Can't stop on the runway after toutch-down

jansar

Can anyone out there please help me?

The "history" is the following:

I have for a while been flying propeller-plane in FSX Steam and now trying to fly jets. The plane is 737 and I have now two times been apple to land the airplane by using Autopilot and ILS activated.

I have set the Auto-brake in the cockpit before landing and full-flaps set, speed 140 Ks. After toutchdown I used my stop-button on the joystick, but nothing happens - the plane continue along the runway without reducing speed.

Question: How do I activate the Auto-brake etc. (switch or button) to bring the plane to stop on the runway?

Sincerely

Jan Sarauw

Denmark

First of all, are you referring to the "default" 737? Speed and flaps sound OK, are you applying reverse thrust? Holding down the Ctrl+F2 Keys? How about auto-spoilers...are they set to come up at touchdown? All sorts of things need to happen to slow the aircraft. Be sure to turn off Autothrottle.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

First of all, are you referring to the "default" 737? Speed and flaps sound OK, are you applying reverse thrust? Holding down the Ctrl+F2 Keys? How about auto-spoilers...are they set to come up at touchdown? All sorts of things need to happen to slow the aircraft. Be sure to turn off Autothrottle.

Thank you for your answer - It is night now here in Denmark (01:27). I will come back tomorrow with more information to my question.

Autobrake is on 2d panel I think. Or assign a button. I assigned:

contr shift + (increase)

and

contr shift - (decrease)

switch off AP and AT before touchdown. I usually switch off AT above 600ft and AP above 300ft.

'/' extends spoilers.

'Shift /' arms spoilers so they auto-extend at touchdown.

Press and hold F2 for reversers. (not "contr F2" as Zippy said. I think "contr F2" is what you use in props.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jan - Thought this might help. I have circled in red the Auto Brake. Also, when the Auto Spoilers have been properly armed, you will see an annunciator light on the instrument panel lit up; that I have circled in yellow.

Like Il says, to arm the spoilers it is Shift + / , light should come on. To disarm the spoilers after landing just hit the / key and they will disarm!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]205381[/ATTACH]

Good luck and welcome to the forum! - Rick :cool:

Can anyone out there please help me?

The "history" is the following:

I have for a while been flying propeller-plane in FSX Steam and now trying to fly jets. The plane is 737 and I have now two times been apple to land the airplane by using Autopilot and ILS activated.

I have set the Auto-brake in the cockpit before landing and full-flaps set, speed 140 Ks. After toutchdown I used my stop-button on the joystick, but nothing happens - the plane continue along the runway without reducing speed.

Question: How do I activate the Auto-brake etc. (switch or button) to bring the plane to stop on the runway?

Sincerely

Jan Sarauw

Denmark

Sounds like you forgot to switch off speed control (It's independent of the rest of the autopilot).

Check you have switched OFF autothrottle.

Jan - Yes, as Mallcott said above, make sure that Autothrottle switch gets turned off in your approach to landing! Here is a 737-800 showing spoilers armed, auto brakes set, hope this will help. With the A/p turned off, Autothrottle turned off, spoilers armed, autobrake on, you will find that this aircraft will want to stop dead in it's tracks. Most times, after touchdown and roll out, you have to scurry to get that autobrake turned off, because it is so effective it can work against you!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]205394[/ATTACH]

Note: This pic was taken while approaching the airport, so A/P and Autothrottle is still engaged (switches have not been turned off for landing), and ILS procedure has not begun yet. Just wanted to illustrate the spoiler light and auto brake selection.

Hope you get all this resolved and can start enjoying the 737. It's a fairly simple straight forward aircraft that should help in making the transition over to jet aircraft!

Enjoy! Rick :cool:

Archived