FSX Disc vs FSX Steam - Same settings-same plane

NPFsx-RET

All – I have FSX Disc version installed with service packs 1 & 2 installed and activated. I have it installed on C:/. It runs fine. All the planes work as expected, at least all the ones I have flown, i.e., the Cessna, Beechcraft Baron, Beechcraft Air 350, Boeing 737 & 747. Because of my military service, I purchased the Virtavia C-17 III Gloabmaster for FSX and installed it on the program. It also runs and fly’s excellent, in fact, it seems to fly better than the 737 & 747, as I don’t crash it as much, I think 2 times so far. I have flights from Dobbins AFB in GA all the way out west to Mountain Home, ID, and numerous places in between. This is the most fun plane to fly because it loves to fly, it has to be forced onto the runway for landing. All the features in the plane work perfect every time, all the time period.

Additionally, I have FSX-Steam version installed on my D:/ Drive. It installed fine, but took a long time. The programs are both configured exactly the same as far as the settings go. I also have the steam version of the C-17 III installed on this version of FSX, and I am not happy with it performance.

I set up two identical flights from Offutt, AFB to Vance, AFB in Enid, OK. The flights were setup IFR using VOR navigation and I follow the GPS flight line during the flight, and have the frequencies tuned into the nav 1 & 2 so I can check my position. I use the ILS landing procedures with ATC controlling the flight along its path. It’s my understanding that Steam installs all the FSX files locally to the install location/drive, which I have verified.

In the FSX disc version, I have no anomalies of the terrain, or the performance of the plane, everything works just fine. I have not enabled failures, so those are not present. Occasionally, that is until I read the manual, the APU would not shut down (improper operation on my part). I always start with plane cold and dark, as I like to go through the C-17 Checklist to learn where all the buttons (that are working in the models) are located and how they operate. I suspect I have logged 15 landings/takeoffs, and flown 1500 miles in this version.

Today after reinstalling FSX Steam, I finally got around to flying the leg I mentioned in paragraph 3. In FSX Steam, the video is choppy, the edges of the runways are flashing, and periodically systems don’t work, for instance, the Auto Pilot was on, altitude and course was set, the speed button would turn on, but it would not control the throttle, so I had to manually set my air speed the whole trip, and also when landing. I always use the throttle on takeoff. While in the approach setup for landing, for several thousand feet while descending, the controls would not operate, except for elevator trim which is how I got it close enough to land. At the last seconds of the flight, the controls came back, and I was able to land safely. One speed brake would not lower, until I juggled the key several times, after pulling off on the taxiway. Suffice to say I was not happy with the games performance and the way it worked.

So to make sure it’s not my PC, I flew the exact flight using the FSX disc version installed off c:/. Using the same process as earlier, the plane flew flawlessly to the destination, all the buttons and switches worked as they should, and I landed safely at my destination.

My pc is an ASUS ROG, 17.3” screen. I have 16GB of system RAM and a NVIDA GeForce GTX 1050TI video card, so I am running good hardware. I am using an external keyboard and monitor, Samsung 31.99 inches in size. Also a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, and it has worked excellent as well. I thought for a while it was the monitor, but none of the aberrations mentioned above happened in the FSX Disc version flight. While writing this, I got to thinking, since the FSX Disc version is installed on my C: /, which is an SSD, and the Steam version is installed on D: / which is a 1TB disc drive, that the drive latency might be the difference here. I will have to do more tests. I cannot see any difference between the FSX Disc one versus the Steam Version although there are supposed to be enhancements in the performance and video, I cannot see those differences. The disc version seems to work better than the steam version. I don’t think there is cross conflict between the different versions on the same machine because they are installed in two different places.

Any ideas from you folks on why the Steam version is acting strangely and not performing as I think it should. I will try several more flights, testing out my ideas on the performance. Thank you in advance sorry to be so long winded.

Update 10-15-2018 – Just attempted to fly from Vance AFB to Holliman AFB in steam. AP Speed button still inoperative. Lost control of plane while attempting climb out of Vance. Ended program prior to crash. There is something wrong with either my setting or the plane in steam. If there is a way to re-download it and install it I am game for that. I am going to copy off all my saved flights to a backup I have and start fresh with nothing for FSX Steam to get errors from. Believe it might be my D drive install, just don’t have enough free space on C to move it. May uninstall it and just stick with FSX Disc version since it works perfect, and I cannot see the difference with the graphics if there are any.

If the disc version is working well for you, there isn't going to be much benefit to using the Steam edition. While there were some fixes with the Steam edition, there weren't any changes to things likes graphics or the bundled aircraft and scenery.

Possibly steam fsx settings. Menu bar--aircraft--realism settings. Your settings may be Different from disc edition. Especially: speed. (lower left.) "use Indicated Air Speed." (select that one).

Also to lesser extent the 5 sliders for p-factor and such. More right means more work for pc. Set them further left to same (or less) then in disk edition.

Hope is clear enough. Tired.

Ps. D: not full? (more then 20% free I hope.).

Ps2. D 7200 or 5400rpm?

Ps3. Drive speed does make a difference, but only a small one. Data is loaded once from disk, and from memory then on. After I moved my system from hdd to an ssd (using imaging program) I was able to use slightly higher settings. Not much, but noticeable.

Using "true airspeed" you will fly faster through the landscape then the (ias!) gauge shows. Fsx (pc) has to load everything faster --> stutters.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First, FSX with SP1 and SP2 is NOT the same as FSX:SE.

FSX:SE is FSX with the Acceleration add-on, which, I believe, obviates SP2. I think. I'm not certain. Anywho, they're definately not the same, and shouldn't, necessarily, have the same settings, or FSX.CFG changes, to them.

Each one is different, and should be treated as a unique, stand-alone simulator, not copies of one another. Finally, due to the two different installations, there are gauges, effects, scenery, and aircraft with each. This will cause the two to act differently.

You should set each one up uniquely. NOT as a clone of the other. They're not.

Good luck!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

All - Have not removed FSX-SE yet, and may not. First it's not the HDD latency. Believe FSX-SE goes to the Documents folder for flight planned flights, and if their is one there with the same name, it picks that one which was created in FSX Disc edition. Going to remove all those old flights and then make separate folder for FSX-SE to put planned flights into. With that said, installed Groundhandling V6 last evening, and after I got it working, put it into the C-17, hmmm, speed control in AP still erratic, sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. If I just fly right out of the gate it works, if I plan flight it does not. Going to investigate why off and on. Otherwise for now going to keep it on PC. Thank you all for your comments.

The fact the C-17 version for the box works but the SE version has problems points to a possible problem with the SE version - either its files or its installation. AFAIK both products are actually the same and, as with many other so called SE versions (especially those that were developed prior to the advent of SE), it is only the installer that has been changed so that it can find the SE location.

You could try:

1. Uninstall the SE version, re-download the source file, ensuring that you have the latest version available and reinstall.

2. Uninstall the SE version, install the boxed version (you will probably have to point it to the SE location) and use the SE versions activation code if one is provided/required.

3. Uninstall both versions and install the boxed version into SE using the boxed version activation code if one is provided/required.

A note regarding the above 3 options - this may identify another possible cause for the problem. Both products will likely (and certainly will if a form of activation is required) create entries in the windows registry. It could be that having two copies installed at once on the same PC is causing a conflict and/or corrupt registry keys.

4. Try some of the default aircraft in SE and see if they also have the same problems with choppy video and the autopilot etc - this may point to a problem with the SE install itself.

5. WRT choppy video etc - Confirm that the SE version is using the GTX (and not defaulting to the onboard Intel graphics card built into the motherboard) and that both it and FSX-SE are set at the same screen resolution.

Regards

Brian

There's no need to uninstall and re-install FSX or FSX Steam Edition. Just open the Steam client and do the following:

-hover your mouse over Library

-click on "Games"

-Right-click"Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition"

-select "Properties"

-Select the "Local Files" tab

-click on "Verify Integrity of Games Cache"

Steam will check your FSX installation and re-install/replace any missing or corrupt files for you. When it's finished you can just click Play Now and it'll launch FSX:SE for you.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

The fault is more likely to be with FSX:SE than with the Globemaster.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thank you. I have not figured out how to uninstall the Steam Version of the Virtavia C-17. Nowhere on Steam does or is their any tips on that. After I downloaded it, I copied the whole directory to another location so I could save the files in case it got hosed up. Just copied the files back over themselves in the steam DLC folder, now it's worse than before. The FSX-Disc version is on C:/, the Steam version is in a custom directory on D. Up until a few days ago, both worked fine. Have also posted a help request on Steam Support on how to remove a paid for DLC and reinstall it, so far nothing. The thing I hate about Steam, is getting help is almost impossible, and when someone seems to answer the query or give help, they never flesh out their answer. It's on it's last legs if I don't get an answer from Steam, it's is going to be uninstalled and I will stay with FSX boxed version works perfect. I did as suggested below, "properties, edit and verify the game files thing no errors and nothing seemed to be missing. Hmmmm, wonder if it just fixes it and never tells me. Doing something else now, so cannot test it yet, but will later on this evening. If it works good, if not, I am going to uninstall Steam FSX and just stick with the Disc version.

Thank you. I have not figured out how to uninstall the Steam Version of the Virtavia C-17. Nowhere on Steam does or is their any tips on that.

There is plenty of help if you google 'uninstall steam dlc'.

You can remove DLC by right-clicking on FSX Steam Edition in your Steam Library, selecting Properties, selecting the DLC tab, and then removing the tick from the Install box for the individual DLCs. You can then reinstall the DLCs by ticking this box again. Easy.

All - Thank you for the assistance. I have done as suggested, we will see if this works. If it does all is good, if not I have been in contact over the last weeks with Virtavia, based on my understanding of all this, it could be a corrupted .cfg file. Everything works, except the SPD button in the Autopilot. If there was a paint scheme it's now gone. Hopefully reinstalling this whole thing will fix it. Great Forum.

All - Reinstalling Steam DLC did not fix it. I am going to look at the panels.cfg file to see if anything is weird, as I added Groundhandling V6, and could have messed up an entry. I did back up the original, but after reinstalling the DLC, it's all back to OEM. My Disc version works, so I may just take this all off my PC and be done with it. I travel some in an RV internet is spotty at best, so playing SE will be a challenge anyway. Since the Disc version works fine for me. I am going to stay with it.

In the news section, there was an article that Captain Sims was going to quit servicing FSX, since it's 32Bit. I am assuming Xplane11 and P3D are both 64bit. My question is how much of a learning curve for either? I have the Xp11 trial already downloaded, but it only allows 15 minutes flying the Base Cessna, which is a joke no one can make up their mind about shelling out $$$ for a game with 15 minutes and one plane. The menus are deep and terminology might be different than FSX. So what I am really asking is what do you think the life expectancy is of FSX regardless of versions? This must have been answered or discussed someplace, but in a quick look I did not run across it, so if it is out there, just direct me to the discussion and I won't waste any more of your time. Thank you in advance.

All - Discovered something else. When MSFT sold FS Platform to Dovetail. DT was supposed to upgrade it, at least that is the rumor. So I was checking Airports in Disc version verses the SE version, and I don't see, at least the one I am looking at, any changes. Nor did they update the airport list it seems. Yes, I realize that FSX in all iterations is getting long in the tooth, but if you are going to sort of fix it, would it not behoove you to really fix it. Bring it up to date, with the new runway headings currently on the Approach Charts, frequencies, and airport facilities which have new infrastructure and that share the area with military units? X-Plane 11 says they have 3D for 3000 airports, but does not say how many AP's are supported, they brag about Europe, I don't care about Europe yet. Guess I will have to install the demo again and see what the deal is. I also will check the XP11 Forum to see if I can find the info I want there. Yes, 64bit is the goal. Wish DT would just port it to 64bit and upgrade all the things, crap, I would pay for that, since the learning curve would be way less. Then I would not have to re-buy all the planes over again, although, they would be 32 bit, so you might. That is one reason to keep what we are using. FWIW-Google Earth and Plan G even show the area where the C-17 should be parked, at KJAN, FSX does not, yeah not updated. Ok, off my Soap Box now.

First, something else that I forgot to suggest in my first post (post #6) - in connection with suggestion #5 - check and match all settings of SE against the box version. Setting the SE version to the same settings will allow you to run the Globemaster on a known set of values and may help ID an issue between SE and boxed versions.

Also you could try simply swapping out some files and use the aircraft.cfg, panel.cfg and model.cfg files from the boxed version in your SE version - make sure to back up the original SE files first.

WRT to using SE in your RV - you don't need to be online and connected to Steam to play most Steam products unless you are using a multiplayer aspect of the game. So, for SE in particular, unless you use a online flight planner or weather utility you can 'fly' offline. You can set the Steam Client to start automatically in Off Line mode even if there is a internet connection available. For more info on this search for FSX-SE related threads that I have participated in - I have given the details on how this subject in a number of such threads...………

WRT to the 'life expectancy of FSX' - Yes FSX is long in the tooth but I suspect that it will remain 'viable' for many years to come. It is still well supported by most major developers and this is likely to continue for some time yet. It is also well supported by the 'freeware' community with new content being added on a regular basis. As a marker look at the longevity of FS2004 - it still occasionally gets new products from the major developers and, again, like FSX it is also well supported by the 'freeware' community.

Regards

Brian

WRT KJAN and mil parking...

Go to HERE - MAIW have an extensive list of AI packages that contain updated airport .bgl files, AI models and flight plans.

You will need to register (free) to be able to download stuff.

Whilst they are original for FS2004 many can be installed info FSX with no issues. Look on the website for a guide on how to install into FSX...….

Regards

Brian

All - Discovered something else. When MSFT sold FS Platform to Dovetail. DT was supposed to upgrade it, at least that is the rumor. So I was checking Airports in Disc version verses the SE version, and I don't see, at least the one I am looking at, any changes. Nor did they update the airport list it seems. Yes, I realize that FSX in all iterations is getting long in the tooth, but if you are going to sort of fix it, would it not behoove you to really fix it. Bring it up to date, with the new runway headings currently on the Approach Charts, frequencies, and airport facilities which have new infrastructure and that share the area with military units?

Not sure what rumours you are reading, but this was never part of the deal for FSX when Dovetail acquired the rights to distribute it. They were very clear that Microsoft forbid them from making any major changes to the sim or its content beyond what was necessary to replace the defunct Gamespy based multiplayer and fixes needed to distribute it through Steam. This was the first part of the deal with Microsoft, which was widely reported at the time.

The second part was that Dovetail could then build their own sim using Microsoft's flight sim technologies. Dovetail used this to first create Flight School and then Flight Sim World (which was 64 bit), which they ended up cancelling before the final release.

As for upgrading to 64 bit, P3D has done this. However, it isn't a panacea for the performance issues with FSX and it does break compatibility with many add-ons.

Did not have rumors or anything. Assumed they had paid for rights to upgrade, etc. Once started looking between the two of them figured out they had not. Another person told me FSX will be around for years, yes, it will, widely used by numerous simmers. It's mostly fine.

A friend is retired Army, his son flys C-17 for AF. He was commercial pilot so got to fly the simulator for real, said it a sweet plane. In my FSX experience it flys better than any of the other ones, and I have spent thousands hours in 737/747, it's better than either of those hands down once you get used to it.

Spent last 3 weeks in spare time flying all over USA in it, from Dobbins AFB west to Mountain Home ID, and then south and east taking plane and crew back to home base. That is why asked about updated AP info. Now using one out of McChord AFB in WA. Flew that one to NAS Whidbey, and planning on extensive NW trips for a week or so. Thank you for your help and information.

Thank you went here and joined this site. Found 3 packages which will update some areas of FSX I use to fly MIL a/c. Thank you for the information.

I assume that this was aimed at me......;)

I suggest that, when you get some time, you take a good look at what they have to offer. Whilst the packages are either specific to a base and/or aircraft type, many of the included flight plans have flights to destinations not included in the package itself but to other locations that they have included in other packages.

For example a C-17 package for Base A will include flights to many other locations including other C-17 bases in the USA, non-C-17 USA bases and overseas locations. Likewise, other packages will do the same and for example a F-16 package may send some flights to the C-17 base . By combining them you will get a better AI experience. Another example is the Nellis package - it includes a very comprehensive flight plan file for multiple types but there are at least 20 other packages that I know of that also 'send' aircraft to Nellis, including types not included with the main Nellis package.

As I have already stated, many of the packages where originally developed for FS2004 - I should also have mentioned that over the past year or so, the MAIW team has been updating and converting many of the models to FSX standard. Many of the updates also include FSX style flight plans that don't need converting - if you use the FS2004 flight plans they need to be converted using a AI tool such as AI Flight Planer (AIFP).

They have also converted the main MAIW Object Library to FSX - this library needs to be installed for most of packages to function correctly.

Finally, MAIW does have a KJAN in one of its packages as I have a .bgl file for it in my addon scenery. What package that is I can't say at the moment as I don't have access to a excel based spread sheet that I use to record what addon scenery I have installed.

Also check out the scenery library here at FlightSim - there are two scenery files for KJAN. Search for

kjan_dlffsx.zip

kjan_fsx1.zip

Happy flyin'

Regards

Brian

Yep, and I did try to D/L and install the MAIW objects library and I could never get it to work. I will try again, but the file length path is part of the problem because of how long the name is. I kept them, and will try later. I will also look into the other things you said and try them too. as time permits.

Unfortunately, as you are using the default install locations, it does not help here as it has added a considerable number of characters - the limit IIRC is 256 characters.

Other than uninstalling and then re-installing (that would allow you to drastically shorten the path name) here are some solutions:

IGNORE THE COMMENTS IN BOLD ABOVE - NOT RELEVANT IN THIS CASE. INCLUDED IN ERROR. THIS REPLY WAS CUT AND PASTED FROM AN ANSWER I GAVE IN ANOTHER THREAD AGES AGO

Shorten the folder string\name - you don't have to use the recommended name for its folder. You can use whatever you want.

It is not necessary to store scenery in the default locations. You can. within reason, install scenery anywhere you want - this can be inside OR outside of FSX. All you need to remember is that:

A. You must include the appropriate subfolders - i.e. Scenery and Texture - to store the actual scenery files.

B. You must 'tell' FSX where the location is by pointing to it when you activate the scenery.

Inside FSX - this can be in a dedicated folder within the default Addon Scenery folder (e.g ………\Addon Scenery\ or …….\Addon Scenery\Scenery\) or a dedicated folder within the main FSX folder (e.g FSX\).

Outside of FSX - This can be on the same drive/partition as FSX or on different drive/partition.

In both cases you can make it as simple or complex as you want, using a dedicated folder structure that suits your needs. For example, most of my scenery, including traffic files is stored outside of FSX in a top level folder called Addon Scenery. Under this folder there are a number of sub folders based on various scenery types (Object Libraries, Basic Airports, Detailed Airports, Traffic Files, Terrain Mesh etc) followed by subfolders to hold the individual scenery packs.

My MAIW objects library is therefore at D:\Addon Scenery\Object Libs\MAIW whilst another common library that you no doubt need as you install more scenery, the RWY 12 library is at D:\Addon Scenery\Object Libs\RWY12.

Regards

Brian

well, I installed the files again, and FSX refuses to see the scenery folder with all the objects inside. I can view them in explorer, but FSX don't see them. This is impossible to install on my System. I am an administrator and just don't understand why it won't work, but it wont' I am giving up now and will look into XP11 or P3D for expanded airports with the correct scenery.

AND FURTHER TO MY LAST POST......

An added bonus if you store your scenery outside of FSX is that you, if you continue to use both the boxed and SE versions together, you can use the scenery in BOTH with no risk of conflicts - simply point both sims at the location when you add new scenery OR place a copy of the updated scenery.cfg file from the updated sim into the non-updated sim - i.e. add new scenery and activate it in the boxed FSX version then, if you are going to keep the scenery you can simply activated it in the SE version as normal or place a copy of the boxed ,cfg into the SE version.

Regards

Brian

Not wanting to sound rude or flippant but are you sure you are activating the scenery correctly...….

Try this method and see if it changes what you get...

A. Create TWO folder - one called C:\Extracted Files and one called C:\MAIW Objects

B. In the MAIW Objects folder create TWO sub folders - one called Scenery and one called Texture

C. Extract the contents of the source file into the Extracted Files folder. You can use the inbuilt windows utility, winzip or 7zip to do this. Depending on how the contents are packed you will get either a bunch of individual files or folders that contain files. NOTE IIRC the MAIW object library will give you a Scenery folder and a Texture folder both full of files. There should also be a readme file with details on how to install.

D. Depending on what is provided either:

Individual files - copy all .bgl files into the C:\MAIW Objects\Scenery folder and all .bmp and/or .DDS into the C:\MAIW Objects\Texture folder.

Scenery and Texture folders - copy the folders into the C:\MAIW Objects folder overwriting the sub folders.

E. Start FSX. Navigate to the FSX Settings page and then click on the Scenery Library button located at the bottom of the right hand list of buttons. A new window will open displaying a list of your installed scenery folders.

F. Click on the Add Area button located in the right hand list of buttons. A navigation window will open. Navigate to the MAIW Objects folder location until you have the Scenery and Texture subfolders showing in the viewing pane. Click anywhere on the white area and then click OK. This will add the new scenery folder at the top of the list. Click OK - a info window containing a statement about adding to/building the scenery database and a progress bar will open.

ANOTHER OPTION if you still have the files installed where you last tried is to ignore steps A to D and only carryout steps E and F but pointing to the appropriate location.....

Regards

Brian

Archived