Thread: Looking to Build a new PC: Advice/suggestions would be appreciated

1. Default Looking to Build a new PC: Advice/suggestions would be appreciated

All,

As per the title, I'm looking to put a new PC together where the main function will be to run FSX.

The PC is to replace my fathers current PC, which I put together in December 2009 consisting of:

• CPU: i7 920 do
    • GPU: 5850 1Gb
    • RAM: 12Gb
    • SSD: 256Gb
    • HHD: 1Tb

I'm keen to get this right 'as right as I can', as he was in the RAF for well over 30 years and now struggles to get around. He has a large collection of FSX planes and scenery... so it seems a shame to not put something together to get the best out of them.

In terms of what to get/build, my thoughts are:

• CPU: Intel - i7 9700k / i5 9600k / i7 8700k / i5 8600k ?
    • GPU: RX 580 8GB (I remember reading FSX isn't heavily reliant on the GPU, but I don't it to bottleneck the CPU hence something relatively decent)
    • RAM: 12Gb / 16Gb?
    • SSD: 2 x 1Tb (1 x Windows & 1 x FSX)

Questions:

1. Which CPU would you recommend? I have never overclocked one before, but was reading you can get them up to 5GHz (is it quite noticeable in FSX if I were to do this?)
    2. Also, is now a better time to get an Intel CPU as I saw prices have been high recently - or should I wait 6 months?
    3. What cooler would you suggest?
    4. Would there be much difference if I got 12Gb RAM as opposed to 16Gb?

Thank you in advance,

JC

Get the i7 CPU, and get a nVidia graphics card. 16 GB of RAM is fine, why stop with 12? And get a power supply rated at at least 750 W.

Jorgen

3. Default

-k cpu. For fsx i5 and i7 are equal as fsx can't use the i7's hyperthreading. However, other programs can benefit from hyperthreading.

Nvidia gtx. Best is one that ends in 60, or better, 80. E.g. 980 1080 or 1280.

Cpu speed (overclock) can help with smoothness. (if done right.)
    be carefull, don't blow up the cpu.

Make sure the mainboard you choose can handle overclocking.

Case with plenty of room so parts can breathe. Also with room for plenty case-fans. 3 or 4 large and slow rotating case fans cool everything very well without producing much noise. (my case fans are 14x14 cm and are very quiet.).
    And consider water cooling for the cpu. Very quiet. Great on long flights. (choose a case that that fits into. Water cooling radiators can be quite large! )

4. Default

Please read what I posted here: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...08#post2063308

Especially about the CPU and the GPU. You have that mixed up. FS is a CPU-driven game. Not a GPU-driven game.

If there will be a lot of add-on scenery, read my signature on OOM errors.

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    Why Windows 10 suxx
    FS2004 and FSX are CPU ORIENTATED games. Don't go hog wild on a GPU! Won't matter.
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDenton View Post
    • CPU: Intel - i7 9700k / i5 9600k / i7 8700k / i5 8600k ?
    • GPU: RX 580 8GB (I remember reading FSX isn't heavily reliant on the GPU, but I don't it to bottleneck the CPU hence something relatively decent)
    • RAM: 12Gb / 16Gb?
    • SSD: 2 x 1Tb (1 x Windows & 1 x FSX)
    Clock speed is probably the most important factor for flight sims so Intel is a better bet than AMD. I'd go for an i7-8086k. It's effectively a binned 8700k so you'd be guaranteed good speeds, particularly if you subsequently overclock. Plus, because it has a stock turbo speed of 5GHz you wouldn't really need to overclock it anyway. The 9000 series CPUs are generally more expensive and don't have any significant advantages for sims/gaming.

As for graphics cards, NVIDIA cards seem to be the most popular for flight sims. Also, it depends on your screen resolution. If 1920x1080, then a GTX 1060 will easily be good enough. For QHD, I'd go for a 1070 for good performance. For 4K, I wouldn't consider anything less than a 1080 (or better still, a 1080 ti).

RAM - modern motherboards support dual-channel DDR4 memory which works best as a matched pair so 8Gb (2x4Gb), 16Gb (2x8Gb) and so on. I'd go for 16Gb of at least 3200MHz RAM.

Coolers - I prefer all-in-one liquid coolers (I have a Corsair H110) and I'd go for a 240mm or larger rad. Modern liquid coolers are very reliable so no need to worry about leaks. If you must have an air cooler, the Noctua NH-D15S is well reviewed and almost as efficient as the best liquid coolers. However, it's HUGE and weighs in at almost 1.2kg!

One thing you haven't mentioned, but which is vitally important for a high-end system is a good-quality PSU. Don't scrimp on this component. Go for a well-known brand (EVGA, Corsair, Seasonic etc) and something Gold certified - it's not worth the extra for Platinum or Titanium for the small increase in efficiency they offer. I'd recommend at least a 750W (absolute minimum 650W) unit to give you plenty of overhead.

Finally, get the biggest case you can fit in to give you plenty of internal space, cooling options, airflow and ease of building. I have a Phanteks Entho Pro and haven't got a bad thing to say about it!

6. Default

Also.
    I think those newer processors only work with win10.

On ssd's there is no speed advantage in having fsx on a separate disk. Both fsx and Win on C is just as fast.