Intel i7 2600K paired with NVIDIA or RADEON

Darrin

Hello,

I have narrowed down my video card search to the RX 470/580 or GTX 1060. They have similar performance characteristics. Is one necessarily going to work better with my i7? Ill be playing FS9 mostly.

Thanks,

Darrin

Hi Darrin,

Intel CPU/Nvidia Graphics - all day - every day - for flight sims...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bJQZKiw.png

Naw! Look at my specs. I get 300 fps in FS2004. I (of course) lock it to 30 fps. Why waste bandwidth on looks you can't 'use'? I also lock at, and get, 30 fps in FSX with no stutters (sliders NOT all 'right'). Save your money.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

GPU won't matter much in the Sim. FS9 and FSX are CPU-driven games. Not like the modern games people play now like Call Of Duty, Red Dead Redemption, etc.

You could literally use a GTX 560 TI ( I did) and your Sim will still perform well.

AMD v. Nvidia is a fallacy in this day and age. They have more than enough power to drive the Sim.

Read Sig.

Side note:

It may be worthwhile to go into your GPU settings and clamp the pre-rendered frames to 2 or 3. This is the amount of CPU power a frame is dedicated to before it's passed onto the GPU. 3 will give you a smoother game while 2 or even 1 will free up the CPU for computational horse power needed for the Sim.

I set mine to 3. I may try 1 one day and see if I can get a FPS increase in NY or Mexico city where I see my frames decrease. I clamp my FPS in the Sim to 25. Your eye can't see beyond that and going past 30 means you're putting an unnecessary load on your CPU.

Don't max out your settings. Use modest adjustments.

Okay, so I can safely go with the cheaper RX 470 then? It wasn’t performance (FPS) I was worried about as much. From what I’ve seen on here, I thought AMD Radeon just didn’t mate well with an Intel processor in general and FS2004/FSX in particular, where you’d have tweaking and settings issues because AMD stopped providing updates for drivers specific to older flight sims — not the newer games, which I don’t play.

IMHO there is a Radeon problem with FSX and occasionally FS9, but I'm not sure exactly where. I had blue screen crashes and hangups. Tried ALL the recommended fixes I could find on the internet sim sources. After 2 years, I switched to FS9 only. Rare, but occasional, crash. After all was said and done, the only fix I hadn't tried was to replace the Radeon v card with NVIDIA. I decided to do it, and no crashes since. Just another weird, rare, anecdotal story to factor in. But I'd go with the NVIDIa. I didn't once before due to cost and people saying it really didn't matter.

Dan

IMHO there is a Radeon problem with FSX and occasionally FS9, but I'm not sure exactly where. I had blue screen crashes and hangups. Tried ALL the recommended fixes I could find on the internet sim sources. After 2 years, I switched to FS9 only. Rare, but occasional, crash. After all was said and done, the only fix I hadn't tried was to replace the Radeon v card with NVIDIA. I decided to do it, and no crashes since. Just another weird, rare, anecdotal story to factor in. But I'd go with the NVIDIa. I didn't once before due to cost and people saying it really didn't matter.

Dan

I heard that AMD cards weren't very well situated for FS, but I wonder if the newer cards work better?

How long ago was this?

Dan

Same situation here with fs9. I built a new pc (I5-7500) in 03/2017 with a RX460 Silent. After 3 months I replaced it by a Nvdia 1050 TI and all problems were gone.

Interesting. I didn't think an AMD card would cause issues, but some have reported so.

I was thinking about this, this morning and I now remember I put FS2004 on my Dell Inspiron 6000 and that I believe had an ATI card. There were no issues other than the crappy quality. I didn't fly on my laptop, I just wanted to see if it would work and I let the cat watch me fly around sitting on the couch. LOL

So, it seems that the majority of anecdotal evidence suggests that NVIDIA is the way to go with flightsim. Even more so if you have an Intel processor, which I do. The obvious drawback is price. That RX 470 is similar in specs to the 1060 and a lot less expensive. Oh well. Like the old adage says -- "you gotta pay to play." Thanks, All!

Naw. The trick is to get the correct drivers (not 'beta' but stable, 64 or 32 bit). And the MB chip set drivers need to be downloaded and installed for your MB to best handle the new GPU. The i7 2600K runs cool because when set to 'Turbo' it will throttle down to 1.2 Ghz when idle. Yet it will (auto) throttle up to 3.87 Ghz when running game. So no need to overclock anything. I love my i7 2600K.

Chuck B

Napamue

PS: My monitor res (and thus FS9 res) is set to 2048x1152x32 and I never have had any issues.

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

The i7 2600K runs cool because when set to 'Turbo' it will throttle down to 1.2 Ghz when idle. Yet it will (auto) throttle up to 3.87 Ghz when running game. So no need to overclock anything. I love my i7 2600K.

Chuck B

They all do that. Look at mine. At idle 800 MHz, and at load about 3.8 GHZ.

u3yVcC3.jpg

Archived