Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working

rvc68

I keep getting this error message "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solulation is available" Has anyone had this problem and if so what was the cause? I get this in FSX, and many other games. I am using Windows 8.1.

It's time to look for the cause of your error. You will be looking for a "Faulting Module".

Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Event Viewer, select Custom Views-> Administrative Events.

One of the listed events will be for your CTD. The "Faulting Module" should point to the problem area.

Tell us what the Faulting Module is! That will point us in the direction of the proper error, aiding in troubleshooting.

BELOW IS A SAMPLE OF WHAT YOU MIGHT SEE!

General Tab:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: This is what we need to Know!

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000ee3a

Faulting process id: 0x748

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce0253dc4b69d4

Faulting application path: R:\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: R:\FSX\window.dll

Report Id: 9caf77b4-6e50-11e2-8570-3085a99825d1

If there is not one listed:

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000,

you will need to do as previously noted

No Faulting Module? ->

Remove all of the add-ons, and test the sim. If it works OK, then reinstall them one at a time and test.

Be sure to test each thoroughly before moving on to the next

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I am very sorry to be blunt, but if you are going to wait for Windows/Microsoft to come up with solution, then you are going to be waiting forever. Microsoft stopped FSX support a long time ago. BTW, they are not supporting Win 8.1 either.

You need to come up with the information that Mr. Zippy requested, then we will help you out. And OUR support here is pretty darn good, and is still working!

Jorgen

I am very sorry to be blunt, but if you are going to wait for Windows/Microsoft to come up with solution, then you are going to be waiting forever. Microsoft stopped FSX support a long time ago. BTW, they are not supporting Win 8.1 either.

You need to come up with the information that Mr. Zippy requested, then we will help you out. And OUR support here is pretty darn good, and is still working!

Jorgen

Jorgen - I believe it was Windows 8 they stopped supporting. I had Windows 8 on my travel laptop and had to update it to 8.1. I am still getting updates for it using 8.1.

Rick :cool:

These are the errors that occured on 10/21/2018

10/21/2018 Faulting application name: CALMAIN.exe, version: 8.2.0.1, time stamp: 0x442b232e

Faulting module name: MSVCRT.dll, version: 7.0.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54504b2e

10/21/2018 Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.3.9600.18460, time stamp: 0x57c1b8c1

Faulting module name: Qt5Core.dll_unloaded, version: 5.1.1.0, time stamp: 0x5295cada

10/21/2018 Faulting application name: esu.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x58dac8d5

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18938, time stamp: 0x5a7dd8a7

10/21/2018 Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e17d3

Faulting module name: uiautomationcore.dll, version: 7.2.9600.17795, time stamp: 0x552716ad

10/21/2018 Faulting application name: AlienwareAlienFXController.exe, version: 4.0.51.0, time stamp: 0x544a72d1

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

It's time to look for the cause of your error. You will be looking for a "Faulting Module".

Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Event Viewer, select Custom Views-> Administrative Events.

One of the listed events will be for your CTD. The "Faulting Module" should point to the problem area.

Well, I can load the simulator but when I get the default scenerio and try to change the airport it does go to that location but when I change the view it gives me this error and closes FSX. As I said I am getting this error message on some other games I have. I have been getting this for the last 4 or 5 years on other games but it just started doing this on FSX. I don't even bother to go to Microsoft. Sure appreciate your reply, I never had this problem when I was using Windows XP just started when I go a new computer which came with Windows 8.1

Hi rcv68,

Looks like your system has become damaged or unstable and has been heading that way for 4-5 years. Often a result of BSODS, bad MS Updates or a general software incompatibility within your system. Faulty or corrupt graphics driver's can often lead to dependant programs also faulting when there is a system event showing related faulting modules.

I wonder if it might be a good idea at this point to perform a "System File Check" .

If you open the CMD dos window "as administrator" then type sfc /scannow click enter to run the tool, (it may take some time, 10-15min) it will find and fix any system file errors indicating if it found any integrity violations and offer to fix them, sometimes requiring additional steps in the process.

error: faulting module qt5core.dll - this would seem to be related to Radeon graphics, possibly fixed with fresh installation of your catalyst driver (I don't use AMD or Radeon so can't advise which version is the best stable one to install, others may know the answer to this).

These ones possibly might be fixed by running sfc /scannow "System File Checker"

error: faulting module MSVCRT.dll

error: faulting module KERNELBASE.dll

error: faulting module unknown

You should also consider updating all your Microsoft Visual C++ you should have 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2017, for both x86 and x64 OS ( I have 20 VisualC++ updates in my Win7 64 programs list)

Here is a link to a multi installer for all current VisualC++ updates) https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/visual_c_runtime_installer.html

Please download the VisualC++ (All-in-One) installer read the instructions and watch the video on that page (it will show you how to use the installer).

Yes, that fixed the problem with FSX. Thank you very much for your help it is really appreciated. Will this .dll only work on FSX or would it work on some of the other games I have this problem with?

Hi rcv68,

If you are referring to the UIAutomationCore.dll placed in FSX root folder as Mr Zippy referenced above. It is only to fix the Multiple click / Opening Menu banner option CTD's in FSX GUI. The issue is related to old tech used by FSX and newer OS'es such as W7 W8.1 W10 where the OS own UIAutomationCore.dll is not able to be utilised when FSX is running particularly when using the Aero style Glass desktop themes. Hence the older implementation of a Vista UIAutomationCore.dll inserted directly into FSX root folder is accessed by the sims GUI.

It does not have a use as far as I know within other gaming genres'.

Incidentally - did you attempt any of my suggestions, did SFC reveal any integrity violations, is your VisualC++ Up-to-Date, did you refresh your Radeon Graphics drivers.

I would have a look at your hard drive and RAM.

For the HDD. Go to the hard drive, right click it, select the Tools tab and scan for errors. You'll need to reboot.

Once that is complete go the Event Viewer and right click system in the tree and click find. Enter chckdsk. What does it say?

To test your RAM download and and burn Memtest86 to a blank CD or USB drive and then boot it. Once in Memtest86 select the scan methods or what ever it's called and use 1-11. It's comma separated. So it would be 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11. Let that run possibly over night. Does it report errors under the error section bottom right?

https://www.memtest86.com/

Edit-

Looks like Memtest86 has 13 tests, not 11 like Memtest 86+. I use Memtest 86+, but it looks like I should just use Memtest86.

Archived