds and skies, that's a purely subjective thing - strictly in the eye of the beholder.

The advantage to ASP4 and ASCA combination is weather influenced dynamic updating of the cloud sets as you fly. If that is of no importance to your type of flying, then just go for which clouds you think are best looking in your sim.

Vic

Does ASP4 and ASCA have water and airport textures?

I fly GA planes at low altitudes which is why I'm interested in water (inland water and shallow ocean waters especially) and airport textures too.

ASP4 is the weather engine only - it has no textures. ASCA is sky and clouds. I use ENVTEX for water and airport textures. However you can use the rex textures if you prefer them. Also envtex adds more clouds and sky options than blend perfectly with ASCA.

Vic

P3D Rig

Only REX covers both sky and ground scenery, to a certain extent, BUT you could buy REX Worldwide Airports HD which offers ONLY such things as runways, taxiways and airport textures - but not ground textures generally.

Matched with ASP 4 and ASCA for weather generation AND replacement sky and cloud textures you would have the complete set.

NOTE: P3d has NO native weather engine, only manually selectable conditions.

The best ground textures are from ORBX and do everything BUT for airports and associated textures.

I agree, the Rex HD airports are really exceptional! A must have IMHO.

Vic

P3D Rig

ASP4 is the weather engine only - it has no textures. ASCA is sky and clouds. I use ENVTEX for water and airport textures. However you can use the rex textures if you prefer them. Also envtex adds more clouds and sky options than blend perfectly with ASCA.

Vic

Ah... now I understand. This was your original suggestion. I'll checkout ENVTEX and REX Worldwide Airports HD. Thank you.

Does ENVTEX go on sale? Also will REX Worldwide Airports work well with ORBX sceneries?

Generally speaking, if you had $100 to spend, excluding P3DV4, planes, sceneries, and hardware; what would you spend it on to improve P3DV4. Thanks.

Does ENVTEX go on sale? Also will REX Worldwide Airports work well with ORBX sceneries?

Generally speaking, if you had $100 to spend, excluding P3DV4, planes, sceneries, and hardware; what would you spend it on to improve P3DV4. Thanks.

ASP4 - ASCA - ENVTEX - REX WW Airports - GEXP3D - ORBX Regions

Vic

P3D Rig

ASP4 - ASCA - ENVTEX - REX WW Airports - GEXP3D - ORBX Regions

Vic

Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving... or maybe that should be Happy Black Friday and Cyber Monday... and then Happy Thanksgiving because by then I'd have stuff bought on sale to thank for. :-)

In 50+ years of travelling (including a plane crash were I stayed in the hospital for many months and lost a leg) I've probably looked at clouds from inside a plane as a passenger for a total of .... 30 minutes??

I like to keep things simple and P3D is simpler than configuring FSX. However, I must have spent many, many, many hours already looking and comparing weather utilities, sky and water textures replacements in P3D. More than actually looking at the actual sky in real life!! ... just saying. Cuz I'm beginning to wonder if it's all worth it. I'm remembering someone who said: "this is a flight simulator, not an environment simulator!!". Lol.

In 50+ years of travelling (including a plane crash were I stayed in the hospital for many months and lost a leg) I've probably looked at clouds from inside a plane as a passenger for a total of .... 30 minutes??

I like to keep things simple and P3D is simpler than configuring FSX. However, I must have spent many, many, many hours already looking and comparing weather utilities, sky and water textures replacements in P3D. More than actually looking at the actual sky in real life!! ... just saying. Cuz I'm beginning to wonder if it's all worth it. I'm remembering someone who said: "this is a flight simulator, not an environment simulator!!". Lol.

I have to agree. All the options, and I tend to `fit and forget` one style and leave them for weeks or months until the seasons change. Visibility and sky variations are far more important. And I use PTA and the PTA REX 10-day cycles for those.

Archived