RTW Retro Flight #99 Luxembourg to Paris . . . . . . 1962

NMLW

Luxair flight 203 is a Fairchild F-27A on a short evening flight from Luxembourg’s Findel airport to Paris Le Bourget (ELLX - EFPB). We have 325 gallons of fuel for the 153 mile flight of about one hour. We will have light to moderate cloud cover at our cruising altitude of 11,000 feet.

Thanks to:

Aircraft: Original F.27-200 aircraft model by Mike Stone, modified to an F-27A by Bernward Bockheim and Tom Gibson (with permission). Flight dynamics are by FSAviator. The original panel is by Matthias Lieberecht, modified by Tom Gibson and Bernward Bockheim with some gauges by Keith Mitchell. The 1962 Luxair paint is by Mike Stevens.

Propliner AI & Traffic: CalClassic & FS Aviator - Tom Gibson, Mike Stevens, Jason Krogmann, Manuel Jagmann, Bill Towers, Nikko Yaginuma, Richard Wright, Frederick Coleman, Dave Jones, Paul Haak, Marty Lochmiller, Ake Lindberg, Harland Sandberg, Richard Wright and Gary Harper. At www.calclassic.com

Scenery and Add-ons: MS FS2004 v9.1 Standard and:

- Luxembourg’s Findel airport is from the 1961Central Europe scenery package by Wolfgang Gersch, Harry Biard, Michael Schneider, Jaap de Baare, Nikko Yaginuma, Tom Gibson, Bernard Leuenberger and Mike Stevens. At www.calclassic.com

- Paris Le Bourget airport is from the 1960 scenery by Wolfgang Gersch, Volker Boehme and Rui Cristina. At www.calclassic.com

- The Luxair 1962 timetable from the collection of Germain Mentgen at www.timetableimages.com

- Rwy12 and EZ Static Object and Scenery Libraries at www.flightsim.com.

- FS2004 Classic Scenery Libraries v4a by Wolfgang Gersch at www.flightsim.com.

- REX FS9 w/Overdrive & SP5.

- Flight One Ground Environment Pro II

- FS Genesis UT Europe.

Click to Enlarge . . . . . .

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_01.jpg

1. 1962 Luxair timetable for this flight.

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_02.jpg

2. Loading passengers at Luxembourg’s Findel airport.

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_03.jpg

3. Cockpit checks completed, hatches closed and starting engines.

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_04.jpg

4. Taxiing out to runway 6 for departure.

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_05.jpg

5. We are off and stowing the gear.

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_06.jpg

6. Turning on course for Paris.

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_07.jpg

7. Climbing through 5,000 feet southwest of Luxembourg City.

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_08.jpg

8. We are at altitude passing over the very southern tip of Belgium about 30 nm from Findel airport.

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_09.jpg

9. We have been airborne a little over 20 minutes and are cruising over northeastern France.

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_10.jpg

10. Cruising over farmland near the small town of Machault.

More in the reply . . . . . . . . .

Larry

Click to Enlarge . . . . . .

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_11.jpg

11. Still over farm land we are about 15 nm from Reims.

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_12.jpg

12. As we approach the far northern suburbs of Reims we see the River Vesle.

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_13.jpg

13. Beginning our descent into Paris we have been routed to the southwest of Le Bourget with the River Seine below.

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_14.jpg

14. We have turned north and are descending through 7,000 feet.

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_15.jpg

15. At 4,500 feet we begin a turn to the northeast.

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_16.jpg

16. About 5 nm from Le Bourget we turn to line up our approach to runway 7.

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_17.jpg

17. Now on short final.

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_18.jpg

18. Touchdown.

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_19.jpg

19. Turning off the runway and getting parking info from ground control.

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_20.jpg

20. Taxiing to parking at gate 7 next to the Air Afrique DC-8.

Fairchild F-27A_Luxair_21.jpg

21. Parked, engines and systems shut down and passengers disembarked. Thanks for flying Luxair.

Larry

You made my day again! :cool::cool::cool: Good to see an F-27 again, (esp. with a Dutch reg.) and I like your airports of course! Really enjoyed the pics.:) Edit: I see an AI DC-6 in the colors of UAT but it is an Air Afrique one. I'll dive into that and you'll hear from me! :mad: Edited by peer01
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jan, thanks for your comments. Re the UAT colors on the Air Afrique DC-6 - I don't paint 'em I just use 'em. :(

Gérard, Appreciate your comment. Yes, Findel is small, but Luxembourg is only a little over 2,500 square KM. :)

Thanks Rick. :) The era that I fly in is the 1950s & 1960s, and not may jetways were installed at airports back then. Chicago O'hare was one of the first to have one installed in 1958. Largely because of the high price and disagreement on design features jetways didn't really catch on until the 1970s.

Larry

Yes, Findel is small, but Luxembourg is only a little over 2,500 square KMQUOTE]

I mostly meant; compared to nowadays. Instead of EBBR, I once envisioned to fly from Findel

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Larry, I just talked to Uncle Vito from Palermo, he told me he's willing to forgive you about your misbehavior regarding the UAT/ Air Afrique DC-6 fraud, if you pay me "some" money. He's a fine gentleman don't you agree?
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 years later...
Nice plane and well presented pics! I especially find interesting pic #21. Look like all passengers disembark to the tarmac and not thru a jetway! That works until weather becomes an issue!

Thanks for sharing! Rick :cool:

Yep, that worked for decades. Jet-ways are fairly new in the commercial flying. As are jets as well.

Not that I'm old. But my first commercial flights as a passenger were all on recips. We walked onto the tarmac and boarded from a rolling ramp as seen behind the aircraft in picture 21.

Michael

In fact thinking about it, my first flight on a 707, which had more space in coach than almost anyone has in 1st Class nowadays, was boarded from KSDF using a roll up ramp as well. Did I mention passenger room in coach? The console between seats on that 707 was about the same width as a typical coach seat is today!:mad::mad:

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

nmlw

Hi Larry, after a long search, I found "email" option. And I hope this message will reach you as email. Otherwise I am unaware how to send private messages on this forum.

Currently we are working along with Luxair on a special order of F27 aircraft models. They wish to use one of your photos on the packaging.

Could you please get in touch with Michael on: info@aviation-trading-hamburg.de

Thanking you in advance.

Maverick