Trying the freeware DC-4 / C-54

kalizzi

I have downloaded the FSX update of Jens B. Kristensen's DC-4, by Bob Chicilo.

DC4_2.jpg

She seems like a very graceful lady and handles really well. The model is well polished and the VC and 2D cockpits are excellent for a freeware. I took the C-54 for a trip to Alaska and took a couple of shots approaching Juneau to land.

DC4_1.jpg

I was wondering which freeware model is the best, I am asking your opinions, folks, including Jan the ultimate authority on the DC-4 on here.

Best wishes.

Khalid

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

All planes looking fine!

Hey Jan, with all those threads, I eventually forgot that it was Beaujolais' Day this Thursday! Cheers

And on the other hand -- second -- there is a fratricide match tonight France-Netherlands! Hope for a draw! :):)

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Jan, Gerard thank you for your kind words. 85 repaints? are you using the same base model as the one I downloaded?

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If we loose the game, we will win the nose-punche festival afterwards.....:mad::mad:

Let's wait and see. But I hope a well-born gentleman aviator will not commit himself into those popular depths! :cool:

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Khalid - I was looking at your pics of the DC-4, I asked myself, those pics look familiar, so I got my download out, took off and something didn't look right! The cockpit glass was dark, there were no props spinning, looked very dark inside the (4) cowlings AND then i looked at your pics and I knew then, I had done something wrong when I downloaded the aircraft several weeks ago. Dummy me, I failed to add the "shared folder" files to the military texture folder. I hadn't flown this big bird since downloading it. I was working hard trying to improve the panel (only 1 multi Tach and 1 multi MP for a 4 engine aircraft). Come on! Anyway, got my textures resolved and here are my pics:

2018-11-16_19-22-39-48.jpg

2018-11-16_19-22-52-258.jpg

This definitely is a nice flying bird!

Rick :cool:

Khalid - I was looking at your pics of the DC-4, I asked myself, those pics look familiar, so I got my download out, took off and something didn't look right! The cockpit glass was dark, there were no props spinning, looked very dark inside the (4) cowlings AND then i looked at your pics and I knew then, I had done something wrong when I downloaded the aircraft several weeks ago. Dummy me, I failed to add the "shared folder" files to the military texture folder. I hadn't flown this big bird since downloading it. I was working hard trying to improve the panel (only 1 multi Tach and 1 multi MP for a 4 engine aircraft). Come on! Anyway, got my textures resolved and here are my pics:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]205996[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]205997[/ATTACH]

This definitely is a nice flying bird!

Dear Rick,

They say there is no question that is too stupid to ask. Did I miss out on the same thing? do I need to add something? Thanks for your kind words by the way. Best wishes. K.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is the one I use: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=152313 , DC4_V30X.zip. And I have the beautiful Flight Replicas payware DC-4, C-54 and Carvair.

Thanks for the link / tip. Downloading right now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dear Rick,

They say there is no question that is too stupid to ask. Did I miss out on the same thing? do I need to add something? Thanks for your kind words by the way. Best wishes. K.

No Khalid, your aircraft was spot-on, it was looking at yours that told me I had not done things right on my side! Thanks for replying back!

No Khalid, your aircraft was spot-on, it was looking at yours that told me I had not done things right on my side! Thanks for replying back!

Thank you Rick, what a relief I was like phew. What triggered me to load and try this baby is an awesome old book I started to read, entitled "Fate is the hunter" by Ernest K. Gann! This book is dangerously addictive. That is, of course, added to love story Jan has with this ship.

Best wishes.

K.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wowwwwwww! awesome...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very nice. :cool: :cool: :) I use them all the time.

Hi Larry, glad you like.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 11 months later...
An old thread, but I want to post a link to this video, a South African Air Force DC-4 doing a display quite a few years ago.

That video is truly amazing. Thank you for sharing. I bet Jan -and others- would love to watch it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]