Gatwick apt rw 8R ILS approach

mavdd

Hi everybody!

When time when i fly any airplane from EHAM to EGKK and use ILS RW8 R approach i end up, following gatwick appr control, almost at the start of the runway 8R, but at 3000 ft.!

This means that all the time you have always a missed approach...

it looks or the EGKK scenery is not in the right position or the routing to EGKK ILS rw8 is not alright!

Does anyone have this problem too ?

but more important, how can i correct it?

Thanks in advance,

Marcel

Have you prevoiusly "planned" your flight via the FS9 flight planner function and have you then saved your flight before re-starting it in the newly planned situation ? Does ATC vector you correctly at EHAM from gate departure, taxiing to the active, from takeoff, along your flight route and finally for an ILS approach, for a visual one or none at all ? Have you tuned your NAV1 radio correctly to the EGKK 8R runway localizer frequency ? Have you set your final approach course correctly ?

Check if the default AP947130 file is present in your EURW folder because ATC needs it's data to vector you correctly and especially during your approach phase.

I have flown this EHAM - EGKK route under default ATC control in different civillian jets very often myself and have never experienced your kinds of problem.

Good luck

Hans

Hi Hans, actually i can say yes to all your questions.... all goes well till i get to biggins... from there it looks alright as well till suddenly i have to turn to port by gatwick approach atc which brings me at 3000ft and when i am 2 or 3 miles from the beginning of the runway i have to turn left to get into the ils beam and land...

Have know idea, following the atc orders and even after a published missed approach i follow the atc and get the same rw and approach, ILS freqs are ok. I will plan other flights to EGKK from other airports and will keep you informed... Thanks for your reply!

Marcel

I just tried the approach and it cleared me for the ILS Approach at 20 miles out. After that, I make sure that I intercept the ILS Localizer at least 10 miles out. That way I'm still above the glideslope at 3,000 ft. I assume that once you are cleared for the approach, any ATC instructions (if any) are just suggestions.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Hi Marcel,

Is your flight plan "from VOR to VOR" or direct ? Are you sure that your AP947130.bgl file has not been edited in any way because, to me it certainly looks like it.

Tomorrow I'll fly your route myself to see if I will be vectored to Rwy 8R via Biggins, like you. I'll let you know.

Hans

Marcel,

To my great surprise my initial ILS approach to Gatwick did not go as it normally does at other airports and only after reporting a missed approach did ATC turn me back on a wide turning circle for a second approach, which this time did go more or less as expected. More or less ? Yes, but only after deviating from the ATC instructions by manually steering towards the runway heading .

There seems to be something very wrong somewhere here because normally default ATC should vector you towards the ILS beam at 90 degrees and at a final approach altitude below the glide slope. As you get closer to the beam, ATC will then vector you towards the runway heading so that you intercept the beam at an angle between 20 and 30 degrees. Once you have intercepted the beam and have finally turned towards the runway heading at the instructed altitude, you will then intercept the glide slope as though it comes down towards your altitude.

However, at Gatwick the initial vectoring towards the ILS beam does not seem to take place correctly, in any case not initially at the normal 90 degrees.

Tom, did you make your approach towards the default Gatwick or did you make it towards any addon scenery version of Gatwick and could you describe it as having been perfectly normal ? I'm using an addon version, which could contain errors of some sort in it's afcad data and I will have a good look at it tomorrow.

Regards

Hans

Hi,

It is the classic 1962 version of Gatwick. And I did have to use my own navigation after ATC cleared me for the approach, or I would have never intercepted the localizer if I remained on the last heading given. While not common, this has happened to me more than at just Gatwick. So I look on it as an FS9 ATC bug.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Hi Hans,

the plan was and is high altitude IFR,

Even from Dublin to gatwick i had the same problem.

but a remark of you made me think.. the one about the AP947130 file in the EURW folder.

because after putting the original file back, nothing changed..... but after restoring the original complete eurw map, deleting the flightplan and planning the flight again, suddenly the atc send me south of gatwick and took me in for a normal ILS landing at rw 8R. and a few times more, als from other airports to gatwick.. So it has to be that one or more of the EURW files became corrupted..

And Tom, I think this is the same with your EURW files......

But anyway gentlemen, i am happy that mine is working well now.

even after using addon sceneries it might help to restore the original eurw map...

Thank you very much for your help!

Hope it corrects the problems you have also....!

Marcel,

Happy to hear that you have managed to solve your problems, most probably because you had a newer magdev file within your EURW folder, instead of the older one for which your addon Gatwick airport scenery was probably made. When you restored your EURW folder the original magdev file was most probably restored as well, thereby solving your problem. I'm not 100% sure about this but it does seem highly likely because all the other files within the EURW folder concern only basic default sceneries and nothing which could somhow upset ATC in the way you first described.

In the meantime I've been bushwacked by other more serious tehnical problems, which now have a higher priority but I will certainly rememeber your solution.

Hans

Marcel,

In the meantime I've managed to solve most of my own problems and was at last able to make a test flight from Ostende to Gatwick in a modern jet. Nope, ATC got itself all messed up again but after I had restored the file "NV9EURW0.bgl" in the EURW/scenery folder from an older backup, did a new ATC test flight go as normal.

However, the fact that this EURW magdev file had somehow and inadvertedly been replaced by a later (more up to date) one can only mean one thing, namely that one or more of my later installed West European sceneries will now also have the same Gatwick type of ATC problems because these will be based on the newer "NV9EURW0.bgl" file, which has now been replaced by the older one.

How to permanently solve this problem has now become a difficult question to answer.

Regards

Hans

Archived