Unable to convert textures from FSX to FS2004...

mikemorrisolsen

Hello everyone, greetings from BOG/SKBO... I am still a FS2004 user and I want to update my Avianca Colombia fleet... But sadly Juergen Baumbusch didn't update his last package of textures to FS2004, only did it for FSX... I just tried to convert some textures through the tutorial posted at kaese2002.de, but the "nconvert.bat " converter does not work for some reason... I tried it on two different computers without any result... Anyone somewhere would be able to help me with those textures properly converted??? These are the ones that I've been looking for months already...

-Avianca Colombia A319-100 New Colours "Selección Colombia" Markings N726AV

-Avianca Colombia A320-200 New Colours "Gracias" Titles N724AV

-Avianca Colombia A320-200 New Colours "#ViajeDeEsperanza" Titles N750AV

-Avianca Colombia A320neo New Colours

-Avianca Colombia A321neo New Colours

Hoping that someone can give me a hand with these ones... Very frustrated after I couldn't do it by myself, that converter does not work...

Something else, Avianca is operating a couple of new Airbus A330-300 with the new colours... Some painter would be interested in releasing it for the AI TFS model??? These two came from taiwanese carrier Transasia Airways, along with a couple of A321SL powered by IAE engines, and some different cabin windows configuration... It would be great if someone could paint these two missing textures for colombian simmers...

Thanks in advance for any help with these requests...

All the best, Mike.

Mike - I don't know if you can make this work. I've always been with the understanding that you can do things going from FS2004 to FSX (I've had good luck with Aircraft), but not going the other way, FSX to FS2004. I could be wrong, but, let's see what others might say!

Good luck! - Rick :cool:

Mike - I don't know if you can make this work. I've always been with the understanding that you can do things going from FS2004 to FSX (I've had good luck with Aircraft), but not going the other way, FSX to FS2004. I could be wrong, but, let's see what others might say!

Good luck! - Rick :cool:

Hello Rick... Acording to kaese2002.de it is possible to do that convertion, using a resource named nconvert.bat... But for some reason I can make that thing to change those DDS files into BMPs...

Here is the link with the related procedure.

http://kaese2002.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

Hi,

I've converted several AI textures from FSX to FS9. Of course it has to be for the same model.

You can use DXTBMP to convert DDS files to BMPs.

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

After that you may need to reduce the size to 1024x1024.

And you have to flip it on it's head (compare it with a working FS9 texture you have).

Also, export the alpha channel of that working FS9 texture, to import it to your converted texture (DXTBMP does all that too), because alpha channels are used differently in FSX.

Then save as DXT3 and you're set.

Regards,

DDP.

Hi,

I've converted several AI textures from FSX to FS9. Of course it has to be for the same model.

You can use DXTBMP to convert DDS files to BMPs.

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

After that you may need to reduce the size to 1024x1024.

And you have to flip it on it's head (compare it with a working FS9 texture you have).

Also, export the alpha channel of that working FS9 texture, to import it to your converted texture (DXTBMP does all that too), because alpha channels are used differently in FSX.

Then save as DXT3 and you're set.

Regards,

DDP.

Hello DDP, thanks for your answer...

I have DXTBMP as well as the alpha channels of the A32X models by FAIB, but besides that I am clueless about working on all that stuff, I am not familiar with grafics design... I dont know how to reduce the size, and how to import the alpha channels... It would be nice if you could to that work for me on those textures... It seems to be an easy work but I am lost on the how-to-do... Let me tell you about the files that I need in fs9 format, it would be great for me if you can give me a hand on this...

-Avianca Colombia A319-100 New Colours "Selección Colombia" Markings N726AV

-Avianca Colombia A320-200 New Colours "Gracias" Titles N724AV

-Avianca Colombia A320-200 New Colours "#ViajeDeEsperanza" Titles N750AV

-Avianca Colombia A320neo New Colours

-Avianca Colombia A321neo New Colours

Textures available here:

http://www.juergenbaumbusch.de/?cat=57

About the different alpha-channels for the Airbus 32x, they are available here:

http://kaese2002.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

Come on DDP, save my day...

All the best, Mike

Hello Tom, thanks for writing...

The thing is that I don't have any expertise on working with textures. I don't have the knowledge and the tools... FAIB released the models for the new A320neo family airliners, for fs9 and FSX, but the painters only released textures for the FSX model, and I am a fs9 user. I managed to convert some textures from FSX to fs9, but I don't have the other half of the material, the lights map. I couldn't find a single file available to download and install, and I don't know how to make those files by myself... Wondering if someone would be able to help me with those files, light maps for the A320neo and A321neo for the FAIB models for fs9.

Mike; The easy answer is to jump in and do the work yourself, I'm afraid to say. :)

For the basics, you'll need a good graphics program (Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, maybe Gimp). Just be aware most modern graphics programs are more concerned with editing large format photos (its overkill compared to what we work on and they tend to be "too automated"). So, an older program will usually work better. One caution with ANY graphics program- most of them will save graphics in 24 BIT mode and most of them will load the normal FS graphics but will ONLY save in 24 BIT mode. What you'll see in FS is usually a gray, bland texture because FS will rarely display anything in 24 BIT mode. :rolleyes:

Next will be a converter/viewer. You can try a "bulk converter" and cross your fingers or you can run Martin Wright's DXT to BMP program (and still cross your fingers a bit). You could also try FS Repaint (payware from Abacus) but Repaint is only really useful to see what textures are going where on the MDL (its still very useful, just don't try to produce a texture in its final form).

After that, practice and try not to get frustrated at first. :pilot:

One quick comment on DXT textures: Try to avoid repainting them, only use them as a source as a last resort. For the purpose of this post DXT adds an extra layer of file compression. While this allows the texture to "fit" better on the MDL, its mostly impossible to undo a DXT conversion without degrading the original image. Only convert a texture to DXT once you're sure its ready (and always save a back up). This is also true (to a lesser extent) with FSX DDS textures. Prior to DDS, textures HAD to be a max. of 1024 X 1024 and they also HAD to be square (ie, 256 X 256, 512 X 512, etc.).

AFAIK they never had to be square - but each dimension had to be a power of 2. So 1024 x 512 has always been fine. I've used many of these in scenery projects, and have seen a few in aircraft as well.

That said, it's best if the light maps are the same proportions as the day texture, and in the same format.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Hi,

About the lightmap files.

You can copy over the ones from the old (not updated) FS9 livery sets.

http://www.juergenbaumbusch.de/paints/Avianca/FAIB%20A321%20Avianca%20Colombia%20FS9.zip

http://www.juergenbaumbusch.de/paints/Avianca/FAIB%20A320%20Avianca%20Columbia%20FS9.zip

They should work just fine.

So, for the 321Neo use FAIB_A321_CFM_L.bmp

Regards,

DDP.

... I am still a FS2004 user and ... sadly Juergen Baumbusch didn't update his last package of textures to FS2004, only did it for FSX...

All the best, Mike.

May I suggest that you find your way to the Alpha India Group forum and go to this thread, read, and follow to the end and download a great conversion tool the developer has shared with the FS9 community. It works like a charm. A wonderful asset.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Greg, thanks for your comment... Weeks ago I found a converter tool that does the job fine... I have the livery textures properly converted to fs9 format... But I am stuck on the other half of the texture sets, the night textures, the L files... I need those for the A320neo/A321neo models by FAIB, but those painters only release textures for FSX, they refuse to release anything for fs9... I am clueless about working on that stuff, even I dont have Photoshop... No skills, no tools, and no A320neo AI on my FS 2004...

Archived