PC power Supply idea.

Recently my power supply pack gave up the ghost, this has happened to me 3 times over the years with different PC's.

Anyway I watched a video clip on YouTube mainly because the recent power pack has these bulky cables and I was making sure I get everything right before I install the new one when it arrives

I see there are some with the less bulky cables but you most are not, I watched the guy on YT kind of struggling threading the cables to various locations etc, then I had a thought,.

Probably way too late now but wouldn't it have been better if power supplies just unplugged at the base section leaving all the cables in place then it would be a simple matter of unscrew the faulty one replace the new one then plug in the cables to it.

On one clip a guy was saying buy the best supply you can afford rather that a cheaper one that is more likely to pack in, funny thing is the power supply I had was an EVGA and I paid a lot for it but it only lasted me a few months.

I contacted EVGA for a replacement, I posted on another thread they said it was out of warranty, that's another story.

Hi Col,

Yes it is best to buy a PSU of a reliable manufacturer, Seasonic or CoolerMaster are good. Buy a 80+ Gold or Platinum (calculate what your mobo, graphics, CPU, RAM, and USB will need as a minimum) with some overhead (no one wants to be caught short on power draw), enough to cope with your hardware components and any additional peripherals. Mine for example is a CoolerMaster V850 Gold80+ 850watts Full Modular connectivity, although I could probably get away with a similar 750Watt version.

Modular connectivity and a PC case design which allows concealing most of the block clip type cabling below a cover and then through a grommet in the motherboard attachment panel will allow more flexibility in routing and free airflow for cooling. Modular cabling like this is very easy to route, conceal and disconnect if need be. There are also an abundance of additional cables and connection points for PCI cables, this means you can limit cabling to only those you will need to utilise, the rest can stay in the little bag that the cables are packaged in. It all makes for a very tidy build, easily accessible if extra cabling is needed.

As to why even the best PSU's fail, often it comes down to the network reliability, if your Power supplier or network wildly oscillates between under and over volt delivery (Power surging) this can have an adverse effect on the PSU, (particularly if on the overvolt side). Many of the higher quality PSU's will have some overvolt protection built into them, mainly to protect the PC components mobo, CPU, RAM, and whatnot's, but in so doing they are worked fairly hard trying to regulate and deliver reliable power per design spec.

Cheers Jethro

I only use the PC mainly for FSX and I watch streaming TV.

Going back to my idea of connecting a power supply via a single plug in method, I just thought, laptops have the same method, if the power supply packs in you just replace it and plug it in same if the battery goes.

So why not make PC's do something similar?

Archived