FSX Won't start after repairing

RichardFS

I tried to download a freeware scenery two days ago, and followed the instructions to the key, and the scenery still wouldn't show up. Somehow in my efforts to make it work I accidentally overwrote the default scenery files. It almost always asks my permission before overwriting a file but didn't for some reason this time. I then repaired FSX via the CDs, and it said repair was completed, but not only are the scenery files still overwritten, now FSX won't start. It shows the splash screen for a few seconds and then disappears.

FSX with Acceleration or Deluxe? Did you uninstall either Acceleration or the 2 SPs before doing the Repair? Are you getting any errors showing up in your computer's Events Viewer log? Will I need to find my old trumpet and play TAPS for your dearly departed Sim?;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

FSX with Acceleration or Deluxe? Did you uninstall either Acceleration or the 2 SPs before doing the Repair? Are you getting any errors showing up in your computer's Events Viewer log? Will I need to find my old trumpet and play TAPS for your dearly departed Sim?;)

FSX Deluxe box set. I didn't uninstall anything before doing the repair. I'm getting the "Kernal power" error when trying to start it but nothing else. My entire FSX experience over the past few years has been carpet bombed with issues like this one, I've already done the clean reinstall (with the weeks of trying to re-calibrate my hardware panels and controls and trying to find and re-download my add-ons) twice, I don't want to have to do it again. I've tried deleting the logbook.bin file, no luck. deleting the flight plan files, no luck.

FSX Deluxe box set. I didn't uninstall anything before doing the repair. I'm getting the "Kernal power" error when trying to start it but nothing else. My entire FSX experience over the past few years has been carpet bombed with issues like this one, I've already done the clean reinstall (with the weeks of trying to re-calibrate my hardware panels and controls and trying to find and re-download my add-ons) twice, I don't want to have to do it again. I've tried deleting the logbook.bin file, no luck. deleting the flight plan files, no luck.

All I can do is wish you good luck. This happened to me last year and the only alternative was to save all of my aircraft and other important files and do a new install.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Richard,

Can you tell us a little more about your system, OS, Hardware, and whatnots, that Kernel Power thing seems a little suspect perhaps. Even though the error arose around the time of your freeware scenery install and subsequent attempt at repair and removal, perhaps file overwrites there are files missing in critical areas. I wonder if there is something amiss with your Power Supply, have you checked and reseated all hardware and know that your PSU will sustain the system when the sim attempts to load.

Long time back I had frequent Kernel Power errors BSODS relating to that darn Kernel the error reports were so non-specific it was hard to track down, it turned out my brand new Power Supply was not feeding enough power to the hardware (CPU Ram & Graphics card) It could even be dust accumulation in the PSU. If not then I am sorry to say as Mr Zippy says above you might indeed be reinstalling the sim from scratch.

If you are it is best to install into a non protected OS folder (ie; not Program Files or Program Files x86) or independent internal drive. Once reinstall is complete take ownership of Admin permissions over all sim Files and folders subfolders).

Uninstallation is a two part process... for FSX:MS & Accpack done from the OS ControlPanel uninstall a program panel. Backup Uninstall important sim folders and addon aircrafts you wish to use again, then uninstall FSX Acceleration. You could of course run a repair of the FSX at this stage then test if the sim loads, if it does then reinstall (Acceleration (SP1 is included) if the sim does not load after this then full uninstall reinstall will be the best course. Uninstall Accpack again then do it again for the remaining FSX Standard installation.

Re-install - run the sim at each stage, activate as necessary online, test the sim stability in vanilla state. If satisfied then continue to load reinstate / install your Addons.

A note about Win10 & FSX Accpack activation - sometimes Win10 users have found that after installing AccPack they are stuck in 30min demo loop, let us know if you face this problem, there is a simple and elegant solution we can describe or point you towards.

I've stated this in the two rival Forums before: For about the price of an upscale hamburger, you can now install FSX-Stream and avoid all the hassles of the CD's, please some of the inherent problems of the MS 2006 version. Plus, always backup every FSX folder that contains downloaded add-ons...

And don't forget, there are files stashed in folders about the HD. They don't get deleted when you un-install, nor are they over-written when you do the new install.

Files in folders like C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX, which holds your FSX.CFG, DLL.XML, EXE.XML, and a few others. Another is C:\Users\\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files, where the Logbook.bin, and saved .FLT files, is kept.

And don't forget C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\FSX, where the Scenery.cfg file is located. If you think it's corrupted, and preventing FSX from running, this is where the file you want is, NOT the one in the FSX root folder. That is a reserve file, used when FSX initially installs.

You can re-name the Scenery.cfg file in the Users folder to something else, to make a back-up file of it, then copy the virgin .cfg file to this folder from the FSX root folder. FSX won't start without a valid Scenery.cfg file, located here.

FSX won't over-write this Scenery.cfg, or any of the other .cfg files located in these "remote" folders when you do a fresh install, so you'll be right back to where you started. If one of them is the problem, you won't have solved anything. The only one you don't have to re-install manually, so to speak, is the FSX.CFG file. Just rename it, and when you run FSX the first time, it will create a new one. Don't rename it, it won't. FSX will continue using the old one.

Something to think about.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 1 year later...

I have FSX Deluxe and Acceleration. I was updating my SDK files and accidentally did a repair on the FSX Deluxe Disk. After that FSX would start to load and then quit after a few seconds.

I then went to the SDK files and loaded the FSX, FSX SP1, and FSX Acceleration SDKs so that component was up to date the way I wanted it.

After that FSX still was not working, and I really did not want to start from scrath and reload everything. So I tried just doing a repair on FSX Acceleration only. That worked like a charm and I am back flying again with all of my scenery and aircraft intact. Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Melo