I don't understand the thinking of 3rd party companies

n697dt

I recently saw a pie chart of what simmers are using, and I think 78% are using P3D v4. Less than 10% use X-plane, thus I don't understand all of the freeware and payware 3rd parties are putting out for X-plane. That business model doesn't make sense. Are they not throwing money at a sinking ship? I can't see Laminar competing with Lockheed Martin in the long term. Just thinking.

Jack T.

MSI Z370 SLI Plus, i7-9700k, 32 Gb DDR4 3600 MHz memory, PNY RTX 4070Ti

I recently saw a pie chart of what simmers are using, and I think 78% are using P3D v4. Less than 10% use X-plane, thus I don't understand all of the freeware and payware 3rd parties are putting out for X-plane. That business model doesn't make sense. Are they not throwing money at a sinking ship? I can't see Laminar competing with Lockheed Martin in the long term. Just thinking.

Yes, but not clearly...

Laminar offers alternative options in the 64-bit sim sphere. Developers of Boring airliners and other types not owned by Lockheed Martin gravitated toward X-Plane in expectation of it advancing further and faster.

It's hardly THEIR fault that Laminar `advance` like a slug on mogadon... X-Plane is years ahead of where it used to be, if still lightyears behind the current P3D and its addons.

It's not a sinking ship. Merely one taking on water...

First question is where did those numbers come from? Many surveys I have seen are biased one way or another because the site that ran it is skewed towards one sim. This site, for example, has plenty of FS2004 and FSX users, but few for X-plane as they tend to hangout elsewhere.

And as for Laminar competing, they made it this far up against Microsoft and LM, do I don't see why they can't keep going.

I can't remember the website I saw those numbers, but it must have been skewed numbers because I thought it was hard to believe as well. But I think I have become a little biased myself after moving from FSX to P3D v4.3. The only hardware I updated was the GPU from a 640GT to a 1050ti. Before I couldn't fly into any major airports with FSX because my fps would hit the single digits. Now I'm running around 30 fps at least in P3D. It is well worth the upgrade to 64 bit if your budget allows. I did have to sacrifice drinking beer for a few nights, but it was worth it.

Jack T.

MSI Z370 SLI Plus, i7-9700k, 32 Gb DDR4 3600 MHz memory, PNY RTX 4070Ti

What I say is let the market sort itself out. Developers will put their talents where they see they can generate the most revenue. Right now the future is mostly P3D, X-Plane and a little Aerofly. Developers are slowly starting to drop out of older platforms as we have seen another (CaptainSim) drop development for FSX just this week. We may soon start seeing developers start releasing software for FlyInside Flight Simulator which was just released in beta on Tuesday which is geared specifically toward VR.

Just sit back, enjoy the sim of your choice and watch the future unfold. We are currently going through a great and long awaited progress in the flight sim world. :)

Two major things keep me from X-Plane:

ATC.

and

Weather.

Then there's the realistic factor with aircraft. If I can't get that then I'm not using it. I'd like to have an aircraft that operates like a PMDG 737.

ATC.

and

Weather.

Then there's the realistic factor with aircraft. If I can't get that then I'm not using it. I'd like to have an aircraft that operates like a PMDG 737.

Agreed. It seems X-Plane apologists don't see active weather and a semblance of ATC as a problem. And if that doesn't bother them they're hardly likely to see a 180-horse piston prop climbing at a rate and deck angle akin to a homesick angel as an issue.

It seems like everything that needs to be added to X-Plane to form a cohesive sim experience comes from the aftermarket? No problem with that initially, but after every successive version of XP unfixes what went before or corrupts what made the sim worthwhile in the first place one kinda gets jaded...

We'll see later this week just how much 11.30 completely stuffs 11.20.

ATC.

and

Weather.

That's where I sit as well. It's a really, really beautiful sim right out of the box, but the ATC and weather are jokes. If all you want to do is tool around slow and low, and aren't too bothered about weaving like a drunk on the takeoff roll, then Xplane is just fine and prettier than stock P3D. But if you want to learn systems or travel long distances, Xplane will be a disappointment.

Guest lavochkin

X-plane 11 works very well for me. LR put out software to make my own scenery and software to make my own planes. FS real weather works very well in x-plane. 10% uses x-plane? Here on this site, go to x-plane.org and see how big of following they have their. I don't have a problem with takeoffs, my plane go straight down the runway, What is problem?

X-PLANE ROCKS!!!!!

X Plane 11 comes with far better airplanes, particularly airliners, right out of the box.

As disappointed as I was with Xplane, I'll agree with you there. The Maddog was *really* good for a default aircraft. And some of the add-ons are really nice too. I wish Aerobask would make stuff for p3d. I thought the Eclipse 550 they did was stellar, especially for the price.

I have found the weather in X-Plane to be more than adequate, albeit perhaps not as "Norman Rockwell" beautiful as some of the add-ons available for the MSFS platforms. But that sort of thing is eye candy.

See, here we disagree. It's not just pretty clouds. It's the winds and turbulence found inside those pretty clouds that we want. Active Sky will grab real-world weather and stick it in your sim. If there's a thunderstorm over your house, and you fly over your house in the sim, you will be flying in a thunderstorm. This adds a dose of realism that nothing in Xplane can currently touch.

I, as a real world pilot, have never understood the acceptance within our community of the in-house ATC that comes with FSX. This is one area where I do not know how P3D handles it,

Very similar. The speech is a little faster, which is nice. The window no longer pops up over your entire screen and blocks all the controls, and it only pops up at points where you need to respond instead of right when ATC starts talking to you. But yes, you're correct. ATC in FSX/P3D sucks. Unfortunately, Xplane11's ATC makes FSX/P3D look about 5 generations more advanced. I thought I knew what crappy ATC handling was until I tried Xplane. That is a truly miserable implementation.

I do agree with you that VATSIM/etc are excellent (at least where there is coverage), but some of us have wives who have computers in the same room as our computers, and those wives do not necessarily want to hear us yakking to ATC all the time. The text-response interface is preferable for marital harmony. ;)

All that aside, the main reason I use ATC services at all in sim is because simming in a complete vacuum is less realistic than taking some form of direction. I don't like to fly as though I am the only thing in the world - I like being told where to go at least occasionally so that I don't run into the AI traffic.

Hi Folks,

I don’t use XP...

But as far as developers making products for it - it could make good sense - “If you build it - they will come” Field of Dreams logic - more products - more choices - might mean more people pulled to that side of the fence ?

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bJQZKiw.png

ok - this is the P3D forum. If you want to extoll the virtues of XP - we have a great XP forum here. Please use it.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Archived