For v4.3, should I buy and use 16 GB or 32 GB of RAM if...

oneleg

... the 32 GB of memory will cost me about U$100-150 more? I have a micro-ATX and the maximum memory possible is two sticks or modules only.

The memory is G.Skill 3200 and the latency is 16. My choice is to buy 2 x 8 or 2 x 16. Thank you.

P.S. This is for Windows 10 64-bit, i7-8700K CPU, and gtx 1070 GPU.

Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

... the 32 GB of memory will cost me about U$100-150 more? I have a micro-ATX and the maximum memory possible is two sticks or modules only.

The memory is G.Skill 3200 and the latency is 16. My choice is to buy 2 x 8 or 2 x 16. Thank you.

P.S. This is for Windows 10 64-bit, i7-8700K CPU, and gtx 1070 GPU.

While I have never seen the sim itself even use 16 gB, whatever else you pile in there can benefit from more and better RAM...

How long do you plan to go before you upgrade your system again?

You probably won't use the extra 16g now, but in 4 years? You might wish you had it, either for P3D or some other application.

I'll likely upgrade again in about 4 years. In four years, like or not, due to compatibility and pricing issues, I'll end up having to upgrade everything else anyway. A good example is my current system now. My motherboard with an i5-2500k failed (Asus P8Z68 Pro Gen/3). A used replacement board now is more expensive than a new Z370 board. Instead of replacing the failed motherboard I figured I'd upgrade instead. Four years ago, a 64 bit replacement for FSX did not exists.

Four years from now, I'm hoping that I'd see each raindrop falling on the ground, water puddles, and surf get a better simulation than exists now.

Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

While I have never seen the sim itself even use 16 gB, whatever else you pile in there can benefit from more and better RAM...

What kinds of add-ons are you using for the 16 GB?

I wouldn't bother with 32GB. I have that much and P3Dv43 eats 2-3GB.. that's all.

Which is why I said `whatever else you pile in there` as he hasn't mentioned addons - I've seen peaks of around 12-13 gigs with `accessorised` sims... and those are managed by me.

What kinds of add-ons are you using for the 16 GB?

Typically? Scenery addons with detailed airports; FTX regions; addon aircraft such as PMDG and Majestic Simulations; and photorealistic addons.

The 64-bit environment can see massive increase in RAM demand, as can poor design.

I'll likely upgrade again in about 4 years.

Eh. That's kinda on the fence then. How much does $150 mean to you? If it's not a big deal, spring for it, especially if you use your sim rig for any other activities like normal gaming, etc. If you'd feel a pinch spending the extra, just wait till next time.

I'm doing fine with 16 gig right now on 4.3 with PMDG planes and addon scenery/weather driving 4 monitors and running all sorts of junk on the side like Navigraph, a web browser for Simbrief, etc. I chose not to go 32 because I know I'll either be piece-meal upgrading it as I go, or if I don't do that it'll get a full upgrade in 3 years or so. If I were planning to keep it 4+ years I might have changed that approach.

Which is why I said `whatever else you pile in there` as he hasn't mentioned addons

Not much addons. Just A2A aircraft and ORBX addons. I do lots of video editing though. Thanks.

Good point: I went to Professional for that very reason.

Thank you all. I decided to go 32 GB because I also run VMware.

Archived