F-104 Starfighter ?

GBJim

I'm looking for a new toy, and I would like it to be a FREEware F-104 Starfighter. Maybe my fellow simmers here can recommend one ? I have one now, but it's kind of plain, and lacking in performance.

Any recommendations for a new freeware F-104 Starfighter in FSX will be greatly appreciated. Just tell me where it's located ?

Thank you - Jim

Sf.jpg

Happiness is FSX Steam and Windows 7 . :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey! Why do you want to fly that plane. I has a much bad reputation, at least among NATO members. In Germany, at the time, for example, they lost 292 to 916 planes, killing 119!!! :pilot:
Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Hey! Why do you want to fly that plane. I has a much bad reputation, at least among NATO members. In Germany, at the time, for example, they lost 292 to 916 planes, killing 119!!! :pilot:

No problem for the World Famous Ace. :pilot:

Jim - I think all the leads that I emailed you are going to turn out to be duds! This is an older aircraft, not very popular among the flight sim communities, it appears. I think if you want a quality download, you will probably have to go the payware route! I know you like classic older aircraft, but I think there are better fighter jets out there! I'm not in to them myself, so I can't recommend any. Just, what i sense reading some of these articles on the F104. Gerard touched on what the reputation of the F104 is, and I read the same in other articles and I will leave it at that!

Good luck on your search! Rick :cool:

Thank you guys, I think that you are all right in all respects. I have some beautiful flying jets, and really don't need another one. It was just an idea to try a new toy. Jan's download did fly very well, but lacked a lot of other stuff that failed to load. Plus, it was a little crude, I think FS 2004.

Let's all forget about it and go on to something better. - Jim

jan 1.jpg

Jan's download did fly good but was incomplete. End of story.

Crude. Yes and even the fsxj-29b.zip is mostly a FS2004 barely upgraded to FSX. Not too much time to have tested it thoroughly at this time!
Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Big Jim and all,

try here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/106771-Simskunkworks-Freeware-Zipper-(F-104S)-v2-6

Scroll down to post #13 by harrybassett and click on the download link(s). I'm trying out the first link now.

Yeah, Charlie, I found that one earlier, and sent Jim an email, the download looked a little hokey at best! There just doesn't seem to be anything out there freeware, other than repaints!

I wish him well in his search, but it sounds like he has decided to move on to something else. If he changes his mind, he should consider the payware that is still available, as I didn't see much else to "write home about!"

Rick :cool:

These look fine to me! Not a ctrl+e start but I used my XF-92 as the starting aircraft and switched over. Plenty of getty-up and go! The download was an auto-installer and I just did it the old fashioned way and created my own folder. These are freeware samples of SimSkunkworks payware.

F-104.JPG

F104.JPG

cockpit.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

PAH ! ! ! Hogwash ! ! !

Not that quick young pilot! :):) I've tuned the aircraft.cfg of the Tunnan with that

[flight_tuning]

cruise_lift_scalar = 1.0

parasite_drag_scalar = 1.0

induced_drag_scalar = 1.0

elevator_effectiveness = 1.859

aileron_effectiveness = 1.658

rudder_effectiveness = 1.345

pitch_stability = 4.28

roll_stability = 3.527

yaw_stability = 2.0

elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.9

aileron_trim_effectiveness = 1.9

rudder_trim_effectiveness = 1.5

hi_alpha_on_roll = 1.0

hi_alpha_on_yaw = 1.0

and it's not that bad to fly! On the other hand, I'm not that much into vintage jet warplanes, but I think the Tunnan is worth the interest! :pilot: Something to dig in

tunn1.jpg

tunn2.jpg

OK my old friend .... I will give it a try. Stay tuned. :pilot:

Jim - I don't know about this! You have such a nice assortment of fighter jets, and to give this Tunnan a go, I don't know. I hope it's capable of washing windows and taking out the garbage, save your nice planes for special flights! But hey, who knows until you try, right "young pilot?" :rolleyes:

I will be patiently awaiting the results of your test flight! Enjoy, be careful!

Rick :cool:

Well, here are the long awaited results by the world famous young test pilot. - It fly's OK, but it looks like a very pregnant cow, and I can't afford to give it any expensive hanger space. Sorry !

cow 1.jpg

Ugh !

m2.jpg

Yes Rick, you are right. :)

GBJim, Test Pilot Extraordinary. youmightbearedneck.jpg

It fly's OK,

At least we agree with that :):) But, like said, on the other hand, I'm not that much vintage jet warplanes. So personally, I like well that little 'tunnan' ('barrel') and I've seen fine videos of it! Likely will post some more with that plane

"Young Pilot" -I like your pic in post #22. This guy at first glance looks like he is lacking, but, when you take a harder look, he has got his "act together!" Look at all he is doing and he doesn't even have to get up to get things done! AND........................ he gets his tanning done in the process!

What a guy! Rick:cool:

Archived