Thread: Getting started in FSX as a newbie

1. Default Getting started in FSX as a newbie

Hello,

I'm just getting started in FSX as a newbie, I've completed a few of the tutorials within the game so far, but am still working on Landing (I don't see a landing tutorial?)
    I've so far been able to take off in a 737, setup the Autopilot in the 737 to GPS to a planned route, but still not the best at taking off and again on landing.

I ordered a Thrustmaster 2960703 T-flight Hotas X Flight Stick and should be getting it tomorrow (as I was previously using a keyboard/mouse to control the plane).
    So to summarize:
    How do i setup the game to just either A) Setup the game to Land & Takeoff
    B) Once i got that figured out where do I go from here?

Thanks

Continue on with the tutorials/missions. There are several that are not too long in duration and concentrate specifically on landing. Sitka Landing, Caribbean Landing, Monsoon Landing, Piper J3 Cub Approach and Landing. These are all setup to practice that "all important" landing.

Keyboard and mouse is no way to fly an airplane! You will be amazed at how well you do with the Flight Stick.

You can save a flight about 10 minutes before landing and fly that over and over again for practice.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

3. Default

I never did a tutorial or anything. I started with FS2004 and just learned all on my own. Now I use FSX. It's just a game and so you can just do what ever and just learn. Then learn how too use the ILS.

Here's a bunch of reading material if you so desire. http://www.flightsimbooks.com/

You can fly in the the Sim as real as you want. I started out with the Lear 45 then moved to the 737. It probably would be prudent to start with the Cessna. When landing just keep the runway between your yoke or legs. Do circuits around the airport. Take off fly left base come full circle and land. Speed up and take off again, repeat. I had to do this constantly to get used to my yoke and pedals.
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 10-03-2018 at 02:06 AM.

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    Why Windows 10 suxx
    FS2004 and FSX are CPU ORIENTATED games. Don't go hog wild on a GPU! Won't matter.
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bearflying88 View Post
    Hello,

I'm just getting started in FSX as a newbie, I've completed a few of the tutorials within the game so far, but am still working on Landing (I don't see a landing tutorial?)
    I've so far been able to take off in a 737, setup the Autopilot in the 737 to GPS to a planned route, but still not the best at taking off and again on landing.

I ordered a Thrustmaster 2960703 T-flight Hotas X Flight Stick and should be getting it tomorrow (as I was previously using a keyboard/mouse to control the plane).
    So to summarize:

Thanks
    I see you started recently. Did you get FSX Steam Edition? I can't find out where to put my code in. Do you have any suggestions? The instructions in the box and at fsxinsider.com don't correspond to the pages I see. Thank you

Jim

Ii live on venus where we cook eggs on our heads.

Quote Originally Posted by bearflying88 View Post
    Hello,

So to summarize:

Thanks
    The best thing to do is to keep doing those lessons. You can't really learn it by yourself - that would be like teaching yourself to drive at 5 yrs. THere's no one to really tell you when you make a mistake! If you want more, search "Flight Simulator Beginner Tutorials". Doesn't really matter what simulator or plane you're in - all the general concepts are the same.