Aircraft configuration help?

coloradofly

Where in the aircraft configuration can I make changes to help get a aircraft off the ground or off a shorter run way quicker I have a 737 900. It seems to take a long time for it to left off and I would like to add in my aircraft to take off on shorter runways any help?

Nice aircraft, are you using any flaps? What is the length of the runway, you have been flying this aircraft

on?

My normal flap setting for takeoff, is 10*. I usually don't have to fool with the elevator trim, but on larger aircraft w/ heavier loads and high fuel levels, you might have to start using the elevator more. In the pic I have attached, I have circled the elevator trim in white. In this pic it is set for "5", you might not need that much up trim, you could roll the wheel back (down) to where it just gets into the green area, and you should have plenty trim to takeoff! After you've been doing this you will learn how to tweek fuel levels, how to cut back on passenger counts to help your takeoffs! The 737 really has never been a problem child with takeoffs! Just use the flaps on takeoff and roll that elevator trim back into the green and I think you will be okay!

Enjoy! Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum. Great place to learn from the seasoned veterans as well as contributing yourself to others!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]205033[/ATTACH]

Rick :cool:

I have set the trim and flaps but it is hugging the runway I want to get it off quickly off short runway. what values should I change in the aircraft.cg?

How short do you want this bird to jump off the runway? I just took off from a 7017' runway, and it got off the ground with lots of runway left! You still haven't given us the length of the runway you want to takeoff from! Configs are not always the answer.

Here's a well prepared chart to show runway requirements. Their chart shows the runway distance for the 737-900 at 6791'. Of course, that figure can change quickly based on density altitudes (you sound like you are in Colorado, density altitudes play a big factor out there), fuel loading, passenger and cargo loading, wet conditions, all play into it. Good luck!

If the OP is in Colorado, using fields closer to sea level would, indeed, help him get off the ground sooner. He still needs to answer some of the questions asked above, since just blindly modifying the config file can cause more problems than it fixes, if it fixes anything at all.

To the OP: It's not a simple change to "Runway length=3,000 feet" or such in order to change the performance of an aircraft. Wind, temperature, altitude above sea level, runway surface, engine power, wing airfoil shape, flying and control surface area and more may have their effects. So please answer the questions others have asked above, in order to get meaningful answers.

Where are you flying out of? What is the temperature? What length of runway are you requiring now vs what you would like to see? What are the winds when you try to take off? What are your trim settings? Which 737? Is it payware, a freeware download, one that came with the sim?

It may take something other than the .cfg file, or... ?????

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I see this from time to time, Rick, where someone wants help but is unwilling to supply the information you need to come up with an answer. I don't understand it, but it's not just this forum or simming or aviation -- even an RVing forum I'm on sees the same thing on occasion.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I see this from time to time, Rick, where someone wants help but is unwilling to supply the information you need to come up with an answer. I don't understand it, but it's not just this forum or simming or aviation -- even an RVing forum I'm on sees the same thing on occasion.

I hear that, Larry! This OP's replies were a little off the wall, like he was wanting to create fighter jet takeoffs from a passenger airline jet. When he asked the question, I tried a 737-800 at Savannah, Georgia, RWY 36, 7017' runway, and I left the asphalt long before getting close to the end! It's about what can be expected for an airport being only 50' above sea level. I guess what the OP heard from me didn't impress him all that much! He sounded as if he wouldn't accept any answer that didn't include revising the aircraft.cfg file! Oh well, such is life!

Have a nice evening Larry! Rick :cool:

coloradofly where are you? If you have sorted out the problem then let us know. You only have 5 posts here and so maybe are very new at flight simming and we are all here to help but you to give those who have bothered to try and help you out some feedback.

I also was wondering at what airspeed are you trying to take off? If you don't have enough airspeed for the flap settings and aircraft weight the wings will not generate enough lift to get you off the ground.

Generally I would imagine that you would need at least 140 to take off.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Colorado,

Notice this is called flight simulation, which implies re-creating flights as close to the real world as possible on a PC.

If you want short-cuts to get airborne quickly that's up to you, of course...

Only if you know how to do it. Which, again, is why answers to questions are required.

The answer is: It's complicated.

You would have to modify not only the aircraft .cfg file but also the .air file, reduce the loadout weights (Fuel, Pax and cargo) possibly boost the engine power and keep the aircraft within it's operating CofG envelope. Also operating it in optimum weather and altitude conditions.

This is clearly too much for a `how do I modify the aircraft .cfg` simplistic question, which reveals much about how complex the OP's knowledge is, which is unusual for a P3D simmer (common enough for an FSX user).

I suspect there will be no answer.

• 1 month later...

My guess is that some posters are simply too embarrassed to continue with the thread they opened.

btw, in real life some years ago when Chicago Meigs was open, a United Airlines 727 landed and was dismantled for exhibit at The Chicago Museum of Science and Industry where it is still on display.

https://www.avgeekery.com/united-727-made-a-sporty-final-landing-at-meigs-field-for-museum-exhibit/

Sherm

Hi Sherm - Did you ever see the video of the landing? The Capt said 115 MPH, sounds way to slow for that aircraft, but he did it. Looked like the plane stalled right over the runway! If you haven't seen it, below is what I found on YouTube. The age of the video has taken it's toll on the quality of it, but you can still appreciate what this Capt was able to do!

Rick :cool:

Archived