Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I have a confession to make

1. Default

I find it interesting Cruise had to use a barf bag. I saw many years ago on one of those Hollywood snoop shows (could have been Extra) that Tom Cruise owns at least one or more P-51's and routinely flys. (Or is it flies? "I'm not a very smart man.")

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    Why Windows 10 suxx
    FS2004 and FSX are CPU ORIENTATED games. Don't go hog wild on a GPU! Won't matter.
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

There's a big difference doing aerobatics in a plane holding the stick, and sitting in the back seat, with only radar controls to use, and being told not to touch.

Check out the story Cruise tells in THIS ARTICLE. He even admits he puked his guts out in a Blue Angel plane.
    Essentially, when he bent down to grab "the bag" on the floor, his pilot, callsign Bozo started pulling G.He kept pulling for a long time, pinning Cruise face down, his nose buried in "the bag". When Cruise asked him what the HECK he was doing the pilot replied "They don't call me Bozo for nothing! "

Not a story that they wanted circulated too early. It might ruin Maveric's rep!
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

3. Default

LOL!

Man, the editors of that website need to edit... I mean, I'm not the best when it comes to writing ability, but gesh. At least I make an effort. LOL

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Why Windows 10 suxx
    FS2004 and FSX are CPU ORIENTATED games. Don't go hog wild on a GPU! Won't matter.
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Nope, you're not missing anything. It's a fairly rubbish film. It bears about as much resemblance to reality as Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Having said that, if you like laughing at films which are comedically unintentionally homo-erotic, then it's good for a laugh in that regard, and if that doesn't give you a laugh, then it admittedly does have some nice shots of F-14s whizzing around.

With regard to the 'are they at war?' question: Nope, there is a cardboard cut-out nondescript fictional middle-eastern enemy nation doing a bit of posturing and so there are a few skirmishes when they get too near to the Carrier. As far as realism and fleshing out the 'enemy' is concerned, if I said Team America actually does a better job of that, it'll give you some idea of what a load of flag-waving nonsense Top Gun is.

Moreover, given that the F-14 at that time it was still deployed as a CAP interceptor, it was equipped with the AIM-54 Phoenix missile, which could take out multiple targets from over 100 miles away, this makes the dogfighting sequences fairly laughable as a concept. Not least because the enemy 'MiG 28s' (portrayed by Northrop F-5s), might not have been able to carry the AIM-54 Phoenix, but if an F-5 (meant to basically be a MiG 29) could get in close enough for a turning dogfight, it'd be all over an F-14 like a cheap suit since the MiG 29 at the time was equipped with a helmet-mounted sight which made off-boresight missile locks possible to the extent that it proved superior to the F-16 when this was tested by the Luftwaffe in dissimilar combat scenrios between the two types. And so it's not just me who says that, and Chuck Yeager said it too incidentally, and he ought to know given that he shot down five enemy fighter on one mission once and shot down a Me 262 in his P-51 amongst other things, so he was no slouch at air combat.

A far better movie concerning carrier jet combat operations is Flight of the Intruder. That one is worth watching. The scenes where they have SAMs launching against them are particularly well done, as are the bombing run sequences. It's not entirely realistic, some things are tweaked a bit to make it more cinematic, but since this is aimed at making it dramatically more enjoyable, these are quite forgivable. The way the storyline is tied into real political events surrounding the Vietnam War, ones which actually happened, is very cleverly done. The acting is vastly better than in Top Gun too, as is the dialogue. The book from which the screenplay was written is worth a read too incidentally and is very similar in most respects.
    Last edited by Chock; 11-08-2018 at 06:18 AM.

Those that expected Top Gun to mirror reality are clearly mistaken.
    It was made purely for entertainment, & did not & was not meant to mirror real-time events at all.

Of course certain places & people within the movie was based of the real thing, and, as the movie was the highest grossing movie of 1986, it could not have been too bad indeed. A lot of kids also joined the Air Force because of the movie.

Pure escapism at it's best (in 1986)

6. Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Chock View Post
    It's a fairly rubbish film.
    https://youtu.be/chEOA-uFnxM?t=155

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Why Windows 10 suxx

A lot of kids also joined the Air Force because of the movie.
    Even moreso, the US Navy. The Navy claimed, true or not, that the movie kicked recruitment up 500%, or something like that.
    The Navy did retain absolute script approval rights, and they kept control of the Carrier and all the planes. Not counting Art Scholl and his Super-Chipmonk used for filming a lot of the flying stuff. At least up until he was killed doing a flat spin. On purpose, so his on-board camera could get the maneuver on film. Crashed into the Pacific, and the plane, and Art's body, were never found. That's where they got the idea for Goose's death scene. It was supposed to be due to a mid-air between two of the planes, but after Art's accident, they changed it in memory of him.
    The cast and crew were permitted along as long as they didn't interfere with the Navy's ops. Of course, all the on-shore scenes were not Navy, much, other than the flight-line stuff. The Navy still kept script approval rights, but the filming and locations, stuff like that, were up to the production company.
    I understand that their actual time on-shore in San Diego was an on-going party. Slider even claimed, during an interview, that after the day's filming was done, they'd pile into Iceman's personal van, which he claimed to have lost his virginity, and would go down to Tijuana. Party all night, get back in time for morning call.
    They did keep Kilmer and Cruise separate the entire filming, though. Never in the same place at the same time, other than actual filming. It kept their alleged dislike for one another, or rivalry, I guess, more believable.
    The locker room scene was because the producers required skin. Mainly Cruise's skin. Same with the Volleyball scenes. The producers figured they were paying so much to get him, they wanted to see skin.
    Some of the toughest stuff they had to film, from the director's standpoint, were actually getting Kelly McGillis and Cruise's scenes. She's TALL and he's a short little guy. Made getting the two together a director's nightmare
    And keeping Bozo under control. He made Maveric look like a complete rule follower! He's the type who goes out and draws "cowboy hats" in the sky with his plane. Ahem...

There were a few actors, too, who wouldn't take parts in the movie. Too militaristic. Go figure...

Have fun, all!
    Pat☺
    Last edited by PhantomTweak; 11-08-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    ...Maveric...

Have fun, all!
    Pat☺
    Minor point, but Cruise's call sign was Maverick.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    There's my take on it all, anyway.
    Pat☺
    No love lost on my part for the movie, either. Very unrealistic in many ways, cheesy in most of the others.

"Gonna do the damage til the damage is done."
    -- Queens of the Stone Age

10. Default

Top Gun cast then and now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV12G_MZaEg
    Mark Daniels

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast