Terrible Performance FSX/4K/1080Ti

sfzobie1

I recently upgraded my monitor (43” 4K IPS Monitor) and video card. On one hard drive I am running Windows 7, which was running 1080p without issue on a 25” monitor. With the new monitor, I figured I’d upgrade the video card and got a good deal on a 1080ti, alongside 16gb 2666 ram and a i4790 processor. Sim isn’t usable, it’s so slow and lags. Even when I downgrade resolution, it’s still not smooth. So I then installed a new SSD, new 750w power supply, new windows 10 OS and a clean FSX (with Acceleration) install. Problem actually is worse now. I run PMDG/CaptainSim a/c and Orbx. Have Active Sky and Rex on Windows 7, have not migrated them over to Windows 10 yet.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, I benchmarked the system and it’s in good shape to run almost any new game in 4K so why can’t it run FSX?

Because FSX is 12 years old and was never properly optimised - it can't even handle DX10 properly.

FSX runs best at medium settings on my rig (see my signature below for the specs), the only settings I have maxed are Special Effects and Detailed Clouds.

The FSX resolution is the same as my screen recommended resolution, fps is locked at 30, Affinity Mask=12 in FSX.cfg and UIAutomationCore.dll in the FSX main folder.

My nVidia Inspector settings are as low as I can go to get decent AA without getting shimmering.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I recently upgraded my monitor (43” 4K IPS Monitor) and video card. On one hard drive I am running Windows 7, which was running 1080p without issue on a 25” monitor. With the new monitor, I figured I’d upgrade the video card and got a good deal on a 1080ti, alongside 16gb 2666 ram and a i4790 processor. Sim isn’t usable, it’s so slow and lags. Even when I downgrade resolution, it’s still not smooth. So I then installed a new SSD, new 750w power supply, new windows 10 OS and a clean FSX (with Acceleration) install. Problem actually is worse now. I run PMDG/CaptainSim a/c and Orbx. Have Active Sky and Rex on Windows 7, have not migrated them over to Windows 10 yet.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, I benchmarked the system and it’s in good shape to run almost any new game in 4K so why can’t it run FSX?

What you don't mention is whether you reinstalled the new graphics card with a new installation of drivers; whether you deleted the generated shaders; new monitor drivers; even a fresh fsx .cfg?

Please fill in the rest of the blanks for further assistance, including actual frame rates.

Thank you.

Hello Eli.

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing troubles with your new setup. I hope this forum link also helps you, in addition to the links previously provided by other members. I have used the installation information contained within these forum links (upper window area on the webpage) to setup my FS9 and FSX systems for many years and it has worked perfectly every single time --- as long as I followed the instructions exactly... or at least as close as possible with regards to the FS9. The pages are updated by Nick as needed. The info and knowledge contained here is priceless and really makes for a beautiful simulator.

You can see my outdated system specs in my signature - my system still performs well using Nick's guidelines in the links. Best wishes! -Glenn

Also... DO NOT forget to read this link entirely. It has an instant visual impact and is absolutely a MUST HAVE item for anyone running Invidia cards.

2021 Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 32GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill RAM, Nvidia GTX 1660ti 6GB GDDR6, 500GB and 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD, 144MHZ 1920×1080P 300Nits ISP screen,

Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS, (2nd Display) Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 TTF Monitor, CHProducts FlightYoke & RudderPedals, Logitech 3D Pro Extreme joystick

Thanks for all the responses.

When I installed the new SSD, the windows 10 was new, so all new drivers were installed. Not sure what the generated shaders are, and unsure if the new monitor has standalone drivers. I’m assuming a clean install of fsx would generate a new .cfg, as there is no communication between the harddrives.

I will have a look at the different links and report back. I’m toying with the idea of upgrading the CPU/MB and possibly converting to P3D.

Archived