Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Okay, my newly found love (i think) of flight

Default Okay, my newly found love (i think) of flight

Okay, I have had this aircraft for a couple weeks now, it is really trying my patience with wheel landings. I could go the 3 point landings if I wasn't so damned stubborn, it's like breaking a "Bucking Bronco!" You got to hang in there, take your bumps and swallow your pride, you'll conquer it! I've had about 5-6 greaser wheel landings, out of "I can't remember how many attempts!" The bad landings have been awful to say the least. Let me show you my "devil" in sheep's clothing!

Attachment 205276

"Ain't she purdy?" Don't let her looks fool you! "She's a man-eater!"

Attachment 205277

There she goes, a "big tease!" Gets me so close to the runway, you'd think I could pull this off from this point, wouldn't you? Well sometimes I have, but don't let the 4"-6" more to the runway fool you! It can go downhill in a hurry! Anyway, I'm going to break this little sweetheart one way or the other! I will keep you all posted on my progress or demise!

Rick

Rick~ I know there must the weight difference, but is landing this one not somewhat similar to landing a DC-3?
    Anyway, nice looking aircraft. Stick with it and think positive--you'll get it!

Best of luck,
    bushp04

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

Quote Originally Posted by bushp04 View Post
    Rick~ I know there must the weight difference, but is landing this one not somewhat similar to landing a DC-3?
    Anyway, nice looking aircraft. Stick with it and think positive--you'll get it!

Best of luck,
    bushp04
    Bush - The DC3 is a "Piece of Cake" compared to this aircraft. I think it is a little more difficult, in that the nose is short and snubby, probably the CG is further back on it compared to other tail draggers. It is very sensitive when doing wheel landings! But, anyway, yes, I am sticking with her, I am not going down without a fight!

Thanks for the reply Bush! Rick

So what's so bad about the landing attempt shown. Back off the throttles and let 'er settle on the runway and no brakes till the tail wheel is on the ground, and then only tapping the brakes.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

The setup is good, Charlie, I had to take timeout to take the pic. It probably would have turned out okay! I'm getting better, but it has taken a whole lot of patience! Practice makes perfect! Never had one this stubborn! One thing I noticed, the "old give the yoke a bump when the wheels touch down," doesn't work so well with this bird! It only accentuates the bounce even more so!

Thanks - Rick
    Last edited by Downwind66; 10-11-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwind66 View Post
    The setup is good, Charlie, I had to take timeout to take the pic. It probably would have turned out okay! I'm getting better, but it has taken a whole lot of patience! Practice makes perfect! Never had one this stubborn! One thing I noticed, the "old give the yoke a bump when the wheels touch down," doesn't work so well with this bird! It only accentuates the bounce even more so!

Thanks - Rick
    Beautiful bird Rick, and it's all about throttle management. But I'm no Guru, so I'm going to shut up.

Jim

Jim - Where's the new technique you were going to put on display?

############## Never mind, my friend, I just saw your new thread! It's beautiful, well layed out, I like it, are you happy with it? ######

Rick
    Last edited by Downwind66; 10-11-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-9-14_18-54-7-32.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	205284

Yep, you too, but you probably have been flying yours for awhile. I think I have figured this out, but, won't say anything until i am sure!

Rick

Hi! Fine plane, fine pics!

One thing about a plane behavior I always worries about with a new plane, is the aircraft.cfg file, a file usually at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\the plane folder
    Open that with a simple text editor like the one which comes with Windows (just check not to allow that editor be made the default for that kind of files) and the section of interest is the one like, with mostly the following items to tweak. That might also improve a plane's behavior at landing. Just a question of trying-testing

[flight_tuning]

elevator_effectiveness=1.0 // pass to something like 1.13 or maybe even decrease under 1.0
    aileron_effectiveness=1.0 // to say 1.5
    rudder_effectiveness=1.0 // to say 1.2
    pitch_stability=1.0 // increase to about say 2.8
    roll_stability=1.0 // increase to about idem
    yaw_stability=1.0 // increase to about say 2.0

All what is stability is how the plane keeps in a attitude given with the commands (turn, climb, rudder, etc.) and effectiveness is how the commands work thence. And just keep the default values behind a double slash (that gets what is written there off FSX reading). There is also a possibility of settings with the command settings sensitivity in FSX self (I don't have the exact reference at the moment)

Usually one or both of that stabilizes the plane at acceptable values. And the other good idea is just to search with a search engine a video of that plane to get a idea of how it behaves in RW. For those old planes, that might be more difficult than for nowadays ones
    Last edited by flightsimg; 10-12-2018 at 08:04 AM.
    Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast