Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: No brakes - Northrop Alpha by Chris herring

Quote Originally Posted by tgibson_new View Post
    I didn't notice that Chuck was that responder, otherwise I would have said nothing. I learned a long time ago to give him a wide berth because he responds very badly when I post something that doesn't match what he thinks is right.
    Yeah, I hear ya! I was just trying to correct his word usage. Cheesh is NOT a word and has no meaning. Sheesh is a word used to describe frustration.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

2. Default

Just for information, the Northrop Alpha normally landed and taxied without using brakes. Brakes were only used "to stop in a short space" according to their brochure - see http://www.airminded.net/alpha/alphaad.html .

Maybe the author has modelled the aircraft without brakes deliberately.

John

Quote: "to stop in a short space". Aparently you WOULD stop in a 'Short Space' alright - right onto your nose - if you braked at all - even at 5 kts (in FltSim 9). Is that 'REAL'? Is that 'acceptable'? I think not!

Of course, back then (1931) landing on a grass field the wheel drag would stop your rather quickly so why even apply brakes. That does make sense. I accept 'no brakes'. What I don't accept is it tipping over on it's nose even with as weak as you can make the brakes in FS9. So I will keep the CofG change and remove all brakes in cfg and air file and I will STILL be able to fly it and land it and enjoy the model.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Dear Sir Napamule,

what are your figures you achieved with your modifications ?

Can you please tell me your result in regards to:

1. Take Off Distance and T.O. Speed (should be 58 kts and 450 ft)
    2. Approach Speed and after Touch Down the distance to the Full Stop ? ( Appr @ 50 kts
    3. What is your Top Speed in LEVEL flight at 1000 feet ? (should be 148 kts constantly for minutes)
    4. Do your modification support Pilot controlled ILS Approaches ?
    5. Do your modification support AUTOPILOT controlled ILS Approaches ?
    6. Do your modification support at 90 kts the following: on the Keyboard HIT the CTRL + . Keys !!

Does the plane still Nose OVER still ? (or slowing down to an complete stop as it should)

In case your modification can do all this please send me your FDE files.

Otherwise I can send you my set which is DOING it all of the above. (CFG + AIR file )

Sincerely

Guenter Kirschstein

P.S. The plane dimensions are incorporated in my files down to the last inch, EVEN the wrongfully Wheel Radius are corrected and the correct Brake assignments are performed.

Guenter,
    Well I would love to entertain you with my FDE but this forum post concerns the Alpha and it having NO BRAKES. Start a new thread in proper forum and I will colaborate with you concerning the FDEs and the resulting 'change/improvement/worseing' of performance due to 'mods'. Including the changeing of tire radius and any resulting 'effect' that may/may not have on (in air? on ground?) performance (haha). Cheers. Beers. Shears. Beers. Qheers. Zheesh! (I told you - NO BRAKES! - Ha).
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I am not going to go into FDEs for the Alpha. But I will show you a video of results of my mods. Mainly that it don't need brakes and if it did it would not tip onto it's nose (which it does in FS9). Hope you like. NEWS at 11. Link: https://youtu.be/_jkS3xuPjOE .
    Chuck B
    Napamule

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4