FSX - Windows 10 October Update and/or Nvidia Driver Update

igoren

Hi,

Has anyone experience an issue with FSX and the new Windows 10 October Update? The software will no longer load after the update. I'm also having an issue with Nvidia Driver update post the Windows October 2018 update. I'm waiting to see if a future update by Microsoft or Nvidia will fix the issue.

I already contacted Microsoft support and I keep getting push back that FSX is no longer a supported game.

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue would be appreciated. It was working fine before all the new updates.

Thanks

Hi,

Has anyone experience an issue with FSX and the new Windows 10 October Update? The software will no longer load after the update. I'm also having an issue with Nvidia Driver update post the Windows October 2018 update. I'm waiting to see if a future update by Microsoft or Nvidia will fix the issue.

I already contacted Microsoft support and I keep getting push back that FSX is no longer a supported game.

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue would be appreciated. It was working fine before all the new updates.

Thanks

Be specific: What are your symptoms of `no longer loading` after the update?

What is the version number of the Nvidia drivers you have installed? What is the `issue` you have with them?

Have you tried installing/reinstalling them?

What you have tried is important, but you don't mention that either?

We cannot help unless you adopt an ordered, structured approach both to your problem presentation AND its remediation.

Back to you...

Actually, the Windows 10 October Update is not out yet. It will come out on Tuesday, October 9th, US time. Some other updates have come out, I have not seem any issues with them. A new nVidia driver update, in preparation for the Windows 10 October Update, came out yesterday. No problems with that.

And it is totally futile to contact Microsoft for support of FSX. As far as they are concerned, FSX is an end-of-life product, and no support at all is available from them.

Jorgen

FSX no longer loads when clicked on the program file. I have already done a full uninstall and reinstall of the FSX software and no luck. The software is simply not loading. I have tried running the software through an admin account and with various compatibility settings upon launch.

As far as it looks. I already have the October 2018 update. It's being pushed out in stages. I have all the features discussed with the 2018 update. So I might be on a fast track channel for the upgrades.

I'm getting a error updating the Nvidia GeForce Experience Software. The last Nvidia driver was pushed about a week ago 9/27/18 which installed correctly (Not sure on version number (GF Experience won't load). GeForce Experience isn't installing correctly so if there is a new driver I haven't installed it yet.

On another note: I updated my X-Plane software and everything seems to work fine.

My next step is to wait for the future updates to come in to see if that remediates the problem.

Actually, the Windows 10 October Update is not out yet. It will come out on Tuesday, October 9th, US time. Some other updates have come out, I have not seem any issues with them. A new nVidia driver update, in preparation for the Windows 10 October Update, came out yesterday. No problems with that.

And it is totally futile to contact Microsoft for support of FSX. As far as they are concerned, FSX is an end-of-life product, and no support at all is available from them.

Jorgen

No, actually the Windows 10 October Update has been released and is available for download. It is being rolled out in phases so not all users will see it in Windows Update just yet.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/10/02/how-to-get-the-windows-10-october-2018-update/

If you allow asinine Windows to update your drivers, DON'T! I can't stress that enough. Read this:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

I would only download your drivers from the manufacture's website.

The only thing I can tell you now is try a system restore, or uninstall your GPU driver with Revouninstaller in Safe Mode and install the driver that worked or the latest driver from Nvidia's website.

Or you could wait, and wait and wait some more which is BS!.

If you allow asinine Windows to update your drivers, DON'T! I can't stress that enough. Read this:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

I would only download your drivers from the manufacture's website.

The only thing I can tell you now is try a system restore, or uninstall your GPU driver with Revouninstaller in Safe Mode and install the driver that worked or the latest driver from Nvidia's website.

Or you could wait, and wait and wait some more which is BS!.

The newest Nvidia driver is 416.16 and is designed to work with Windows 10 October 2018 update. The `BS` is to wait on updating EITHER if you've already allowed Windows its Update.

Which is why we need to know what driver our OP is using and how it was installed. About the only thing we know with certainty is that he/she /it (maybe bother to complete your Profile first, eh?) has already had the Windows Update installed.

416.16 is working perfectly with my Windows Updated rig with P3D. I'll be trying it later with FSX on another rig.

I have just updated both of my computers with both updates. No problems. Don't forget to update the Nvidia Inspector settings (if used). Edited by Egsjr1956

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Fixed!!!! Apparently the DirectX 9 Driver from the reinstall was overriding the current DirectX 12 version. I rename d3d9.dll in the game directory and it launched. I searched online for a similar issue and found multiple threads. After a few repair attempts on the install I was able to reregister the product and expansion. I'm still not sure why it didn't launch after the Windows October Nvidia upgrade. But I went ahead and did a fresh install. Whoever needs to run a fresh install of the software it is still possible to so. Just make sure to install on a new user admin account.

Thanks for the input.

Some awesome sauce to add to your wonderful Windows 10 experience that may be relevant.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/microsoft-suspends-distribution-of-latest-windows-10-update-over-data-loss-bug/

Got to love that wonderful QC.

At the top of the website it says: "Upside: more free disk space — ."

But in reality, and since 98% of all updates are NOT needed, your HDD is filling up with useless junk. I read on one computer forum that someone stated there was somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 GB of update crap on their machine!

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Hi, today I have read (in a German computer number) Microsoft stopped the 1809 update till they found the issue that some people with elderly intel proc lost after the update a lot of files. They warned to update 1809 before. I myself updated the update and have no problems:)

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

This technological roller-coaster is a real trip.

🤞🤞So far everything is good🤞🤞

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Tonight, at 7:00 PM local time (Central European), the much-vaunted Windows 10 October Update came my way.

I have updated 2 of my 3 systems, and so far haven't seen any issues on either of them. The third will be updated tomorrow.

Jorgen

Hi Jorgen, Gratulation and I think you have modern systems?

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

FSX no longer loads when clicked on the program file. I have already done a full uninstall and reinstall of the FSX software and no luck. The software is simply not loading. I have tried running the software through an admin account and with various compatibility settings upon launch.

As far as it looks. I already have the October 2018 update. It's being pushed out in stages. I have all the features discussed with the 2018 update. So I might be on a fast track channel for the upgrades.

I'm getting a error updating the Nvidia GeForce Experience Software. The last Nvidia driver was pushed about a week ago 9/27/18 which installed correctly (Not sure on version number (GF Experience won't load). GeForce Experience isn't installing correctly so if there is a new driver I haven't installed it yet.

On another note: I updated my X-Plane software and everything seems to work fine.

My next step is to wait for the future updates to come in to see if that remediates the problem.

Here is something you might try. Download MSFT Patch KB928080, and run that. That fixed my issues.

MSFT Pushed out an update from Intel, some sort of Sound Driver for the earphone connection in my external monitor for my laptop. This update screwed up all my sound options. First it does not show up in installed programs, so it's not something you can uninstall easy. Next it replaced the drivers blowing them out of the water. So I downloaded the latest driver from ASUS, then installed it, then had to find and disable the intel audio driver in Computer management. Then had to make the speakers in LP the default, and in FSX as well. Then headphones would not cancel speakers, so had to find the headphone control in the Realtek driver panel and fix that as well. This was a pain. No, INTEL, I don't hookup headphones to jack on external monitor, and don't appreciate your driver taking over my system.

As an aside, does anyone know of a "Cargo Loading Addon" for FSX so I can load cargo into the C-17 to achieve max weight. Since all the doors operate via key commands, it would be nice to put some stuff in the plane. Thank you in advance.

• 2 years later...

Ever since I updated a GC driver I've ben getting the dredded BSOD in Windows10; IT'S A PAIN, when you're n the middle of a flight and computer needs to reboot, any advice and help will be greatly appreciated.

Berlopez

Sorry if my post doesn't belong in this thread.

Edited by berlopez

Well, this thread has been dormant for almost 3 years, but your issue is real.

What graphics card do you have, what driver version do you have now, and - crucial - is Windows 10 also updated, including "other Microsoft products"?

Jorgen

Sorry to read the thread is dormant.And I have posted wrongly; My GC is: NVidia GTX 1070; My driver vrs. 471.68 in NVidia Control Panel. My Dx entry in FSX.cfg under [GRAPHICS] D3D10=0

Berlopez

Edited by berlopez

This does continue to be an issue. With recent updates to Windows 10 and nVidia drivers, I have noticed that the different views tend to be very sensitive to frequent changes between panels and/or weather. It's almost like Microsoft's trying to discourage continued playing of FSX for newer flight sims...