Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FS9 Windows10

1. Default FS9 Windows10

Hello everyone,

I need your help/advice, please

I am using FS9 on a laptop with Windows XP for more than 10 years already.

I decided to buy a new one. I bought the following one:

ASUS VivoBook 15 F542UF-DM276T
    i5 8250 4-core
    HDD 1TB
    Graphics: Nvidia MX130
    RAM: 8GB

Windows 10 Home

I have a copy of the whole FS9 folder (with all its files: sceneries, etc...) on an external hard drive.

It is a copy of the folder of FS9 exactly as they were installed in my old laptop (running on Windows XP)

C:\Games\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9

I have the following questions:

- If I will copy the whole folder to my new laptop (Windows 10 Home) as it is, will it run properly?

- If not, what should I do in order to run it properly?

I would like to avoid a situation where I will have to install from the scratch FS9 and install all my sceneries, updates, aircrafts, etc....It took me more than 10 years updating all my favorite aircrafts and sceneries, etc...and I don't want to start from the scratch everything

I would highly appreciate all your help and advices

David

2. Default

For starters, you didn't mention if you're running 32 or 64 bit Win10 on your new machine.
    Win10 is pretty specific when it comes to running older 32 bit software, check the topics here and you'll find some good info on running FS9 in Win10.

Next, believe me- I wish we could just drop the folders into a new machine but your registry won't know what to do with them. Its better to install FS from the original disk then run the patch installs. Your graphics have probably changed as well, so its better to do a fresh install.

With aircraft and scenery, there's no "right" way to do it. Just bear in mind that after several years your main folders will start to resemble a junk yard (look at your old Gauges folder if you don't believe me ). I've found it best to use a new install as an excuse to really look at what I fly now and where I fly it. Be honest with yourself and "cull" out the files you never or rarely use.

As long as you have a back up drive, you can re-install your old files whenever you want.

David, yes you can just copy & paste! with a few provisions...
    Firstly you ARE probably are running a 64bit version of Windows 10 Home, as the laptop has 8GB RAM.
    Any competent vendor will not supply a 32bit operating system with that amount of RAM.

Like you, I have a copy of my FS2004 on a portable hard drive, & have installed that copy on about 20-30 PC's at my Virtual Club, as well as 6 different versions of FS2004 on my own laptop (similar to yours).

Step 1. Download & run Teracopy from https://www.codesector.com/teracopy
    This is the fastest file copy utilty around.

Step 2. Copy & paste your complete Flight Simulator 9 folder from your portable drive into C:\

Step 3. Open up the C:\Flight Simulator 9 folder, right-click the FS9.exe & 'Send to Desktop'.

Step 4. Double-click the FS9 on the desktop to run the sim.

Step 5. It might/probably will not work.

Step 6. Right-click the desktop icon, select the Compatibility tab, Click Compatibility Mode & select Windows XP (Service Pack2) from the pull down menu, & tick 'Run this program as an administrator' Then Apply & OK.

Step 7. Run the program again.... It will/should work!

Step 8. Go to https://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library & download the Registry Repair Tool, & run it. This tells the Registry where FS2004 has been installed.

Step 9. If the Scenery.cfg had not been copied over from the drive, you might have to add your scenery from the Scenery library.

10. You probably have to reinstall all payware add-ons.

Phew, 10 steps, but it's easier to do than to explain.

I've found re-installing the sim from it's disks is actually a pain, & the above way works.

You can have multiple installs just by renaming the sim folder & the exe file, after copying BUT before running.

Hope this helps :-)

Regards,
    Robin

No doubt of zswobbie1 solution. Maybe the allocation of the registry allows to run FS9 OK.

I have found a easy way to install FS9.

1- Create a new folder (where you want) and name it as you like.
    Inside that folder create 4 folders an name them Disk1 to Disk4

2-Open each disk and copy the content in the corresponding Disk1 to Disk4 folders.

3- Go to Disk1 and execute installer. It installs the complete program without asking for the other disks.

4- Install SP1

For running FS9 in Win 10 you need to replace the FS9.exe with:
    Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 V9.1 No-CD Patch (search in google)

Run as Admin. and in compatibility mode: Win XP SP3

Also with Nvidia cards, use Nvidia inspector and in: 1-COMPATIBILITY - Antialising compatibility, select 0x004412C1 (Diablo III). If not selected, Antialiasing adjustments won't work.

David, like you I flew FS2004 for over 10 years using XP. I regularly backup all my files, including FS2004 onto an external drive for security.
    So when installing FS2004 all you need to do is
    Use the original CDs to install FS2004 onto your new machine.
    - incidentally at the install stage I install to C:\FS9 rather than C:\Games\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9, it makes it easier when editing or moving files within FS2004
    Then copy the whole FS2004 folder from the backup onto the new machine, overwriting all files and you will be back where you were, except that you will be at Seattle in the Cessna!

I should say that I have done this to move from XP to Windows7(64bit) with no trouble, but I have no experience of Windows10.

Your FS9 install points 1-4 is the same as a normal default install from the disks, it just takes longer (& more space) as you have to copy the contents of the Disks first.

The 9.1 No-CD patch is used with any install to eradicate use of Disk4..
    It MUST be used in a Windows 10 install.

I'm taking it forgranted that Dave has updated his original FS2004 (his XP version) with the FS9.1 update, & has been using the no-CD Patch anyway.

In his case, copy & paste, & doing the Registry Fix is by far quicker than any of the other options.

hi, i just finished the same set up as you have.

1. FS2004 on n external drive 2 TB (OLD installation from my Main System)

2. USB connected (bought a USB 2.0 4 port hub from Rosewill ~ 7 dollar)

3. Connected a Mouse and the Logitech joystick to the USB Hub as well as the HD and than to the "LITTLE" $99.00 Laptop I bought in Walmart 32 GB Windows 10

4. BECAUSE this little Laptop has no CD so I just connected the whole system to my Main System.

5. Used the 4 CD's for install on my main system.

6. Before starting the NEW install I RENAMED the OLD FS9 WORKING system on my EXTERNAL HD to in my case
    from Flightsim 9 to Flightsim 91 and made a Folder Flightsim 9 on the external drive.

7. THAN I started the install with 4 CD running on my Main System and it ALL was done i a mare 50 minutes WITHOUT any problem.

8. After the installation was done, I JUST copied from the renamed working OLD install the FS9.exe , 504 KB,

with NO CD function and FS9.1 patch installed from the RENANED folder Flightsim 91 into the Flightsim 9 folder.

DONE it runs like Swiss Clock Work !!

IF you have any questions pls feel free to contact me at my REAL email [email protected].

It is a German email BUT I'm located in Florida.

Sincerely

Guenter Kirschstein

P.S. I have more than 200 planes, NOT all in the active Aircraft Folder, RUN AI traffic with a lot of REAL flying planes
    and had NO re-install to do for any ADDON I have installed.

hello , I ave the same CONFIGURATION like you. ALL o my many FS9 instllation are on EXTERNAL HD's.

I posted a REPLY 10 minutes ago BUT it disappeared for some reason.

I bought me a LITTLE laptop for $99.00, today $ 72.00 , from Walmart. 32 GB I5 , 1 USB port and NO CD.

I bought me an 4 port USB HUB 2.0 and conneted the HD, a Mouse, the Joystick to the HUB.

Then I RENAMED the FOLDER for the FS9 n the external drive. In my case from Flightsimultor 9 to Flightsimulator 911.

On this installation the NO CD with the 9.1 patch is ALREADY installed.

Because the LITTLE laptop has NO CD installed I just conneted it though WIFI with my BIG system.

CREATED on the @ TB HD a NEW Folder Flightsim 9 , run the instll from the 4 CD into the folder Flightsim 9 .

Took roughly 50 minutes and than I just did the following.:

Just Rename the Flightsim 9 folder to Flightsim 9 new install, or anything else.

NOW RENAME the ORIGINAL FS9 folder, presntly named Flightsim 91 BACK to the original name , n my case Flightsim 9.

Thats it FS9 is running, NO chance to any of your ADDON yu have installed. I have over 3000 planes on y system,

and in th Min folder I have 400-500 active.
    I run AI with the original flyable planes without any problem.

Pls feel free to contact e at : [email protected] (it is a German email but I reside in Florida)

sincerely

Guenter Kirschstein

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Your FS9 install points 1-4 is the same as a normal default install from the disks, it just takes longer (& more space) as you have to copy the contents of the Disks first.
    I did that once, and this is as I keep FS9 installer in a HDD, it takes 1,87 Gb equal to discs and the installation is faster.

I had copied the discs to the HDD and could not mount them with the Win10 tool and did'n want to install Daemon.
    Last edited by howlak; 11-15-2018 at 08:13 AM.

10. Default

Wow... Thank you all for your prompt replies... You rock!!
    Once i will have some free time I will try all options and let you know...
    Highly appreciating all your support guys...thanks a lot ))

Best regards
    David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast