FS9 config file limitations

Roger Wensley

Guest Sascha66
Sorry, that is way more scenery than I ever had! I guess a lot of these are the ones you modelled yourself - they must be in the higher hundreds by now ;)

I suffered the same thing a long time ago, I ended up putting all the objects normally just one bgl for the UK into one scenery folder instead of having them in there own folders, same with minor airports and farm strips. Filghtsim then sees them as one scenery and not ten or twenty, just so I new what was the I also placed the readme's in the folder worked a treat

Hope you find this helpful Howard

Web : http://biggles11.wix.com/the-natural-world

Mail : biggles11@btinternet.com

I havn't reached 1307 scenery layers yet but I did notice that above 1000, some of my supporting software began to produce problems, e.g. the FSNav data base creation process. Because of this I also began combining sceneries and especially everything which even looked like LC or mesh scenery (BGLs only), which are now all in one big folder with a low priority.

Hans

Flight Simulator itself can handle more than 1307. I have more than 1368 but I am sure others can top my total because mine is (mostly) only a classic-era setup.

The only issue is editing the list through FS's internal system, because it doesn't handle layers of more than three digits properly - hence the appearance that it only handles 999.

FS Navigator works fne with over 999 entries, by the way. Far from combining mine, I often spread them out to take landclass out of scenery's main file structure when they are wrongly supplied like that. FS Navigator does have some issues with the way it builds its database, scanning only the first file it thinks is an AFD (an issue with the scenery developer, not FSN) in each layer, so I sometimes move the AFD files elsewhere too.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

... FS Navigator does have some issues with the way it builds its database, scanning only the first file it thinks is an AFD (an issue with the scenery developer, not FSN) in each layer, so I sometimes move the AFD files elsewhere too.

John

Thanks John, very useful (and new to me)!

I solved it in a simple way. When previously setting up a new installation of FS9 I put all Ontario airfields into one OntarioFields/scenery folder, and all BC airfields into a BCfields/scenery folder etc. This greatly shortened library loading. Then new sceneries were loaded into individual folders as I made them, until 1,307 came along. Solved by loading all new Nunavut sceneries into the one Nunavut folder etc etc.

Archived