Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which PC would you pick for FSX?

Question Which PC would you pick for FSX?

hi guys, im getting a new PC in the next couple days. two different PCs caught my attention...

A)Processor Type
    Intel Core i7-8700K

Processor Speed
    3.70 GHz

Processor Cores

Processor Cache
    12MB L3 Cache

3TB HDD/240GB SSD

RAM
    32GB DDR4

Hard Drive Speed (Revolutions Per Minute)
    7200 rpm

Graphics Card
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Dedicated Graphic Card
    Yes

Video Memory
    11 GB

Sound Card
    Integrated

Power Supply
    800 W

OR??

B)Processor Type
    Intel Core i7 9700K

Processor Speed
    3.60 GHz

Processor Cores

RAM
    16 GB DDR4 2400

2T HDD/480SSD

Hard Drive Speed (Revolutions Per Minute)
    7200 rpm

Graphics Card
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 TI

Dedicated Graphic Card
    Yes

Video Memory
    11 GB

Power Supply

your help is much appreciated

For me this is simple to answer.......simply call JETLINE, let them tell you what you think you should have and let them build it.....I just did and actually have done it twice and I could not be happier...good luck.(like I told I only fly P3D and FSX)
    Last edited by alverthein; 10-31-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alverthein View Post
    For me this is simple to answer.......simply call JETLINE, let them tell you what you think you should have and let them build it.....I just did and actually have done it twice and I could not be happier...good luck.(like I told I only fly P3D and FSX)
    +1
    If you're spending that kind of money, specify your own computer...

Quote Originally Posted by alverthein View Post
    Hey Malcott, It is all paid for and I am pretty old man and just want to fly the pmdgs...not build computers...If I have a question I , as I said, simply call JETLINE...have a good day/.

5. Default

I’d choose the first spec personally - it’s similar to what I’ve spec’d up for my next build. Not sure if any current FS sim uses 8 cores but I could be wrong.

Definitely the 1st spec listed. You don't need SSD's for flight simming. And my advice: get two 1 Tb HDrives and put Windows on C drive and FSX on D drive. Works better. The specs makes this PC 'future proof' as well. Nothing to upgrade unless you want to overclock and then you will need liquid cooling plus a couple more fans. But that '3.7' is when in Turbo Mode (automatic) as it will idle down to 1.6 on it's own - THAT is why I can let my PC stay on 24/7 - it is 'smart' that way. The 800 watt PS is more than you will ever need (good choice). As it is it will be all you need for Simming (and/or video gaming, as far as that is concerned). I bought the parts (got advice of course) and put it together myself. Cheaper that way. But...time is money so a pre-built from these guys is 'ok' (but NOT ok if from Best Buy - they will stick you with cheap 5400 rpm HDrives and you will find you are screwed when it comes time to fly in FSX - get Western Digital Black 7200 rpm (or 10K rpm) or be doomed! Cheers & Beers.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

7. Default

Look here: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

There is a 117 point difference between the 8700k and the 9700k. The obvious answer is PC # 2. But to be honest, a 117 point difference won't matter all that much.

FS is a CPU driven game, and thus you want the fastest CPU possible. To make matters worse FS is a single threaded game. So you want the fastest single threaded CPU you can afford.

SSDs are nice for loading terrain, etc, and they are practically a huge upgrade in themselves. If you don't have a SSD for the main drive now a days you're doing it wrong. You really don't need NVMe though, the speed is vastly faster, but you won't see it unless you have Apps that use HDD speed. With an SSD your Windows load time should be no more than 10 seconds or lower.

What is the name brand of the PSU? If that's junk forgetaboutit. PSU goes and it will take your whole system with it.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Also, it is worth remembering that an upscale graphics card doesn't make the greatest difference to FSX, but if you plan to go to P3D later then it does.

But do - DO - heed CRJ's advice: get a good, brand-name PSU and make sure the power rating is higher than you think it should be.

Jorgen

You don't include your budget, or rather, how much cash you have to spend on a new PC: But as stated above, go all in on the CPU you have installed. New Intel chips are currently being introduced that may lower the price on some of the higher-end chips which should be more than adequate to run FSX...

The OS is not specified either. If this computer (whatever CPU etc. is used) is going to run Win 10 Home, then 16 GB of RAM is all that Win 10 Home can address, so more than 16 GB is money of the window. 32 GB of RAM will only make sense with Win 10 Pro or equivalent.

Jorgen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast