Graphics Card Error Popup

ColR1948

Had FSX running perfect for ages with the setup I have, then all of a sudden this popup came on the screen.

My graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce GTX1050 Ti which displays other things no problem and has displayed FSX no problem till now.

Any Ideas please?

display.jpg

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Col,

I was going to suggest bios to check you have not enabled iGPU or somesuch, but Mr Zippy has a much better recommendation "iDisplay" a software update sounds much more likely since your setup clearly complies with FSX graphics requirements.

I've made the mistake once before allowing MS to replace my Graphics driver with WDDM and had some unforseen issues, it is the first time I've heard of the iDisplay AG WDDM v1.1 driver update but there's a first for everything.

Discovering which driver you may be running or which may now be conflicting with the recent reinstall may be misdirecting you. It won't show in device manager because (AG iDisplay Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) is a driver update or updater for WDDMv1.1 installed by a third party driver update Program or by MS Update, they "MS & Win10" do tend to force their WDDM graphics drivers onto the unsuspecting. (WDDM are really only good for office desktops and laptops that have not been updated within the normal update cycle. Where gaming graphics is concerned they fail miserably)

Even though you have reinstalled your Nvidia driver there could be some lingering components of the WDDMv1.1 driver affecting your recent reinstallation. Not unusual to find conflicting driver components requiring a clean fresh graphics driver install.

If you are looking for it try the list of recent MS updates on your system, you may need to uninstall it and immediately (clean fresh) install your preferred version Nvidia drivers. Also check your installed Programs list it might be listed there.

btw - system restore often won't reinstate your original Video drivers, sometimes even Win10 will want to immediately replace the drivers with the same problematic one, you must over-ride this situation.

I looked in the fsx.cfg and a different display was showing, so I changed it to my display and restarted FSX but still the error popped up.

Funny you mentioned Windows update, I did an update earlier this morning for Windows 7, this could be the problem.

I can't check now because one of my grandkids is staying the night and he's watching videos on the PC, I'm on my laptop at the moment lol.

Col.

Hi Col,

Try this.....

Make a backup copy of the current FSX.cfg file and then delete the current .cfg file. Start FSX - it build a new one and will hopefully sort out the problem. If the new one works OK you can cross reference the new .cfg with the backup to re-instate any tweaks AND look to see if you can see any entry(ies) that may have caused the issue.

If a new .cfg doesn't work then another possible solution would be to disable the GTX in device manger and then see if FSX will run just using the inbuilt Intel GPU. If it runs on the Intel, you can then look at possibly completely uninstalling the GTX in device manger, rebooting and letting windows find it again.

Regards

Brian

I forgot, I did a restart to get back to the screen, then tried starting FSX with the GTX disabled, then the message popped up again.

double checked the FSX.cfg and it does say my display device is Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 ti

Also checked the FS9 cfg that that too says the display device is GTX.

mallcott, forgive my ignorance but what is RMI ?

I forgot, I did a restart to get back to the screen, then tried starting FSX with the GTX disabled, then the message popped up again.

double checked the FSX.cfg and it does say my display device is Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 ti

Also checked the FS9 cfg that that too says the display device is GTX.

mallcott, forgive my ignorance but what is RMI ?

Repair, Maintenance and Improvement: A standard aviation (and computing) expression...

Either the card has gone faulty or the power supply has failed. The failure of the GTX 1050i to appear in your hardware settings indicates NOT a FSX (or FS2004 or any simulator) failure.

You could check your power supply and power connectors.

Hi Col,

Just wondering if this is related to a Shaders cache issue. The Shader folder(s) store files which contain instructions and codes that are frequently accessed by FSX and the contents of the cache is updated each time FSX is run. However, this can occasionally cause issues, especially when settings of fsx.CFG are changed or system is toggled between DX9 and DX10, etc.

Your FSX.cfg should have entries relating to Shaders - they are found under the [GRAPHICS] section should look something like these examples:

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693500672

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693500672

PRIMED= is for DX9 mode and PRIMED_10= is for DX10 mode. The numbers after the = sign is based on the selected FSX settings and configuration and therefore will/may be different.

You may also see an entry like this one - D3D10=0 - this is a reference to whether you are using DX10, a 0 indicates you currently have DX10 turned off whilst a 1 will indicate that DX10 is enabled.

A solution may be to delete the contents of the Shaders folder(s) - FSX will rebuild the contents when it is next run. Note that there are a number of folders called Shaders associated with FSX and the one(s) that we are interested in are located at C:\Users\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX - here you will find a folder called Shaders and you may also find a second folder called Shaders10 - and each folder will have a number of subfolders.

Simply delete either the contents of the subfolders or the subfolders themselves - leave the main Shaders/Shaders10 folders present

As always I suggest you make backups BEFORE taking any action by making copies of the Shaders and Shaders10 folders.

Regards

Brian

Hi Col,

What might your Dxdiag diagnostic tool, be saying about enabled Graphics components (Graphics tab). These should all show "Enabled" for both 32bit and 64bit Dxdiag

DirectDraw Acceleration:

Direct3D Acceleration:

AGP Texture Acceleration:

It may show DX11 or DX12, this is fine because that is the API capability that your graphics card/OS can run, but FSX runs in DX9c or DX10 mode, you may need to run the Directx End User Runtime updater for DX9c Runtime components. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Just trying to help

Cheers Jethro

Hi Col,

Your Dxdiag Graphics panel looks as it should, (no problems there)! The reported total memory seems odd for a 4Gig card (mine a GTX770 4Gb (4096) shows 4095 with 1 Mb shared.

I know this must be a very frustrating problem, please don't arbitrarily change things in your system with (Repair).

I've been researching any bing Google search for the wording in your error message, the consensus is that the problem is not FSX issue, but is pointing to a conflicted or incompatable driver (mixture of driver components that don't play nicely together), so don't mess with repair at this point also don't use the OS repair at this point either.

Have you considered using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to completely remove any and all driver components wherever they may reside on your system, and then install the Display driver version that came on installation disk shipped with your GTX1050Ti graphics card. When doing so it would be advisable to run the Nvidia installer (As Administrator) giving full admin permissions to components being installed.

DDU will remove all driver components conflicting or otherwise, leaving you with an opportunity to install an un-conflicted driver version, DDU needs to be run in "Safe Mode" after reboot into safe mode. Please read the instructions (Usage Tutorial) before running DDU so that you can select the right options. Make sure you are ready with your Disk version Nvidia driver when DDU has completed, restart/reboot your system then install the fresh driver.

With win 10 you should disconnect the internet connection so that win10 Win Update does not try to install a new driver automatically on restart. For Win7 & 8.1 temporarily disable MS update to never check for updates" it would be advisable also when resetting this option to use the Check but choose so that you can avoid installing bad drivers in future, (*** Vet all Win Updates and drivers before installing ***) especially WDDM Graphics drivers.

DDU usage tutorial: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/ddu-guide-tutorial

DDU download v18.0.0.3: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1288

Cheers Jethro

Thanks again jethrom & Brian above, I tried both methods but still the error popped up.

Just as a side issue, when I start FS9 that starts OK and the cfg for that says I have the GTX, also it may be my imagination but the graphics seem slightly better as well.

All my other programs are OK graphic wise, so the problem to my mind lies somewhere with FSX.

I'm dreading having to re-install it again, that will be my last resort.

Col.

So sorry to read that Col, unfortunately I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for any new ideas that may help you, short of FSX reinstallation, best of luck if you go that route.

Switch off UAC (User Account Control) while reinstalling and activating FSX or AccPack.

Please be sure to install FSX outside the OS protected folders ie; C:\FSX (Do not install to Program Files or Program Files (x86)) Full Admin Permissions are important where once upon a time WinXP had no difficulty with FSX installations to the Default Folder location/s, but with the arrival of OS's with Protected Folders there will always be some permissions element getting in the way (where unsolvable glitches may occur). If you have an alternate internal Drive ie; G:\FSX with plenty of space to add scenery and aircraft addons, that you might dedicate for use with FSX, may I suggest that as a best possible scenario for reinstall.

Kind Regards Jethro

I may or may not have found something, I had a power pack failure not long ago and put a new power pack in.

I re-connected everything but I just noticed something on my ASUS Strix Graphics Card.

I connected it with the 6 pin plug from the power pack but I noticed an other connector, a 4 pin but I haven't anything from the motherboard or power pack to connect to it, it may not need anything but I want to make sure.

I looked online but drew a blank so far, I have put a couple of pics to show what I mean, someone else may have the same card.

Col

6 pin.JPG

4 pin.JPG

If you look at the links below your post theres one from Adamk99 - he solved his issue by updating his drivers from nvidia. Do you use Nvidia experience? That updates them automatically for you. I am currently on 416.34 with a GTX960. Good luck

Just after posting just updated to 416.81

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Well that's pretty significant Col, wish we knew you had messed with the GC power coupling and had recently replaced your PSU.

Your ASUS Strix GTX1050Ti requires 1 x 6pin power coupling connected from the Power supply PCI connection to that block shown in the first picture to perform at its peak performance. It also requires that the GC is installed in the fastest PCIe 16 slot which is usually the one closest to the CPU.

There may also be a 4 pin block but these are usually connected somewhere on the motherboard or may be used in conjunction with a loopback pair to make a 6 pin connector. My graphics card has 2 power block connectors (2 x 8pin) the first cable is an 8pin block the next is a 6 +2 pinto make an 8pin loopback, both are required for the graphics card to perform the higher graphics functions.

Please consult your motherboard manual, ASUS Strix GTX1050Ti manual, and even the new power supply manual, as these will indicate what gets connected and where.

If your power supply is a modular unit it will likely have additional power cables for use with additional components such as Graphics cards so look in the PSU packing box for a suitable cable with the right 6 pin connector. If your Power supply is not fully modular then the cabling coming from the unit may not have the required cable or socket this can be remedied by making use of the Molex adaptor/connector cable that came with the Graphics card.

EDIT: It seems that the flat 4pin connection shown in your second picture is a 4 pin GPU controlled fan header.

Quote from ASUS product pages (ASUS FanConnect features 4-pin GPU-controlled header connected to system fans for optimal cooling.) or it could be the RGB LED synchronisation connection https://www.asus.com/au/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1050TI-O4G-GAMING/overview/ consult your Graphics card manual for its actual use.

Cheers Jethro

Archived