Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I have a confession to make

1. Wink I have a confession to make

I'm 38 years old and I have not seen the movie Top Gun. I have seen Days Of Thunder though. HAHAHA Actually watched that movie when I was 10 or 11 at the outdoor in Riverside, California.

So am I missing anything? I saw the movie Hot Shoots and it mimics Top Gun in a lot of ways I guess.

I only mention this because as I was flying I play music on Pandora and Highway To The Danger Zone came on. Was interesting as I was making my descent into Adak, Alaska.

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    Why Windows 10 suxx
    FS2004 and FSX are CPU ORIENTATED games. Don't go hog wild on a GPU! Won't matter.
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRJ_simpilot View Post
    I'm 38 years old and I have not seen the movie Top Gun. I have seen Days Of Thunder though. HAHAHA Actually watched that movie when I was 10 or 11 at the outdoor in Riverside, California.

So am I missing anything? I saw the movie Hot Shoots and it mimics Top Gun in a lot of ways I guess.

I only mention this because as I was flying I play music on Pandora and Highway To The Danger Zone came on. Was interesting as I was making my descent into Adak, Alaska.
    Hah - been to Adak several times - Bald Eagles are like crows up there - they’re everywhere - pretty barren island though - kind of cool in a way...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw Top Gun, the first time, shortly after it came out, at the Base Theater at MCAS Iwakuni. I was on a date after I flashed the Staff Duty NCO (a female. A WM, or Woman Marine), using the trenchcoat I mugged McGruff the Crime Dog for. Fun times at Iwakuni!
    I still have Top Gun on a video tape. Yes, a VHS video tape. One day, I'm going to get it transferred to a CD. I don't know HOW many times my kids made me throw the tape in for them, but I pretty much have the entire dialog memorized. Tell you anything?

As to the movie: The flying scenes aren't bad. Unfortunately, the ACM scenes are almost entirely in only 2 axes. Almost no vertical maneuvers. Too hard to film all 3 axes, I understand.
    Apparently, Tom Cruise wasn't the greatest passenger they'd ever had in the Tomcat, either. I understand he went through a LOT of bags. Spent some of the combat scenes sound asleep, too. Not because he wanted to, but because his assigned pilot was a major joker, and got a big giggle from putting him sound asleep there in the back seat. Annoyed the director no end, too. Hard to get a good shot of "the star" when he's sound out, in total GLOC!
    Or when he has his face in a barf-bag, of course

The one scene that really offended me the most, though, was the ejection scene. Not because it wasn't realistic, mostly, but watching the parachutist throw the pilot chute out with his hand really bugged me. Ejection seats are totally and completely automatic, once the handles are pulled. After that, the occupant can be totally disabled, unconscious, whatever, but the seat will do everything necessary to get them down to the ground in relative safety. No throwing pilot chutes out! Even if the flyer decides he wants to manually deploy the main chute, they pull a rip-cord, the handle for which is located on their right upper chest area. No throwing a friggen pilot chute! And Goose, who it supposedly was, was dead after hitting the canopy rail. No way for him to throw a pilot chute out manually, even if he wanted to.
    Really annoyed me. I had some friends in Seat shop who actually got up and walked out after that scene...

Of course, the non-flying scenes are what they are. For airplane fans, and/or pilots, they are pretty much filler between the flight scenes. There is a lot of male homosexual innuendo in them, too. I didn't even notice it, until I saw some comedy takes about Top Gun on the Net. Like in the bar scene: You must have sex, with a lady this time, on the premises." Who did he have it with last time???
    And I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. You'd think I'd notice. I guess I just didn't pay much attention to the non-flight scenes.

There's my take on it all, anyway.
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hah - been to Adak several times - Bald Eagles are like crows up there - they’re everywhere - pretty barren island though - kind of cool in a way...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cool! I read about it at that Wikipedia article, and I lived in a very, VERY small town in North Dakota about 30 miles South of the Canadian border and I was like, " Adak is even worse than North Dakota!" LOL

I read the drinking water has lead, and there's very little there in terms of modern convenience. I wouldn't mind visiting, but living there would be out of the question. Especially with the harsh weather. I read they can get upwards of 120 MPH winds!

Pretty cool that there's bald eagles there and yet here in Colorado we also have bald eagles. Amazing how they have migrated. We don't have that many, but you'll find them occasionally.

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Why Windows 10 suxx
    FS2004 and FSX are CPU ORIENTATED games. Don't go hog wild on a GPU! Won't matter.
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    I saw Top Gun, the first time, shortly after it came out, at the Base Theater at MCAS Iwakuni. I was on a date after I flashed the Staff Duty NCO (a female. A WM, or Woman Marine), using the trenchcoat I mugged McGruff the Crime Dog for. Fun times at Iwakuni!
    I still have Top Gun on a video tape. Yes, a VHS video tape. One day, I'm going to get it transferred to a CD. I don't know HOW many times my kids made me throw the tape in for them, but I pretty much have the entire dialog memorized. Tell you anything?

As to the movie: The flying scenes aren't bad. Unfortunately, the ACM scenes are almost entirely in only 2 axes. Almost no vertical maneuvers. Too hard to film all 3 axes, I understand.
    Apparently, Tom Cruise wasn't the greatest passenger they'd ever had in the Tomcat, either. I understand he went through a LOT of bags. Spent some of the combat scenes sound asleep, too. Not because he wanted to, but because his assigned pilot was a major joker, and got a big giggle from putting him sound asleep there in the back seat. Annoyed the director no end, too. Hard to get a good shot of "the star" when he's sound out, in total GLOC!
    Or when he has his face in a barf-bag, of course

The one scene that really offended me the most, though, was the ejection scene. Not because it wasn't realistic, mostly, but watching the parachutist throw the pilot chute out with his hand really bugged me. Ejection seats are totally and completely automatic, once the handles are pulled. After that, the occupant can be totally disabled, unconscious, whatever, but the seat will do everything necessary to get them down to the ground in relative safety. No throwing pilot chutes out! Even if the flyer decides he wants to manually deploy the main chute, they pull a rip-cord, the handle for which is located on their right upper chest area. No throwing a friggen pilot chute! And Goose, who it supposedly was, was dead after hitting the canopy rail. No way for him to throw a pilot chute out manually, even if he wanted to.
    Really annoyed me. I had some friends in Seat shop who actually got up and walked out after that scene...

Of course, the non-flying scenes are what they are. For airplane fans, and/or pilots, they are pretty much filler between the flight scenes. There is a lot of male homosexual innuendo in them, too. I didn't even notice it, until I saw some comedy takes about Top Gun on the Net. Like in the bar scene: You must have sex, with a lady this time, on the premises." Who did he have it with last time???
    And I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. You'd think I'd notice. I guess I just didn't pay much attention to the non-flight scenes.

There's my take on it all, anyway.
    Pat☺
    So are they in a war or something, or was it all just training pilot scenes?

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Why Windows 10 suxx

Top Gun is one of those 'classic' flight movies what any fly-boy has watched many times.
    Have a look at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gun

Basically (an extract)
    United States Naval Aviator LT Pete "Maverick" Mitchell and his Radar Intercept Officer LTJG Nick "Goose" Bradshaw fly the F-14A Tomcat aboard USS Enterprise (CVN-65). During an interception with two hostile MiG-28 aircraft (portrayed by a Northrop F-5), Maverick gets missile lock on one, while the other hostile aircraft locks onto Maverick's wingman, Cougar. While Maverick drives off the remaining MiG-28, Cougar is too shaken to land, and Maverick, defying orders, shepherds him back to the carrier. Cougar gives up his wings, citing his newborn child that he has never seen. Despite his dislike for Maverick's recklessness, CAG "Stinger" sends him and Goose to attend Topgun[6], the Naval Fighter Weapons School at Naval Air Station Miramar.

Also, look at http://www.fast-rewind.com/making_topgun.htm
    for some behind the scenes info.

Best way to find out is to watch it!

The sequel is coming out July 2020, so you have about a year and half to catch up. :-)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1745960/

Well, in the first flight scene, they get threatened by a pair of "MiGs" (actually, F5s). Cougar goes into panic mode and turns in his wings, opening it up for Maveric to be able to go to Top Gun.

While actually AT Top Gun school, they do nothing but training, with a good deal of book learning thrown in. Not to mention some party time.

After graduation, they get assigned to the Fleet, normally one Pilot/RIO pair to a squadron. The theory is that they can pass on what they learned in Top Gun to the other pilot/Rio pairs in their squadron. Something pretty much ignored in the movie is that the RIO is just as important as the pilot. Especially in combat. But even just normal tasks, the RIO and pilot must function as a single unit.
    From what some RIOs I had to train on the F-4 radar system told me, most...a lot anyway...of the Air Force pilots assigned to the F-4 never "got" that, treating the RIO (Wizzo, in the Air Force parlance) as ballast. They were of the firm opinion that a "real" fighter pilot doesn't need any help. There are actual cases where the Wizzo was told to strap in and shut up. The pilots would make the Wizzo boresight the radar, and leave it there. The pilot would do everything all by himself, as thought he Wizzo didn't exist. A stupid, hyper-macho, way to do things and a colossal waste of the radar's capabilities. When it worked, anyway. The earlier versions of the AN/AWG-10 radar, that takes up all the space in that Jimmi Duante nose the Phantom has, were very unreliable. The radar system in the F-14 is a lot more complex than the Phantom radar, making the RIO even more critical to the successful functioning of the aircraft. In AND out of combat.
    Thankfully, the Navy/Marine Corps never developed that ridiculous attitude. The Rio was treated as integral part of the team, and a critically necessary part of the whole plane, just as the pilot is. This whole situation was largely disregarded in Top Gun, with Goose primarily there as comic relief.
    Oh well...

In the final scenes, Maveric, who lost Goose in a training accident at Top Gun, has totally lost his self-confidence. When Iceman and Slider, as well as another pair, get jumped, Maveric is launched to assist. Iceman's wingie get's shot down (naturally), and he has to try and play keep-away in a 1V5 ACM. Maveric starts to go into the combat, but pulls out in fear. Of course, the ship's cats are broken, so it's Maveric and Ice (who, up to now, have a strong dislike of one another) or nothing. Maveric magically regains his confidence, and returns to save Iceman. They may not like each other personally, but whose side are they on, after all? He shoots several enemy planes down, with Iceman getting one or two.

So, not in a a shooting war, no, and not ONLY in training, but there are enemies attacking, and they do spend a lot of time in training. A mix of the two.

Does that answer the question?
    Pat☺
    Last edited by PhantomTweak; 11-07-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

9. Default

I thought the best job of documenting carrier operations was some of the footage involving the flight deck crews. No one can fully appreciate what coordination there is in launching, recovering, spotting or servicing an airwing until you have been part of it. There is some great footage of cat officers, hookup men, holdback men, QA checkers, directors and deck edge operators in action. of course today, there are many women doing the same thing.

I enjoyed one shot of what is apparently the arresting gear Chief giving a very pronounced "tug" signal and a kind of NFL touchdown dance - I believe a plane had just pulled out a purchase cable that had probably just been re-reeved. He would have been very happy that a very big piece of maintenance had worked as advertised.

The only glaring technical error (other than the somewhat absurd dramatics in the script) I noticed was a cat officer giving a "hang fire" signal during a launch sequence - no suspend signal, no power back signal - just launch 'em anyway!
    Last edited by mikeandpatty; 11-07-2018 at 03:01 PM.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    Best way to find out is to watch it!

The sequel is coming out July 2020, so you have about a year and half to catch up. :-)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1745960/

Well how be damned. LOL

Thanks PhantomTweak for the explanation. Now what does RIO stand for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTizYn3-QN0

Edit-

Ah! Reading the Wikipedia article zswobbie1 provided, I see it stands for Radar Intercept Officer. But do they have a 'cherry ice cream smile?' LMAO
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 11-07-2018 at 10:19 PM.

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Why Windows 10 suxx

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast