Add-ons for FSX-SE question... can I add just add my old FSX add-ons?

Clutch Cargo

I don't see any reason why they won't work. It's just a matter of knowing the structure of FSX-SE, which is a little different from boxed FSX. If any of your older addons have an auto-installer, there may be a problem of it not finding the right locations.

Good luck with the cross-over:)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi Clutch,

As Charlie has stated you should have no issues whatsoever once you have worked out how FSX-SE is installed.

First you need to know where you have installed the main Steam Client (this the part of Steam that acts as the 'gateway' that you use to log into your Steam account, purchase items and then start the download/install/activation process) - by default it is installed into the default location of C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam.

Within the Steam folder you will find a number of subfolders and files. One such folder is called SteamApps - this folder, by default, becomes the location that your brought items are downloaded to and is often referred to as your 'Library' .

When you add items to your 'Library' a number of folders are created - the main one being called Common. It is within this folder that a dedicated folder is created for each product you own.

So, for example, FSX-SE will be installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\FSX-SE. Note that the FSX-SE folder name may be different - I own and have the boxed version currently installed but have invested in the SE version but have yet to install it (although I do have other Steam based products installed. Based upon what I have read the file/folder structure under FSX-SE is the same as the boxed versions.

It is worth noting that installing into the default location may cause problems - it appears to be a hit and miss affair with some users having issues and others not - it is not just the -SE version that is affected by this but also the boxed version of FSX and FS2004 and indeed other flight sims. The issues encountered are mainly confined to problems associated when adding new content where you need to edit pre-existing files - for example the aircraft.cfg file to add a new texture reference etc.

That said, the problem only appears to affect the 'game' content and not the client. You can alleviate this without having to uninstall/reinstall the client. When you install a product you can dictate a new library location for it or, if it is already installed, move it to a new location.

Simply create a new dedicated library folder where you want - for example at C:\SteamLibrary, or even on a new drive is you so wish. When you then install SE point it to the new location. The install process will create the required folder structure that will start at the SteamApps level - i.e the folder structure will look like this.....C:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\Common\

Regards

Brian

Archived