Help With FS9 Performance

sdlangford

I have recently installed FS9 onto a new W10 Pro machine, running as i expected it to.

However on W7 i had FSP of 40-60 and now on W10 i am getting 25-30 max.

I know every PC is different, but i had hoped my new rig would breeze through FS9 giving me some nic high FPS.

Spec of rig is;

W10 Pro

I5 7400 3.00Ghz

8GB RAM

Geoforce GTX 1050 TI

I have everything set in FS9 to max, but even when i drop the slidders the FPS stay the same, which make me think something in the system is restricting FS9.

Any help appreciated.

Simon

How did the FS9 setup go with Windows 10? No problems? Eventually, and inevitably, I will be going there too so reassurance or warnings are welcome.

1- Run as Admin. and in compatibility mode: Win XP SP3

2- With Nvidia graphic cards, use Nvidia inspector and in 1-COMPATIBILITY - Antialising compatibility, select 0x004412C1 (Diablo III). If not selected, Antialiasing adjustments don't work.

I have the following (see my PC specs. at the end):

3-ANTIALIASING:

AA behavior flags: None

AA- Mode: Override any application setting

AA- Setting: 16xS [Combined: 2x2 SS + 4x MS]

AA- Transparency Supersampling: 8x Sparse Grid Supersampling

4-TEXTURE FILTERING

Aniso. filtering Mode: User-defined / Off

Aniso. filtering setting: 16x

MY PC:

I7 @ 4.2 GHz

Nvidia 1080GTX

32 GB memory

Hi I haven't done or had a lot of feedback from win 10 users, (simmers don't seem to realize the importance of constructive feedback). FS9 has a lot of limitations built into it, I have a document on my web site on how to get FS9 set up on a modern PC.

I am just working on a revised copy for the new 2019 edition of The Natural World Scenery you can email me for the latest or uses the copy on my web site.

Web : http://biggles11.wix.com/the-natural-world

Mail : biggles11@btinternet.com

Regards Howard

How did the FS9 setup go with Windows 10? No problems? Eventually, and inevitably, I will be going there too so reassurance or warnings are welcome.

Roger, FS2004 works perfectly with FS2004, as long as the install is in C;\ & is run in XP Compatibility mode & as Administrator. No issues whatsoever, & to me, it seems to run slightly smoother.

I'm using an Acer i5 4GB RAM laptop!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

W10 Pro

I5 7400 3.00Ghz

8GB RAM

Geoforce GTX 1050 TI

You should be able to do better, Simon: my laptop is slightly less powerful (i5 7200U with TurboBoost disabled, 6 GB RAM, GeForce 940MX) and I can keep smooth performance at JFK, using the iFly 747v2 VC (I think this is the heaviest plane for FS9). I don't have FS9 running as admin, but I have it marked as Large Address Aware.

Regarding Nvidia Inspector, this is how I've set it up:

- AA compatibility mode: 0x004412C1 (Diablo III)

- AA behavior flags: None

- AA Mode: Override any application setting

- AA Setting: 8xS [Combined: 1x2 SS + 4x MS]

- AA Transparency Supersampling: I have it off. This may give you back some FPS

- AF Mode: User defined/Off

- AF Setting: 16x

- Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp

- Texture filtering - Quality: High Quality

With that, AA turned off in FS9, and borderless windowed mode, I'm getting steady 30 FPS. You can start with this setup, and work from there. Please don't abuse with addon airports, they can degrade your performance, even if they look harmless. Check the performance effect for each one when installing.

I suggest you to read the NickN bible. It may be written for FSX, but except for some specific FSX settings, all other principles can apply for FS9. You can find it here:

https://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

Best regards,

Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help, all the suggestions were exactly what I already have on my system.

I have tried to overclock the Graphics Card, but makes no difference.

I drop all the sliders to the left (down) and nothing changes.

As I said I was getting 40-50 FPS in W7 so i'm really annoyed that my new rig is performing worse yet it is set up the same.

I cannot overclock the CPU with the motherboard (ASUS) I have, which may be my error when buying the rig.

So not really sure what the issue is.

Simon

I think I have solved this issue....

New Rig 3.0 Ghz - cannot be over clocked (gggggrrrr my error)

Old Rig 2.80 Ghz - over clocked to 3.81 Ghz

So maybe I need a faster cpu as my motherboard does not allow over clocking - 4.2 Ghz ?

Do you think my conclusion is correct ?

Simon

Archived