FSX Steam Edition

andmaste

Good morning.

Just a few lines because I need some hints.

My son (16 y.o.) still uses FS9 and FSX in an old PC with Windows Vista.

I'm going to buy a new one with Windows 10 and, since he absolutely wants to keep on using flight simulators, I think that I'd be obliged to buy "FSX Steam Edition".

Are there any known problems with FSX Steam Edition and Windows 10?

Any add-on you can suggest (there are plenty)?

Is it possible to install the program in 2 PC?

Do you have some hints before I buy it?

Thank you in advance

Andrea from Italy

Good morning.

Just a few lines because I need some hints.

My son (16 y.o.) still uses FS9 and FSX in an old PC with Windows Vista.

I'm going to buy a new one with Windows 10 and, since he absolutely wants to keep on using flight simulators, I think that I'd be obliged to buy "FSX Steam Edition".

Are there any known problems with FSX Steam Edition and Windows 10?

Any add-on you can suggest (there are plenty)?

Is it possible to install the program in 2 PC?

Do you have some hints before I buy it?

Thank you in advance

Andrea from Italy

FSX STEAM Edition is just FSX with a different installation and a management system, run through Steam.

Waste of time investing in it if you already have FSX - what he has should port across just fine.

Best choice for upgrade would be X-Plane - now available as a 64-bit application, or Prepar3D which in the current version (V4.3) is now a long way from it's roots in FSX and is also now 64-bit

I have been using FSX Steam with Windows 10 for a few years now and have not had any issues with it. In fact switching to Steam corrected a couple of issues I was having with the boxed edition.
i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD, 500 GB SSD, 2T HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 Rhino HOTAS.[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Andrea,

To answer a few of your Q's....

Number of installations - You can install it on as many PC's as you like BUT you can only have a SINGLE instance of it running at any given time.

Running FSX - There is no need to run it online. Indeed, there is no need to have an active internet connection. Once you have downloaded, installed and activated the product you can change a number of settings, via your Steam account pages, that determines how both the Client and the product functions. You can also make changes that determine how downloaded content is updated etc.

It is worth mentioning here that Steam is actually best viewed as follows:

1. The Steam Client - this needs to be installed and acts as 'gateway' for your account. Your account is where you buy products and run the download, installation and activation processes. It is also were you can control how a brought product is updated, etc.

2. Download Products Library (often referred to as the Steam Library or simply Library) - this is where the contents of your downloaded products are physically stored on your PC. This location is actually a dedicated folder (called SteamApps) which is located by default in the main Client folder. However, you can change this location if you so wish, either before or after installing a product. Using this feature it is possible to have the Client on one drive (say at C:\Steam) and the product on another drive (say D:\FSX)

By default the installation process of the Client will suggest that it is installed into the default C:\Program Files (x86)……. location - however, as this folder location is 'controlled' by the Windows User Account Control (UAC) feature this can/has cause(d) problems for some, especially when adding addons. It is better, especially with Win 10 where UAC appears to more intrusive, to install it outside of this folder, at C:\Steam for example.

WRT addons - You do not have to buy addons that are specifically marketed as for FSX-SE. at the end of the day FSX-SE is essentially FSX Deluxe with the Acceleration addon pack included (which in its boxed form was marketed as FSX Gold) - the base FSX folder structure is identical to that of the boxed edition. Therefore, the vast majority of FSX addon (both freeware and payware) will work. The only problem you may encounter is that any auto-installer may not find the FSX- SE install and will need pointing to the correct location.

As BigT-65 has eluded to, many users of the Steam version find it runs better than their boxed versions. That is probably down to the fact that the SE config file contains some of the more common (and useful) 'tweaks' that a user would have to manually make to the boxed version.

My final thought is regarding whether to buy SE or not. You could try installing the boxed version that you currently have. Many people, myself included, have done so with no issues. It is even possible for you to install and run FS9 in Win 10 - check your PM folder for info......;)

Regards

Brian

All - Again although this might be old. I played the devil to get FSX to install on Win-10 Home. Even resetting the PC back to factory. The fix is Download KB928080 fix and run this. Also, activate the program before you install SP-1 & SP-2. It will run fine on W-10Home. You will have to find the FSX.exe file, make a shortcut and put it on the desktop or on the taskbar, it will show up in the apps list, but I find the shortcut easier. I have installed the Virtavia C-17 III purchased plane into it, and it is great. I also have the steam edition, but it's currently not installed on my PC. If I do, it's going into either a removable drive or my D drive as I don't want any conflicts. I cannot tell any differences between the versions. I am so glad I found this forum, lots of great information here.

I would recommend the Steam edition, it runs smoother and faster. I had various issues with the box edition from the time I installed it on my computer until I gave up using it. Tried various fixes and recommendations on various sites. Finally stopped flying with FSX and went back to 20004/FS9. Gave the Steam edition a try when it came out and in over 1,000 hours of flying I had only one crash-to-desktop caused by a faulty freeware scenery file. I would just install the Steam edition on your new computer and forget about box edition. I find some add-ons will not install with Steam edition when the box edition has been installed or is installed. I Had both versions on my win 10 computer and removed the box edition and some add-ons would not work. Completely restored my computer including the operating system and just installed the Steam edition and the add-ons that would not install before worked ok.

Hi Andrea,

To answer a few of your Q's....

Number of installations - You can install it on as many PC's as you like BUT you can only have a SINGLE instance of it running at any given time.

Running FSX - There is no need to run it online. Indeed, there is no need to have an active internet connection. Once you have downloaded, installed and activated the product you can change a number of settings, via your Steam account pages, that determines how both the Client and the product functions. You can also make changes that determine how downloaded content is updated etc.

It is worth mentioning here that Steam is actually best viewed as follows:

1. The Steam Client - this needs to be installed and acts as 'gateway' for your account. Your account is where you buy products and run the download, installation and activation processes. It is also were you can control how a brought product is updated, etc.

2. Download Products Library (often referred to as the Steam Library or simply Library) - this is where the contents of your downloaded products are physically stored on your PC. This location is actually a dedicated folder (called SteamApps) which is located by default in the main Client folder. However, you can change this location if you so wish, either before or after installing a product. Using this feature it is possible to have the Client on one drive (say at C:\Steam) and the product on another drive (say D:\FSX)

By default the installation process of the Client will suggest that it is installed into the default C:\Program Files (x86)……. location - however, as this folder location is 'controlled' by the Windows User Account Control (UAC) feature this can/has cause(d) problems for some, especially when adding addons. It is better, especially with Win 10 where UAC appears to more intrusive, to install it outside of this folder, at C:\Steam for example.

WRT addons - You do not have to buy addons that are specifically marketed as for FSX-SE. at the end of the day FSX-SE is essentially FSX Deluxe with the Acceleration addon pack included (which in its boxed form was marketed as FSX Gold) - the base FSX folder structure is identical to that of the boxed edition. Therefore, the vast majority of FSX addon (both freeware and payware) will work. The only problem you may encounter is that any auto-installer may not find the FSX- SE install and will need pointing to the correct location.

As BigT-65 has eluded to, many users of the Steam version find it runs better than their boxed versions. That is probably down to the fact that the SE config file contains some of the more common (and useful) 'tweaks' that a user would have to manually make to the boxed version.

My final thought is regarding whether to buy SE or not. You could try installing the boxed version that you currently have. Many people, myself included, have done so with no issues. It is even possible for you to install and run FS9 in Win 10 - check your PM folder for info......;)

I have a question about Running FSX-SE "without and internet connection". How do you do this? I have tried disconnecting from the Internet and running my game from desktop shortcut and it will not run. Steam opens and wants me to sign in. Thanks for any clarification.

I have a question about Running FSX-SE "without and internet connection". How do you do this? I have tried disconnecting from the Internet and running my game from desktop shortcut and it will not run. Steam opens and wants me to sign in. Thanks for any clarification.

You need to put Steam into Offline Mode.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555

Windows 10 not good "can't fast reading" in FSX SE. I got big problem issues with FSX SE no good for Windows 10 and High Graphic Card really bad. I can't figure why. Because control that frame rate be careful with video card could be weak or too hot when FSX SE scenery will blurring and slow something memory, so, controls frame rate depends on percent down [default automated full frame rate (strange)]. I find out that Nvidia GeForce 1080i not match that FSX SE and I did feedback to Nvidia still dumb, knowing they never test for FSX SE. Need to look for video card if good match with FSX SE. FRUSTRATING! (I did downloading the aircraft "too much" and all USA and Europe Airports Sceneries "too much" cause FSX SE will trouble difficult their thinking as memory is confusing.) Most crash.

I had been screenshots a lot a lot on Facebook FSX page and Steam MFSXSE Screenshots a lot a lot so look alike FINE graphics pixels.

Looking my below PC systems.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Desktop: Cybertron AMD cpu, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 , MS Windows 10 DirectX 12, ASUS 24" 1920x1080. Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas 4 (a since 10:43 PM 7/24/2018). New 2019 "PATRIOT" Memory VIPER DDR3 8GB x2 XMP2.0

FSX SE "FOR FSIM USE ONLY"

I ran FSX-SE on Win 10 Pro for a couple of years with not a single problem. Have now upgraded to P3Dv4.3 with no problems (highly recommended).

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

loki has given you a link to the required info in post #9 - it is essential that you follow it closely.

If you do it correctly when you start your computer you will get a Steam information window stating that you have configured Steam to start in offline mode - this window will be displayed irrespective of whether there is an active internet connection or not.

The window also contains two option buttons - one to start Steam in online mode and the other to remain in offline mode - select the option that meets your requirements at that particular time.

It is also worth noting that, irrespective of this setting, the Steam Client will occasionally be updated. You can not stop these client updates although you can change the behaviour of how your purchased products are updated. WRT to the client upates - if you connect online and there is an update available it will be run and update immediately. If you connect offline the update will be downloaded in the background and next time you start the PC, prior to the Steam info window loading you will see a update in progress window as it unpacks the update and installs it.

A final tip - bare in mind that it is best to start Steam online occasionally - at least every 30 days. This is because part of the Steam clients role is to verify active accounts, partly due to security requirements and to ID dormant accounts. If you don't go online occasionally you will eventually get a reminder in the shape of a verification email that contains a unique code and the necessary instructions that you must follow to verify/reactivate the account.

Regards

Brian

loki has given you a link to the required info in post #9 - it is essential that you follow it closely.

If you do it correctly when you start your computer you will get a Steam information window stating that you have configured Steam to start in offline mode - this window will be displayed irrespective of whether there is an active internet connection or not.

The window also contains two option buttons - one to start Steam in online mode and the other to remain in offline mode - select the option that meets your requirements at that particular time.

It is also worth noting that, irrespective of this setting, the Steam Client will occasionally be updated. You can not stop these client updates although you can change the behaviour of how your purchased products are updated. WRT to the client upates - if you connect online and there is an update available it will be run and update immediately. If you connect offline the update will be downloaded in the background and next time you start the PC, prior to the Steam info window loading you will see a update in progress window as it unpacks the update and installs it.

A final tip - bare in mind that it is best to start Steam online occasionally - at least every 30 days. This is because part of the Steam clients role is to verify active accounts, partly due to security requirements and to ID dormant accounts. If you don't go online occasionally you will eventually get a reminder in the shape of a verification email that contains a unique code and the necessary instructions that you must follow to verify/reactivate the account.

Thank you for this information. Very helpful

Archived